1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Other - What's a good Kratom substitute?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by allme, May 27, 2015.

1. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hi again

Since it is looking like Kratom will be banned in the UK, I'd like to know if there is a good substitute out there? What do others plan to do if the ban becomes a reality?

2. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    All psycho-active substances will be illegal, there is no legal substitute.

The illegal substitute would be Opiates but I would not advise that for one second.

Stock up while you can or taper off it.

3. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Okay thanks...I should of worded my question differently ...what I am really asking is what makes a good substitute when you take Kratom for anxiety/depression?

4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Therapy, anti-depressants, exercise.

Kratom is bottom of the drug ladder, which is why it is so popular/safe.
    Next step us, using drugs, is opiates. Probably poppy seed tea or codeine. Not recommended.

5. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Okay...I guess I am in a panic because nothing has ever worked for depression/anxiety.

I just bought a load of kratom so I can slowly taper off.

I am now on 12g a day....how slowly should I taper?

Forgive me for posting a lot but this is a huge deal for me...I have never in my life been happy and productive and found something that helped me lead a normal life. And now I have heard my whole life is about to change back to how it was before. I have just been promoted to manager within an agency I work...I start training in September...I now question my ability to do this knowing I won't have kratom. This is a very sad day.

6. Amazing Jeans

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    allme - How long have you been taking Kratom? In my experience Kratom is great for anxiety for the first year or so but it just masks the anxiety and eventually your anxiety will get worse.

It's always the best policy to try and beat these issues without drugs. I'm not for one minute saying it's easy as I suffer with many issues myself.

7. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have been taking it for around 17 months.....started taking a bit much and things got worse but have recently cut it right back and felt better again....

8. blacksparrow

blacksparrow Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Codeine CWE is your next step... (look on forums for more information)
    I am so sorry to hear it's becoming banned in the UK; is this 100% certain?

9. frizz

frizz Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Even if it does get banned surely you can still order it from another country? It's banned where I live and I still get it.

don't panic yet! Don't doubt yourself, it's you who got promoted not the Kratom.

10. blacksparrow

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    allme, I didn't read the post you made about how you got the job.
    Maybe you are not taking kratom for the right reasons? If you are using it to relieve anxiety / stress, there are so many other things you can try: meditation, other herbal supplements like kava kava or valerian root, try exercise when you can squeeze it in. I thought you were talking recreationally.. because that would suck to not be able to get it!

11. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kava and valerian will be banned as well with this new law. The stupidity of this law is mind-boggling.

I would suggest kanna (sceletium tortuosum) for anxiety/depression, but I guess that will be banned as well.

I would suggest looking at other options to supplement your kratom use while you taper - exercise, mediation, diet changes, etc. If you are able to, stock up a decent amount before the ban.

Even after the ban, you probably will be able to still get kratom - it just may be more difficult/expensive.

12. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    @ Frizz - Wouldn't I get into a lot of trouble if I managed to buy it anyway? I have no idea what the penalty will be. What are the implication for you if you were caught? It may of been me that got promoted but it was the Kratom that eased my mental health issues enough for me to be able to function and work well. I fear I am going to lose everything I've worked hard for.

@Blacksparrow - Maybe I was just masking the issues but does it really matter when I was leading a happy, fulfilled and productive life? I couldn't sleep last night with all this going on...feeling a lot of panic and anxiety over it all

@ Cousin Merle - Wouldn't there be repercussions to obtain it when illegal? From what I understand, some countries it results in a short prison sentence and fine. Wouldn't the same thing apply here?

I guess the only thing I can do is pray it slips through the net which is not very likely at all.

13. HunterST

HunterST Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I would email your current supplier and ask them if they have any information about the possibility of Kratom being banned. Express concern about not being able to get any if the ban includes Kratom and state that you rely on it for medical issues and see what they say. You might be pleasantly surprised. I know of one supplier who plans to 'look after regular customers' no matter what happens with the ban :thumbsup:

14. Amazing Jeans

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    How do you know he will be able to import the Kratom?

15. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    There will always be vendors who are willing to ship to countries that have banned drugs, thank Jebus.
    I don't know if any vendors will survive operating within countries that have banned it however, the cost of getting caught importing a kilo of kratom for personal use is nothing compared to importing a ton for resale.
    People will have to rely on foreign vendors, at least while English vendors get their legal representatives on the case to see what can be done.
    The problem with legal knee jerk reactions is that they are often not constitutional and often illegal or they at least have loopholes that can be used.

Keep in mind that importing kratom will be illegal, the risk is not on the vendor selling it but the person importing it should it be discovered.

16. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    @ianzombie

Once Kratom is banned here, what kind of trouble would we get into buying it from other countries?

17. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I think it will depend on how they classify it but i would imagin it would be no different to getting caught trying to import any other illegal drug.
    Keep in mind that while kratom is hardly heroin, the police have been known to play sneeky games when it comes to charging someone.
    Cannabis for example, when someone gets caught with a plant they have been known to weigh the plant and charge the person with the weight as if it was all cannabis.
    Getting caught with a gram of mephedrone might lead to a fine or even a criminal conviction for a first time offence, don't expect the police to take into account that 10 grams of kratom night only equal 1 dose, they could easily treat 1 kilo of kratom as they would 1 kilo of any other drug if they wanted to make an example of someone to set precedent.

18. HunterST

HunterST Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Unfortunately, he didn't share that information. He just said that he had plans in place for the worst case scenario and would be able to look after his regular customers. This a UK based vendor that a friend of mine has dealt with for a year and who seems very genuine. That said, you never can tell and I've been stung by vendors i thought were reliable before in the past - just not with this stuff.

However, I am not banking on his 'plans' and I am already stocking up - just in case!

Here is a piece of information that I found stating that possession will not be illegal.

The legislation, being published on Friday, will make it illegal to produce, distribute, sell or supply “new psychoactive substances” in Britain, whether over the internet or through a high street ‘head shop’. It will not, however, make simple possession of legal highs a criminal offence.
    Edit to add: another source said that Importing any legal highs could carry (up to) a 7 year Jail sentence.

It says that The legislation will be published on Friday, but I do not know whether that means that it will be effective immediately. . . . . anyone?

@Ianzombie - If kept in double sealed, air tight bags, does Kratom have a 'shelf life' - after which it starts to lose it's potency?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Kratom will last for years in airtight bags with as much air removed. Vacuum pack them and put them somewhere dark and cool (back of the wardrobe) and it will last as long as you need it.

20. blacksparrow

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Cousin_Merle,

OMG :O That sounds horrifying. I don't actually understand this at all. What is the logic behind this? Wouldn't you want people to be happy so that they effectively function in society? One guess is that pharma companies are cluing into this, and of course we know what kind of meds THEY want people to take. It's a possibility.

I can KIND of understand kratom (it is an opiate, after all) but making valerian root and kava kava illegal I really have a hard time grasping.

@allme: I can understand the hold kratom can have over a person, believe me (as I sit here with my kratom drink) Have you tried anything like meditation? This may help you sleep. I work out a lot so I am usually naturally very tired in the evening.