Drug info - What is Trazodone?

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by oldman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    yes I know it's an anti-depressant that can be used in lower doses as a sleep aid, but is it really an ssri or something else. I have read elsewhere that it inhibits the re-uptake of seratonin but I'm not sure if that puts it in the same class of other ssri's like prozac, lexapro, or effexor. I had a script for it for a sleep aid and he finds it works well for him.

he wonders if it would be the best if one should lay off the trazadone for several days or a week before doing mdma because of it is an ssri it would surely diminish any of the mdma efffects correct? how about as a late sleep aid after a night rolling would it help with diminishing seratonin syndrome or would it be best to take an ambien?

I has used it as a sleep aid after rolling and doesn't really recall any greater negative side effects but this does not mean that it would always be. he doesn't roll that often maybe once every other month never more that 200 mgs (including a booster). so he's not delving in toxic levels but he would like to keep what effects he has intact.

2. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: What is Trazadone?

DESYREL (trazodone hydrochloride) is an antidepressant chemically unrelated to tricyclic, tetracyclic, or other known antidepressant agents. Trazodone hydrochloride is a triazolopyridine derivative designated as 2-[3-[4-(3-chlorophenyl)-1-piperazinyl]propyl]-1,2,4-triazo-lo[4,3-a] pyridin-3(2H)-one hydrochloride. It is a white odorless crystalline powder which is freely soluble in water. Its molecular weight is 408.3. The empirical formula is C19H22CIN5O . HCl

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Chemically speaking, the above is correct. As an anti-depressant it was not to good. It made people dizzy and tired - as did such as Amitriptyline (Elavil) and related. But never to be defeated, the drug company now manufactures it mostly as a sleep-aid. Still listed as an anti-depressant in the USA, it is an effective knock-out pill(s) for insomnia with a very high LD50 and very little known potential for recreational (abuse) use.

Most prescriptions for anti-depressants were switched to SSRI drugs, though Amitriptyline is still prescribed rather widely for people who exhibit/complain of side-effects from the SSRI's. Trazodone less commonly. Unless the doctor has white hair and his medical journals are collecting dust.

4. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:

well swims doctor has no hair, but in his defense I don't like to stick to one sleeping aid for too long. he feels like switching around keeps certain pathways fresh and maybe helps with tolerance. just a hypothesis though.

he pretty much doesn't use benzos unless it's a special occassion where he really needs to be knocked out. he knows the danger of abusing them and tell dock not to steer in that direction. Ambien works okay for him but won't get the whole night through once used regularly. Lunesta has been okay too but there is an awful aftertaste the whole next day that he doesn't like.

so thus lead us to trazadone which does seem to work well at a full night's sleep. he doesn't seem to have any negative side effects to boot. he was most concerned about the possibilty of it being a true ssri and interfering with some other subs that he may use from time to time.

what do you guys think about that?

5. BobTheGreat

BobTheGreat Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Ambien CR might be up your alley and its approved for long term use or rozerem.

In swim's experience as a sleep aid trazadone works okay. He has found if he isnt already at least a little tired it takes a large dose to really do anything other than make him feel like he wants to lie down for about an hour or so.

6. BobTheGreat

Reputation Points:

Forgot to say trazodone works for unisured people like swim. At like 1/10th of the cost of abien it hurts the wallet a lot less at the pharmacy.

7. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  8. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:

Bobthegreat, I do use ambien cr but doesn't find it gets him more than 6 hours, traz at he can go 8. for him it is the next best xanax, he doesn't do well with those and once you start to get tolerance with benzos it is definitely not fun getting free.

Jatelka read your post was waiting for you to drop in. you calim it does selectively inhibit reuptake or seratonin, but also that it does not behave like the other ssri's.

So what is your take on post mdma (8hours) consuming and ssri to reduce any symptoms or seratonin syndrome?

if you think it is a bad idea with the leading ssri's but trazadone operates differently? I know there are mixed ideas about the post roll ssri supplement.

I has done traz post rolling twice with no noticeable neg symptons. now that he is not a kid anymore he only usually takes about 125mg mdma with a 75 mg booster at the 2 hour mark. then no more than 100 mg of traz 8 hours after the first.

one the other end would you think that regular use (at least five days a week) at low doses for sleeping would work against you for future rolls? I know other ssri's would but the caveat (I hope) is in your post saying traz does not behave like other ssri's.

please don't take my sunshine away... but if so how long?

9. BobTheGreat

Reputation Points:

I was taking 150mg of trazadone a night for a while to help with insomnia. He rolled several times during this period. He felt just the same as when he wasnt taking traz.

10. Freaky

Freaky Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Swim just stopped taking Trazadone, as 12-14hrs sleep a day, plus inability to remain conscious for more than 3-4 hours once up and lack of coordination left swim stilll depressed, and unable to pretty much anything

11. godzcamera

godzcamera Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have been taking trazadone 50mg to sleep for about 2yrs now. I find that trazadone helps alot to get a great night sleep with no side effects other than a sudden hard on. I has figured out that the window that trazadone gives you to slip into sleep is not a large one so if I am not in bed waiting for the window, I will miss the window an then swims chances to sleep have been missed. after 2yrs I has perfected the timing and method to not miss the window to sleep. I had taken ambien which I would wake up and find his door open or wake up in other rooms. I would sleep walk on ambien so swim stopped taking it for swim feared were he would go while on ambien. even so while on ambien swim still prefers trazadone to ambien any day of the week or for that fact any other sleeping aid.

swims dr. also verified that trazadone was an anti-depressent that didn;t work well at all. an old anti-depressent which means its not a ssri if its old. right? swims dr says that trazadone has better use for a sleep-aid as i can atest to.

I has to say when taking trazadone make sure your mind frame is set to go into sleep mode for swims experiance is theres a small window you must catch to fall into sleep.

12. ezav420

ezav420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.

what happened when You missed the window?

13. BobTheGreat

Reputation Points:

It doesnt work and one just lays in bed with his sober thoughts and hearing the worst songs possible like I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN YOURE NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN. To all the sober sleepers reading this thread: have fun hearing that tonight.:)

14. WashHeights187

WashHeights187 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o

I got a virtual verbal spanking for trying to identify trazadone. I was given 16 100mgs, I believe, and couldn't identify them even though I should have thought to go to a pill id site. so i say to the bitch queen moderator CHILL OUT MAMA it ain't that serious! I don't know where You come from, but where swim comes from ( yeah just check my user name! ) we take it easy, swim hopes You isn't some uptight midwesterner, or worse an uptight Englishwoman!!!
    Ok, back to Swim's point...swim ingested two one night and felt all the typical effects, very heavy head with nausea like feelings and complete lethargy...followed by vivid dreaming and quite weird reactions. Swim imagined blanket had a deep well in it and spat a dry mouth loogie into it, then only to awake realizing WHOOPSIE it's my blankie!
    Swim likes benzos but would only use trazodone in the most EXTREME of situations in the future, like coming off a trip or dealing with serious insomnia, which swim thankfully does not suffer from.

15. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

My oh my. Speaking of "chilling out" - may I suggest some reading? I know you're new here, but flaming people is not only unnecessary here, it's also against the rules. Have a look:

http://yeodoug.com/articles/text/what_happened.html

That said, trazadone has some very disturbing side effects. Such as vivid nightmares and a feeling of impending death. Maybe the anti-depressant effects are due to feeling relieved that one didn't drop dead from it: Either scared to death by a nightmare, or fainting while walking down a flight of stairs(it happened).

In any event, I'm glad I have crossed this molecule off the list.

- Nagognog2 in a fur coat.

16. staples

staples Made with real human! Gold Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

? Serotonin syndrome is caused by too much serotonergic activity, trazadone increases serotonergic activity by blocking the reuptake...

17. WashHeights187

WashHeights187 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o

Thank you Panthers I have most trust in You for two reasons...You has Alex Delarge as pic and two makes plenty of sense to swim. Alex Delarge sir, 14 years sir, murder sir!
    That being said, swim came across trazadone by accident and rightfully so...I am not a lover of being bombarded by impending doom which is what swim's first experience was like. While not completely " bad" it is not just up swim's alley, geez WHOSE alley is trazadone really up?
    Although I has more he may just hold on to them or get rid of them, I had a klonopin scrip once per month which does he just fine...in addition to swim's regular diets, trazadone fits in not at all.
    Does You suggest traz is not to be fooled with AT ALL? Swim can say for certain that he has very vivid dreams anyhow, without the use of chemicals, and enjoys vivid dreaming. the only redeeming value I have taken from his traz experience is it's vivid coloros and efect on rem sleep, if any. what would You suggest? btw, where is You located in the US, Uk, elsewhere?
    I've just come from the hospital, your victim has Diiiiied!- Inspector Deltoid

WashHeights187 added 1 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Uhhh it was 18 years sir, not 14...correct? I was 8 when first seeing Clockwork and has never looked back since...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  18. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

In the book by Anthony Burgess, Alex is 14. In the movie his age is 18 - if I remember the script.

A friend of Bongo was prescribed trazadone for insomnia. His instruction were to take 3 with food just before bedtime. It would knock him flat. The next morning he'd be in a fog.Then Seroquel appeared on the market - and no doubt the pharmaceutical salesman offered Doctor Mengle a vacation to Aruba as he started prescribing that crap. Used Bongo's friend as a guinea pig - had him up to 900mg before Bongo liberated him. But that's another story.

Suffice to say, he didn't care for either one.

19. WashHeights187

WashHeights187 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o

wow that IS some story! Doctor Mengle AND Bongo? Well Swim actually encountered a ufo shaped trazadole last night RIGHt before sleep. and the verdict is out...it sure as hell does give some vivid dreams, or should President Reagan's corpse say nightmares!!! Dim's milk bottle was beseiged by image after viloent image...a St. Paddies parade where I was in a bus accident, as real as they get, then swim encountered a VERY Irish droogie who, upon hearing that the Butthole Surfers HATE St. Paddies, proceeded to destroy his house, light a fire in his trumpet and burn some poor girls arms str8 to tha bone!
    Only it wasn't bone, there were guitar strings under there swim tells ya! Oh yeah, your humble narrator was also beta down by a posse od flag burning thugs! Wow...You may think I has some imagination, which is true...but I has never had THIS many violent and bizarre dream sequences back to back WHEW!
    In the novel, he is not a Ludwig Van's Ninth freak either, was it Mozart?