1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - What precautions do you take when buying Kratom?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by 25Love, Jul 18, 2015.

1. 25Love

25Love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello,

My friend Jessica is a huge pothead who is thinking of using Kratom to help her wean off weed. She knows this will be substituting one addiction for another. However, she is stuck in a low-wage job and due to her addiction to weed cannot pass a drug test to move up in life. She's unsuccessfully tried quitting weed several times and is hoping Kratom can help her quit long enough to get a better paying job, as well as help with some emotional issues in day to day life.

Here's what she asked me to post:

Kratom is legal in my area, but I'm still concerned due to the stigma about it. When you buy Kratom online, do you use your real address and actual credit card? Or do you get a different mail box, use a throw away card, things of that sort? I am worried about using a throw away card because the vendor specifies that the address must match exactly, and I've had problems with those cards not matching even when I enter everything right.

Does Kratom come in discreet packaging and show up discreetly on the bank statement?

I wasn't able to find information about this with searching so I hope I'm not asking something that's against the rules to ask. Been lurking for awhile but only posted once before. xP

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There's no reason to worry about buying online if it's legal. The only negative things I've heard of are people getting international bulk shipments seized by customs, West Coast customs (I've yet to hear of a shipment passing through NY and getting seized).

All in all, it's a pretty obscure drug. Even attempts to stir up media hype haven't attracted much attention.

Read the Kratom Buyer's Guide. Start out with a sample pack from a reputable vendor, experiment with lower doses at first and see what you like.

3. 25Love

25Love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello,

Thank you. Jessica was worried she'd be questioned about what she's using it for. She's going to put her worries behind and go ahead and order some on Friday.

4. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    To be honest I'm not sure kratom is going to substitute weed for the simple fact the known active components of kratom work in a completely different manner than THC does. THC works on cannabinoid receptors while kratom is mostly known for its opioid receptor activity.

Kratom is also not effective via smoking, so it can't substitute that physiological need to smoke something.

kratom addiction can be both physical and psychologically addictive, read the addiction sticky on this forum for more information so your friend can make a informed decision.

As for tips I recommend that your friend:
    - avoid extracts, they're either a) garbage, b) raise tolerance to where you have to take massive doses and it'll cost your friend a shitload more paying for extracts vs plant.
    - order from a supplier in which their business depends on kratom sales or at least the majority of their business is kratom. Don't waste your time ordering from legal high places, their quality will likely be junk or it'll be something else entirely different.

I personally keep my use on the down low for two reasons:
    a) its embarrassing to be addicted to it
    b) protect its legal status via obscurity, word of mouth can be a powerful thing. Last thing I want is other people addicted to this stuff and giving kratom a bad reputation.

5. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have actually reduced my marijuana intake drastically since I started using kratom. Sure they don't necessarily provide similar feelings, but to me that's kind of the point if you're trying to quit one drug. Kratom to me is like anti-weed; it's made me more active, more motivated, and more social. I think it's a perfectly viable weed substitute because of my own experience with it.

The addiction should not be downplayed. But honestly Cannabis addiction can be just as bad as Kratom addiction, especially if you're taking lower doses of Kratom which aren't going to produce the more severe withdrawal symptoms. OP seems aware of the risks, and considering her situation they seem like acceptable risks if they will help her move up and on in life.

(I know I should throw in some disclaimer about not using drugs to deal with emotional issues and life problems. So there it is. Realistically however I am of the breed of humans that simply can't deal with life's problems without chemical tools. It can be done successfully and I think we need to accept that some people, many people, will simply never lead a drug-free life. And why should they, if they're using drugs safely and responsibly?)

Considering how cheap Kratom is I think this is a pretty good plan, as I said I think a sample pack of some different strains and some dosage experiments is the way to go. Stick low, don't use it all the time, read plenty of reports from people who've got experience, and it could be a big help.

6. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I dont mean she shouldn't try it but I want to make sure her expectations are realistic, it could work but it would be a mistake to not let her know that these psychoactive chemicals generally can't substitute one another in the psychological effects department.

If she smokes weed as a method of escapism then it would have a higher chance of helping because she would probably not be so concerned about the type of high rather just wants to get high. If she's looking for a thc high then she's not going to find it in kratom.

Kratom does have the distinct advantage of being legal in most places and even being illegal in places it's not a drug typically tested for. Still it does have its own set of risks and I think it would be irresponsible of me to pretend like kratom is aspirin.

7. 25Love

25Love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Jessica wanted to update that she found a reputable vendor, used her real information and everything was discreet and went well. The stuff took forever to ship and Jessica was a little worried, but it seems all is well. She is hoping it will be able to substitute weed for her, but isn't sure. She's not sure why she enjoys weed so much - the escapism certainly helped at first, but at this point the experience isn't really the same because her tolerance is too high and she can't seem to quit long enough to fix that.

She likes the feeling of being "out of it," but would also like something she can go out and do normal things on, and is hoping Kratom will be that thing. She's hoping eventually she won't need to rely on drugs (even the legal ones she's also on) to be okay with life, but unfortunately isn't there yet.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

8. (NS)-M-Lo-Reason

(NS)-M-Lo-Reason Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kratom is a VERY good everyday functional high. The opioid/adrenergic mix of action gives a bright mood, dopey mindstate, and during the first few hours an urge to talk/interact with other people. Considering weed so often makes being around lots of people unbearable (at least it did for Manny), and in many cases makes a person cease talking or emoting in any way, it is nice to have another plant ally to rely on when you actually want to do something involved. Kratom does not cause paranoia or alter thinking (besides elevating mood and possibly causing irritation) and it will be very hard if not impossible for someone to tell you've taken it, that is unless you overshoot the mark and spew up green stuff that looks like it shouldn't be ingested by any organisms lacking hooves.

It is very similar in effect to hydrocodone taken with a strong cup of coffee, so if you have experience with the milder opiate pain killers you will recognize the effect.

Make sure to read about addiction! While kratom is safer than opiates/most synthetic opioids and less addictive, it will still cause a habit if taken every day for an extended period, in most people 4-6 weeks will be enough to initiate a full scale habit. And opioid agonist withdrawal is ALWAYS bad shit. There are stories of people spending thousands of dollars on kratom in a few months, getting up several times in the night to redose and stave off withdrawal, and building astronaumical tolerances that neccessitate spending more than one would on crack cocaine.

Be smart! Weed IS addictive, despite what that weird white guy with dreads swears to you outside the 31 flavors. People experience mild withdrawal, (this has been demonstrated in users of full agonist CBD drugs like JWH-XXX, the withdrawal from these is narcotic like, and it stands to reason that partial agonists like THC would cause withdrawal to some degree as well. It's probably delayed by a few days due to the chemicals fat solubility, causing a natural taper) and are even forced to seek treatment to quit marijuana. I don't belittle a weed habit. However, kratom is without a doubt a more addictive substance, and quitting is quite a bit more painful. Think carefully before you carry out this plan, I am not too sure it will lead you down the road of happy destiny...