What (if any) opiates won't work rectally?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Forthesevenlakes, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Hello again to all!

As many on this forum know, rectal administration is a very efficacious and money-saving way to use many drugs. It is not without its safety pitfalls, but when dosage is reduced accordingly from an oral dose, it can be a way to get maximum bioavailability without IVing a substance. With pills in particular, rectal administration is far safer than IVing but can give the user comparable bioavailability in some cases.

So, what I am wondering is, are there any opiates that are LESS bioavailabile than oral or insufflated routes when used rectally? Any opiates that just dont work at all rectally? If your I have any experiences to post, bioavailability percentages to put up, or any evidence one way or the other as to what CANT be used rectally or what doesnt work well, post this here!

Many thanks to swiNicaine for providing the idea for this thread, when he noted that ambien does not seem to work as well rectally, and might even be a waste of drug. Granted, ambien is not an opiate, but you get the idea. If you can think of other drugs that are not well-absorbed rectally, perhaps a catch-all thread could be started in the pharmacology forum as an easy database that one could look to in order to avoid squandering products!

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I suspect it depends more on factors related to rectal admin itself (e.g. intestinal pH, amount of liquid used, presence/position of stool) than to the drug itself, although I think pills that bind their active drug tightly (often in these cases the active drug is not water-soluble or only minimally water soluble) will definitely present a problem. It seems to SWIM that benzos will be far more problematic than opiates, but there may be examples of opiates that don't work too well rectally...

3. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Yes, I was thinking minimally water soluble, specifically, although it could be any factor. He suspects it would be the more unusual synthetics that would be poorly absorbed, most of the classics seem to go over well. Codeine might possibly act differently though since it usually has to be metabolised to morphine in order to work...come to think of it this route might make codeine entirely ineffective.

4. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim's friend can say that hydrocodone done rectally does not do much unless it is dissolved first and then inserted. If it is not dissolved first, You will be seeing it again later when visiting the bathroom. The idea is for a faster and stronger onset but there will be no onset at all if the pill is not dissolved. Other factors, such as the presence of stool in the pipeline, will also hinder absorption like Nicaine said.

5. Kurey

Kurey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    hello, i was just wondering, i am prescribed on hydrocodone 10mg, and ive heard that if you take them in the bum that it kicks in faster and stronger than orally.

6. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Hi Kurey,

Please use the search engine (up and to the right, slightly) to look up more information about this. Many opiates are more efficacious rectally. Also take some time to review the rules, particularly those involving self incrimination.

7. Kurey

Kurey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sorry about that, i did know that i couldnt tell what i was prescribed on.

8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    You can, for sure. I just want you to have a working knowledge of the rules before posting about use of prescription medications for non-prescription purposes. Dont use SWIM (someone who isnt me), or any number of other hypothetical terms, when describing activities which might be illegal. That's all. As for the hydrocodone, I find that opiates work rectally at 1/4 to 1/2 their oral dose, and the rush is much more intense.

9. Kurey

Kurey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    OK I have taken about 6 hydrocodone 10mg a day sometimes more, so do about half that abotu 3, and how should it be done

10. Kurey

Kurey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  11. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
  12. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well SWIdr hasnt run into any opiates in paticular that do not get absorbed fairly well rectally. But he does know that some opiates like Oxycodone are just as well absorbed orally, so one might not want to go through this process just to obtain the same results one would get from an oral dose. SWIforthesevenlakes thread located here: https://drugs-forum.com/threads/22807 is very helpful when dealing with opiate/opiod bioavailities, which would show You which opiates fall into this catagory.

13. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Oxycodone is absorbed fairly well orally, better than most opioids, however I find that he gets much better results from rectal administration (faster onset, stronger high, longer peak), but the high does not last as long. But, the good swiDr is right, for many people, the process simply is not worth it since the high will be powerful either way.

After some more thought, I am convinced that codeine will not work rectally, due to the necessity of having it metabolize into morphine to work. Eventually, the codeine would make it to the liver and metabolize, but there would be a lengthy delay time, and presumably, much lower efficacy of any of its metabolites that actually reach the brain.

I am curious as to if anyone has tried this with codeine and what their experience was. HOWEVER, do not take this as a request for anyone to experiment with it. I am more wondering about past attempts with this drug.

14. Scurus

Scurus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Forethesevenlakes:

so this does work well with hydrocodone?

i had read page you linked before i came to this post and it didn't mention much about this specifically...

is it much more of a hassle? the pills are fairly big and from swim's attempts at extractions it doesn't seem that much (pill material) will desolve to the point of being placed in a syringe. this is considering I am trying to take all of said chemical, and not the yield from a cold water.... which would still seem like alot of water to use.

what methods (more specifically for hydrocodone) are worthwile?

i know this guy who is really anxious to put things in his arse, but doesn't feel motivated without an added bonus ;)

15. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    What I would do for rectal hydrocodone use is to do a cold water extraction first to remove the APAP, then use the filtered aqueous product for rectal administration. Use as little water as possible. Or it might be worth it just to drink the product.