1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

What to do for a headache

Discussion in 'Codeine' started by Tortoise, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Tortoise

Tortoise Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 19, 2007
    from Australia

Enrico (some dude I know) uses codeine recreationally quite frequently. Problem is, he copped a pretty bad headache/migraine just the other day (for which he usually takes some OTC codeine tablets) only to find that they did pretty much nothing to alleviate his pain due to high tolerance! CWE are inpractical when you need a quick hit for pain relief... he doesn't know what to do if it happens again.

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Feb 26, 2006
    Opiates aren't always the best treatment for migraines, either. OTC solutions include kali phosphoricum (could find it in health food stores), water, caffeine+ibuprofen, etc. Acetaminophen isnt really a good option because it's not an effective anti-inflammatory.

Tryptan drugs, like Imitrex, and Midrin also help but they are prescription only. They are serotinergic, and for some reason this helps SWIM with his headaches alot more than conventional painkillers. They really do work!

Opiates don't really treat the problem, only the symptoms. I have had terrible migraines where he took oxycodone, or hydromorphone, or fentanyl, only to realize a few hours later that the headache was still there when the drug wore off! If You gets these headaches often, it might be worth talking to a doctor.

Also, this is less well-documented, but ingesting psilocybin mushrooms sometimes can help prevent migraines for months afterward, according to some anecdotal evidence. I have noticed that when he uses them, he will often be migraine-free for a month or two afterwards.
  3. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Jul 3, 2004
    from U.S.A.
    Swip and his girl have noticed this as well. Interesting to find somebody else confirm it.

Also, for immidiate pain relieaf siwp's girl has discovered that a small dose of salvia d. leafs smokes plainly (like marijuana) can do the trick with immidiate results. Keep in mind, swip is talking about a small dose, one bowl smoked slowly and not held in or vaporized... just smoked with a regular pipe and lighter.
  4. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Dec 12, 2006
    from U.K.
    Ibuprofen @ dosages of 200mg/400mg work wonders for my headaches.

The irony of it all is the fact that your headaches are probably caused by your opiate use.

Just to re-iterate what was said above about CWE's not keeping well, I'd like to point out that Codeine will deteriorate with heat, excessive bright light, and time.

Non-medicinal remedies for headaches are also highly effective. Use a search engine to find Brainwave Generator, which creates altered mind-states using binaural beats. There is a preset on the free version which alleviates headaches. Put the audio file on a cd or MP3 player and listen to it with headphones.

I'd be interested to see if it works for anybody else. All the binaural stuff is allegedly true.

But anyway...Ibuprofen works.