What to say to a girlfriend who is using a lot of different drugs.

Discussion in 'Family & friends' started by alinator, May 9, 2006.

1. alinator

alinator Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o
    Hi everyone. Glad this forum us here.

I started dating a woman about 2 months ago. We sometimes smoke pot together. Pot is all I do. I noticed that she was really into alcohol as well though. Generally, when we go out, she gets at least buzzed. As we dated for a while she got more comfortable and recently emailed me telling me about her night. Hanging out with some friends, they crush up Percocet and snort it.

She is already on prescription meds Wellbutrin for depression and Klonopin for anxiety. She’s very athletic but has some back problems so she often winds up on pain killers as well (hence the Percocet). Wellbutrin is not supposed to be used with alcohol but I’ve never seen her care. I don’t know much about Klonopin.

Just before telling me that she had crushed up the Percocet, she reveals that she has done coke from time to time. I find out this weekend that “time to time” is pretty much every weekend. I had never tried any drug harder than marijuana and was interested. I tried coke with her this weekend. Don’t know how much I did. It was probably stupid and I won’t do it again. It really did not do anything for me other than keep me awake… I don’t see the draw.

So, the night starts with her drinking wine. From wine we go to coke and do that for hours. To sleep, she then takes her Klonopin and a muscle relaxant, Soma. About 2 hours later, she gets up and gets another Soma. I’m watching her in shock. Of course, I am watching because the damn cocaine won’t let me go to sleep. I didn’t know what to do and was surprised that she would mix all those drugs together. I am truly naive about drugs other than pot.

So, I have a couple of question. First of all, is a person who uses coke only once a week an addict? I think of addicts as people who do anything to get high. Maybe she is not addicted to coke and maybe she is. I hope that you all can give me some insight there. She certainly seems to at least be addicted to getting high; it’s just that the substance changes from night to night.

What kind of danger is she in, how concerned should I be for her right now? She seems very cavalier about mixing these drugs. The coke seems bad enough. But, taking things to come down, including alcohol and even more so muscle relaxants, seems really risky to me.

Finally, I intend to talk with her about this problem. I don’t have any desire to be around this kind of thing as too many people are counting on me for me to flirt with screwing up my life – it’s already gone too far for me. What kind of reaction should I expect from her when I talk to her about this? I really like this woman. If I had my preference, it would be that she gives this stuff up. She’s got a lot going for her. If I can help her, I’d like to. I know all I can do is talk. So, advice on what to say would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  2. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Its hard to say whos an addict and who isnt. Mixing cocaine with alcohol is potentially dangerous, as it produces cocaethylene a toxin to the liver. Taking benzos (klonopin) after using cocaine is very common, often times its the only way to get to sleep at a somewhat reasonalbe hour. Mixing the alcohol, benzos, and soma isnt the greatest idea either as they are all CNS depressants. Taking cocaine and any of the depressants at the same time can also be dangerous, the cocaine will speed your body up for a short period of time then the downers really kick in and its a shock to your body. Now all drug use has its risks and consequences maybe she knows them and is carefull of her doses, but it doesnt sound that way. Im not sure you will be able to get her to stop using entirely, but maybe sit her down and tell her youve done some research and found out that the mixes she does can be dangerous and try to get her to do some research of her own so she knows how ot be carefull. Its a tough thing to bring up and talk about without ruffling some feathers so beware, but if you feel this strongly about it, it needs to be discussed. If she cares as much about you as you do for her then she should be willing to compromise.
    Also check out the thread about safety and drug combos for a more comprehensive and detailed list and explaination of the dangers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  3. alinator

alinator Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o
    Thank you IHrt.