Opinions - What would SWIY have done? (Moral judgements about alcohol)

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Akewstick, Nov 26, 2006.

1. No. Nobody should endorse anyone younger than 18/21 drinking, much less actively aid it.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No. Things like this should be up to their parents, not random SWIMs from the street.

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I remember being 14 and having hassle trying to get at booze, I say give the girls what they want.

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I was walking along a prety quiet road tonight, 6pm, dark. A group of 4 13-15 year old looking girls were standing outside, and one of them got SWIM's attention, and when he took his headphones out and she said "Will you buy us alcohol?". This was right out side an off license, but the girls were being careful not to be seen by the people working inside through the windows. The girls weren't offering anything other than the cash it would take to buy the booze.

So, what would You have done?

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I am quite often approached by minors and asked to buy them alcohol, which he never does. Other than the fact that doing so would be illegal he would also feel a certain aqmount of responsibility should the kids in question do anything foolish while under the influence.

3. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    idk 14 is a lil young to be buying booze for.... dont get em too much

4. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wouldn't endorse giving younger people alcohol as they are more likely to abuse it and with a developing mind it wouldn't be good.

I leave it up to the parents to educate their kids about alcohol and see that if they allow them to use alcohol they do so responsibly.

My parents were always cool with letting me have a glass of wine or beer with dinner when appropriate, though it was more of an occaisional thing. Even when I was quite young, special occaisions like Christmas or Thanksgiving meant a glass of wine with dinner. My parents also didn't binge drink in front of me when I was younger either. End result, I abused alcohol to an extent after high school, but that was mostly due to social context and I didn't go nearly as overboard as other people. I barely abused alcohol at all in my adolescence, and even when I did I would never go overboard.

So I wouldn't help the kids buy alcohol. In the US the drinking age is 21, which I dont know if I agree with, but still in America I wouldn't buy an 18 year old that I didn't know alcohol either as its illegal and if they do something incredibly stupid I don't want to be held accountable. The girls you were talking about weren't even legal adults, so the legal consequences for such actions are especially pertinent, and its more likely (I'd say its downright certain) they weren't going to drink responsibly.

Option 2 sits the most right with me.

5. wellhelm

wellhelm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    Swim voted for the third one although he agree's with swijesus that 14 might be to young. I would not have a problem buying for anyone 16-20.

6. London_Bloke

London_Bloke Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: What would You have done? (Moral judgments about alcohol)

For what it's worth, just a few weeks back several of us had a very similar conversation. If you'd like to see what the results were, here's a link back to that thread:

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/24857

7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    SWIM might have just taken their money and walked off depending on how much was offered. Lesson learnt!

8. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    I voted for the third option but to be honest SWIM judges each situation like this on its merits, sometimes he will, sometimes he wont and sometimes I will do as Nature Boy says or just put his own own tax on the purchase. easy money!

9. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have took the money and walked off, has bought it for underage kids. But after one of them got drunk and got hurt in a fight, swim swore off buying for minors.

10. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I did get the booze for the girls, they were all so scared, and when he returned with the beer, he said "i've just done a good deed", his reply was a blank stare, and slowly taking the bag and change from SWIM. SWIM walked quickly away. I didn't even think about it at all, she asked, he agreed and then he was in the shop. It was only afterwards he thought "i've just got lots of little girls drunk, some people might object to that."

11. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As hypocritical as it sounds, when I was unable to get alcohol I would have loved to have had someone buy it for me. In fact I have heard of people paying homeless people to do it for them. However, if someone asked me I would probably say no. Its partially because I can be an asshole but partially because I really don't want to go out of my way for such a trivial thing. As for their parents, it would hardly be a reason for me. Chances are these kids' parents drank underage as well. It isn't much of an uncommon thing.

12. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I voted for swim and these are his reasons:

I would not get booze for anyone who is not allowed to be drinking specially young girls. First reason, it's illegal, so your breaking the law for someone you don't know.

Second reason, a bunch of teens with a lot of booze can end up with someone wasted or in the worst case dead.

Third reason. I've been there and I remember I got pissed when someone didn't want to get my booze i.e my older brother, but I also remember how stupid I was and the stupid things I did when I was drunk at that age. God knows I'm lucky to be alive.

I definitely prefer being a jerk and say no. Better be safe than sorry.

13. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    in denmark there's a 15year age limit for vodka.

Remember being in France when I was 13, and I could buy vodka from the store. In my opinion, the US rules on vodka are insane

give the girls what they want

14. Misha

Misha Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    in Serbia kids of 14 years drink vodka(in plastic bootle),rakija(serbian national drink,50% of alcohol).everyone has some strong alcohol in their house.and if you wont to buy it,no matter if you have 13 of 18 years,there will be no problems to do it.By last explorations Serbian teenagers(14-18 years)drink two more times alcohol then a milk! i drink since i had 14 and this situation here with alcohol is normal thing.everyone drinks and everyone will sold you a drink.