1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

What's Coming For Drugs-Forum part 4: Social Groups

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Alfa, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    As we approach our journey away from vbulletin software to our new website, we will also move away from vbulletin social groups software.
    Our 460 social groups have been moderately active with daily new messages.
    Which actually is amazing considering the crappy functionality in vbulletin social groups.
    Most other vbulletin websites have completely dead social groups.

With the launch of our new website we had the opportunity to completely overhaul social groups.
    The new approach to social groups will greatly affect Drugs-Forum as a whole.
    Not just because of really nice functionality and its full integration,
    but also because Social Groups will offer a shift towards a different concept than traditional forums.
    Those of you familiar with Sub-Reddits will recognize much of the concept.

Keeping up to date
    Whenever new content is posted to a group you have joined, you will receive an instant alert.
    On site and also per email if you activate the latter.
    Its also possible to subscribe to a category of groups, which will keep you up to date on new content and events in that category.
    New threads and replies to new group threads will appear in the 'New Posts' function of the forum. To the members who have permission to view the group.
    Groups also have an Activity Stream which shows all activity in the group.
    Recent and Trending group threads will be displayed on groups home.

Group Leaders
    If a group leader disappears, then a group can easily go dead. On the new site this is resolved in several ways.
    A group can have multiple group leaders. And different levels of group staff, with different levels of permissions.
    So if one group leader disappears others can still manage the group.
    Group leaders can reassign group ownership. But its also possible to report the group and aply for group ownership.
    Group leaders can configure what content they want to display in their group.
    Group Leaders can assign Group Staff to their group. If a group grows large with multiple forums then its best to have more members managing the group.

Group sub-forums
    As a group leader, you will be able to create unlimited forums for your group. This gives you much greater freedom and allows you to cover more topics.
    This is one of the features that will enable you to create a mini-community within Drugs-Forum.

Group Calendar
    Groups will have a calendar so that you and your group members can add events to it. Reminders are sent for upcoming events.

Group Features
    Every group has a video & image gallery, a logo and a cover. The group logo will be prominently displayed.
    There is also a newsfeed, a message wall, group statistics.
    To prepare your social group for the migration, please make sure that the logo image is larger than 280x280px.
    Otherwise the image will look bad on the new site.
    Active groups and featured groups will be advertised on the groups home page. New groups will be advertised on the site home page.
    Just like now you can have public and private groups. Additionally there will also be hidden groups.

I have very high hopes for the new social groups.
    I expect that groups will get a lot of traction because everyone will see public group content.
    And it's easy to start a new group.
    While Groups still fall under DF rules and the reign of DF staff, groups will also become mini communities with their own staff and subforums.

2. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Dark Muse Titanium Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from the peanut gallery
    Thank you for the expanded features and visibility, alfa. I'm particularly happy about the ability to add co-moderators to my groups. I'll do my best to make sure my groups remain active and to support the expanded role that you want them to have in the DF community.

3. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    These features are fantastic! I was actually trying to bug/pester/harass you in chat the other day to ask about one of the features you've announced here, specifically about having more than one group leader and I'm very pleased it's included along with all these other improvements. Well done sir!

4. perro-salchicha614

Reputation Points:
    Alfa, do you think it would be possible to merge my Opium Den group with the Opium and Poppy group (since the owner hasn't been active in quite some time)? I am really excited about the direction that the groups will be taking.

5. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Currently its not possible to merge groups. On the new groups system it will be possible to move discussions between groups. I will see if we can get a merge function.

6. perro-salchicha614

Reputation Points:
    What do you think of the idea of starting a group for group leaders so we can discuss ways to improve participation in them and strategies for managing discussions?

7. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    That's an idea to revisit after migration.

8. beentheredonethatagain

beentheredonethatagain Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    Perro very interesting idea for a owners social group!

Alfa , bravo! Sounds so 2020, could you elaborate on hidden groups, please...;)

9. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Hidden groups are groups you can get invited to. Only members of the group can see its content. This has various benefits.

For example it allows for sharing of content (discussions, video, images, documents, etc) that you would not want to share with the world, but do want to share with a group of DF members. Like explicit content.

Another example are our forum crew groups, which are groups dedicated to managing our forums and helping the staff with quality improvement and supporting moderation.

10. monkeyspanker

monkeyspanker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've done a search and looked and looked, I still can't see how to start a group, tips anyone?

Sorry if I missed something obvious,

M~

11. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    If you searched then why are you posting your question about this site in an announcement thread about the new site?

12. jellohead

jellohead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    What happened to groups? All the ones I were part of I cannot find links to?

13. aemetha

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    Groups have not yet been imported. The site migration is still happening, and the wiki and groups will be here in due course.

14. perro-salchicha614

Reputation Points:
    @Alfa, Do you have any idea when the groups might be imported? I was obviously a lot more active in them than most, and there isn't a whole heck of a lot for me to do here without them.

15. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Unfortunately the social groups software that I was planning to import to (and for which we built an importer) has stopped working and just has too many issues. A new importer needs to be build so that we can migrate groups to new software. The new software has less options that what you saw on the demo, but it works. This importer will cost money that we currently do not have.

16. aemetha

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    Would it be possible for this to be added this as one of the donation required functionality requests when you have time to work out the costs? I suspect there are several members who would donate towards this.

17. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Yes, I am currently inquiring with 2 developers what the costs would be.

18. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Apprentice Sorcerer Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    Hopefully we Can manage this in an As fast As possible Way.
    Some of the Groups' content is lacking very much to work with. (e.g. Harm Reduction, Pain management etc.)
    I would also throw something in for This cause. I second the idea for another donation Run.
    BBW

19. perro-salchicha614

Reputation Points:
    Alfa, if you want to start a donation campaign for the groups, I'll make a contribution. Do you have any estimate of the cost yet?

This place isn't the same without my little den of iniquity...

20. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    The new groups software is getting close. Initial testing is looking good. We need some rigorous testing being done this week to see if it really works. If yes, then we will have groups back soon.