What to do in case of a bad trip?

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by Creeping Death, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I was thinking about trying LSD or mushrooms for new years (never tried psychadelics before). The only worry i have about it is having a bad drip, like getting extremely paranoid or suicidal. So i'm wondering what you can do in case this happens.

Is there a way to bring yourself out of a bad trip and sutch. And in case you cant, is it a good idea to smoke a lot of weed or take a lot of valium to knock yourself out, rather than hanging out for 12 hours feeling terrible.

2. djryand

djryand Newbie

Reputation Points:
    First off, be in a very comfortable setting, a good, positive mind state, and have a sitter that you feel very comfortable with, and start with a small dose. Doing these things should be more than enough to keep you from having a bad trip.

Another thing is to keep in mind the entire time that it is only a drug and it will wear off, so there is no reason to worry.

Don't worry about it too much. You should have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

3. djryand

djryand Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Oh yeah. Forgot to add: If in the event that you do start to get freaked out, it would not be that bad to have some sort of benzo (xanax, valium, ativan) around. If you must take it, start with a low dose.

I would definitely not recommend smoking pot the first time you trip. It will only intensify the high.

4. elbow

elbow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Also, don't be afraid to state your needs. For instance, if the music is freaking you out or the lighting is too much, or there is someone around who is making you feel paranoid-then ask if anybody minds if you change the music/lighting or go somewhere else for a little while. I mean, don't be a selfish asshole, but something as simple as a minor environmental change can really help snap people out of a bad trip, especially music/lights. Just don't worry, you will be fine. It is not like you will become suddenly crazy, just remember it is from a drug and will be over soon.

Once whenI was on 2c-i and thought that I had lost feeling in one of my arms, 'cause it was not moving when I told it to and it felt abnormally heavy and also warm. I was kind of worried but just told myself that now was not the time to worry, that I would see how I felt the next day and if it was still wierd, then I could freak out. I just went to sleep with a "dead arm" and woke up perfectly fine. So really it is about making certain that you retain a segment of your rational mind.

5. Growling_grover

Growling_grover Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can not be stressed enough, be in a comfortable enviroment and have a relaxed state of mind (no depression, big insecurities or trauma or stuuf like that), No telephoneeither, "normal"conversation is not possible and when you should see people or telephone someone it can freak you out a little. (I accidentally picked up the phone once [​IMG])

Doing it during daytime and walk in the woods or beach or whatever is very nice (with an experienced or sober sitter that is)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    The way I think about preparing for a trip is to imagine that I am
    about to regress in age to very young childhood. Like when you're a
    little kid things will be both more awe-inspiring, and more terrifying,
    and you will have little ability to deal rationally with either state
    of mind. So having a "parent" nearby (a sitter) is a good idea, and
    planning to only put yourself in situations where you are comfortable,
    entertained, and not likely to become defensive or anxious, is key.

7. djryand

djryand Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I like that advice Vic. I've heard something similar before from some psychedelic guru but forgot which one: a child sees the world through psychedelic eyes.

8. HippieD9

HippieD9 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The best advice is a strong will, and a good sitter. Just keep in mind that you're trippin, and that things will be just fine tomarrow morning. A sitter with a calm voice and a little ice in a wet washcloth do wonders for calming you down too.

Peace,

D.

9. TheSilverFox

TheSilverFox Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Here some tips I do when I plan on tripping many were said above. Do it when your relaxed, calm, and positive. Mindframe is a big factor. When I have a sitter, I usually make a deal with them. Like you can free range of my apartment food, drink, tv etc. Just do not bother me and come in every now and then to check up on things dont watch me at a constant basis. That makes for a better trip I think. Darkness is always good, at least for me. If you plan to trip with music, have it some cool and calm music. Ambient or mellow. Some bands I trip to is Floyd, Doors, Trance/Techno. I know that sounds cliche but trust me trippin on stuff listening to hard metal and whatnot is not a good idea. If you feel like the music is bothering you turn it off. Tripping with friends can create a rather interesting experiences and stories.

10. Dualpower

Dualpower Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Be with someone else who knows the drug and understands

When having a bad trip, change the situation you're in, move locations, change lighting etc (as mentioned above)

Also don't be terrified if you realize you shouldn't have taken a drug
    because you were previously not in a good mindstate - it will only make
    things worse. Actually, I would expect that for some drugs / doses of
    drugs the intensity of the experience is unexpected by any amount of
    preparation and stress/terror can be imminent.

As long as you can find someone to talk you down you should be
    fine. In the absense of people just repeating the notion that you will
    be fine and making a focussed effort not to be freaked out by things
    can help a lot. Talk out loud if you have to.

11. dmax

dmax Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Dualpower's advice is key: don't get pissed off at yourself for doing
    the drug. Once you're on it, try to enjoy it, otherwise it's a
    waste. I've spent hours sitting around wishing I hadn't taken
    something. There's no way to go back in time, so just relax and
    have fun with it.

12. dastardlymonkey

dastardlymonkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    have an experienced guide on hand. i can vouche that ciggarettes are a good thing. i do not know if the reduce the effects of the psychedelic but sometimes it is what holds it all together. if something does not feel right abort before taking the drug. it is better to deal with it before your high. mindset is very important. do not go overboard your first time. benzos and anti-psychotics are also very good to have on hand. i haave had to feed people thorazine and seroquil on a few occasions.

EDIT: NEUROLEPTICS (THORAZINE ETC) ARE HIGHLY CONTRAINDICATED WITH PSYCHEDELICS, DO NOT ADMINISTER. thanks, nanoEdited by: nanobrain

13. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hope you had some procyclidine to hand as well - I've known people have dystonic and EPSE reactions with as low as 25mg thorazine(aka chlorpromazine, aka Largactil), and the last thing you want on acid is a locked jaw, neck, wrists and shoulders, with your cheeks creeping towards your forehead and no control over your eyes as they decide to roll into the back of your head!

Please don't feed trippers anti-psychotics - they're not safe drugs, especially the old-school ones like largactil, haloperidol and clopixol. Atypicals such as Seroquel and Olanzepine are a lot safer, but still have the potential to bring about similar side-effects. If you must use a chemical to bring someone down, stick to benzo's or a little bit of good beer.

Keep it safe!

14. Nitrate

Nitrate Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Wow, counter drugs for the counter drugs.

You know maybe the best thing to remember is if its not something
    speedy or sedating (ie a true hallocinogen) the worst thing that ever
    happens (other than some mildly supported urban legends) is your a
    littly freaked out for 8 hours. If you made sure you have a
    sitter and a day to kill (dont have to pick up your grandparents at the
    airport later) then nothing can really go wrong. There is no
    really easy way out with more drugs - sorry i started the thread in
    this direction. I just though people should know that a smoke may
    help a bit but your not going to find an "LSD undo".

15. jduba

jduba Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    FREAK OUT!!! have had one bad trip and there was no way that i could
    have prep. for it just one of those outa your control type situations.
    i just ate xanax until the trip went right away

16. Tavz

Tavz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I tried acid for the first time on Monday. It was a mixed bag. The trip started out great, everything seemed really funny for the first 45minutes, then out of nowhere the backround in Everybody Loves Raymond started to melt. I did a double take and it goes away. So I figure I better go take a piss before it really kicks in. By the time I get back to my bedroom I am tripping. For the first 3 hours its great, everything is melting and changing shapes and changing into other objects. Colors are going from extremly colorful to black and white, really crazy. Sounds kinda freaked me out though, it was coming in waves, it would sound normal, then really low, then high, then far away ect... Anyway, during the 4th hour I started to get really anxious and paranoid which only got worse as the night went on. It came out of nowhere and I have no idea what caused it.

I learned a few things that night though. "The most powerful mind-altering substance known to man." is not a phrase to be taken lightly. Make sure the environment is comfortable, no phone, no people or distractions. Have a sitter (which I did not but wish I had). Its called tripping for a reason, it lasts a LONG time, my trip lasted just over 8 hours, the come-up time was only about an hour so thats almost 7 hours of tripping hard.

Also, I learned why people say they were "fryin", at about the 5th hour I could feel heatthough my eyes and it felt like my brain was justfrying. Acid is some crazy shit. Its awesome though. [​IMG]

17. Emperiorjack

Emperiorjack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    Would taking some melatonin work?

EDIT: TAKING MELATONIN DOES NOT WORK. thanks, nano
    Edited by: nanobrain

18. xctico

xctico Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from costa_rica
    "In otherwords I partialy agree with bealzabub, take with orange juice or something like that."

LOL you mademe laught bigtime. Once I was told that orange juice wqs
    good thing to drink during a trip, I heard it was a catalizer and it
    could intensify the trip. I drank about 2 gallons in a week [and 2 hits
    a day for 7 days], I think it was most of what I ate for that whole
    week.lol, the good ol days...

On the following months of that heavy trip, I was threathed with
    Seroquel and Olanzepine [among others], the side effects of those
    antipsicotics are awafull, I rather live with the nice little shini
    lights[​IMG].

seroquel was specially rough, I was totally useless, sleeping about 18
    hours a day and falling asleep the rest of the time. awefull drug. Plus
    I had several uncomfortable feelings of cuasipain in my arms, they felt
    as if in an uncomfortable position no matter how I placed them..[​IMG]

19. spacemonky

spacemonky Newbie

Reputation Points:
    having been in precarious states of mind before, I can say that benzodiazepines and alcohol (NOT AT THE SAME TIME - don't ever mix the two) were lifesavers, especially when coming down from a trip. and be careful when mixing grass and psychedelics.

20. Meth0d

Meth0d Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I reccomend writing the time you dosed on a piece of paper, and the expected duration. I find it helps me keep perspective when things get sketchy.Edited by: nanobrain