1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences - What's the difference between crack and powder cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine & Crack' started by Cerealbox, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerealbox

Cerealbox

Reputation Points:
    I've never done any form of cocaine. Never really appealed to me. But it seems the world thinks crack is the world's worst possible drug you can ever do and coke, well it's not pot, but it's not a "hard" drug. Except my understanding of crack was that it just had baking soda and shit in it so it'd be a solid you could smoke. Should be the same chemical in there, you're just delivering it a different way.

Am I wrong? Is there a difference? If so, how different do they feel? And if not, am I justified in telling everyone who says crack is not like coke that they're idiots and it's the same chemical, it's just black people prefer crack so it's "dirty and evil"?

2. I_MISS_160s

I_MISS_160s Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Well... ok then. Ill take a stab.. except for the "black people like crack" part. I don't care if you are black . Blue. Purple. Or orange.

Crack can be made a couple different ways. The baking soda you are thinking of is only added to cocaines powder form to aid in cooking out the impurities, thus leaving a more pure form of cocaine that can be smoked for a much more consentrated euphoric rush that is very shorth lived.

There is another way crack is made using other chemicals such as amonia, making it less pure but just as addicting.

Crack does have a stigma behind it as the devils drug etc. The poweder form can me just as deadly, just as addictive. I can say this from experience as I was an everyday, now only an occasional crack and/or and IV cocaine user.

All forms of cocaine are extremely addictive and dangerous.

If I had time and was at my PC not my mobile I would go into better detail but I can't. I am sure many of my DF friends will chime in and help.

In the future, try using the forum search engine as many threads about crack cocaine might already have covered this topic.

Anyway, welcome to DF

Stay Safe
    JJ

3. Julya

Julya Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Crack is the rock form of cocaine. You can often hear people refering to it as "crack cocaine" in the news and such. So you were right, they are the same thing. Crack is obtained by cooking powder cocaine with either baking soda or amonia, like Miss 160 said. Although around here powder cocaine cooked with baking soda is refered as freebase, and is considered a different thing from crack, so it may be like that on your piece of earth too.

I think the reason why crack is seen as evil is mostly historical. When cocaine became a real society thing in the 70 ( think studio 54 ) it was a very glamourous party drug to be on, and also very expensive. It really was the rich people drug. But then crack cocaine was introduced. It was as if not more potent than the powder form, but most of all it was cheap. Poor people could finally have a taste of that glamourous thing. Needless to say it hit deprived area really hard. Selling it was seen as a miracle way to make money and help your family, so it became very available, turning it into a plague.

Now, a chemical for a chemical, I don't think crack cocaine is that more addictive than its powder sister. But it is cheaper, and more importantly its not as well accepted in a social environment while the powder is still considered a party drug. And it's easier to keep a party drug for, well party. And still, people will get addicted to it anyway. I know people that are fighting a snorting addiction right now.

Snorting powder vs/ smoking or iv'ing a substance changes the high. The effect is instant, therefore it hits harder but it also has a way shorter time duration, making you want to re-dose a lot more often. The more you re-dose, the more you WANT to re-dose. " One is too much, a million isn't enough".
    It's cliché but oh so very true haha.

Yay :) !!

4. westie420uk

westie420uk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    As the other posters have said, crack is the freebase form of cocaine. The reason for doing this is so it can be smoked. It has a stronger effect than powdered cocaine, but it has a very, very short buzz.
    I think the reason why people think its a getto drug is because rocks are cheap. Where a gram of cocaine can be very expensive, rocks of crack are fairly cheap to buy.

5. Maca1

Maca1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Crack maybe cheap to buy in comparison but it's not actually cheaper than cocaine. The amount of crack produced should be less in weight than the powder it was created from. It's sold in smaller quantities, whereas most dealers usually don't sell powder less than a half a gram. Dealers have tricks to convert coke to crack and produce a bigger yield but that's another story.

6. Booty love

Booty love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Crack rock is not cheaper than powder cocaine. Its cheaper to make than actual base cocaine but not as pure, using heat and baking soda cuts down the purity, while pure crystalized base cocaine has no baking soda in it. You can smoke powder cocaine, its just not as efficient as base cocaine and is easier to waste. Rock cocaine is much more popular because an idiot can make it and its very easy to handle, making it easier to transport and hide. Using baking soda and heat is a poor mans ways of making base cocaine. Its easier and quicker to make,and easy to cut, just add more baking soda.
    The term crack comes from the crackling sound it makes when the flame is first put to it. Crack solved the issue of exploding pipes, caused from impatient base smokers, not letting the ether and ammonia completely evaporate before putting the flame to it. Rock cocaine isnt flammable at any stage of the making process. Its as easy as srambling an egg. Which is one of the reasons its so powerful.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  7. source

source Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    The different types of cocaine are not the same, or there wouldn't even 'be' different types of cocaine. No one thought of mentioning about cocaine hydrochloride being the salt form of cocaine - against what you end up with after washing or cooking?

Powder cocaine (cocaine hydrochloride or hcl) is as it says, although on the street cocaine hcl has been added with shedloads of adulterants so you can never ever be sure whether you are getting any cocaine in it at all.
    Crack cocaine is a rock formed by cooking or washing 'powder' cocaine (or cocaine hydrochloride) with baking soda into a rock that can be smoked - as cocaine hydrochloride on its own cannot because it evaporates at a much higher temp (therefore ruining the cocaine anyway). This is freebase crack cocaine, because by cooking or washing the cocaine hydrochloride you have removed the hydrochloride salt and made it smokable and at the same time more pure if you just bought the cocaine off the street.
    Street 'crack' however is not as pure as washing or cooking cocaine yourself anyway as with any other drug crack is not susceptible to having adulterants added to it as well to make more bucks.

The long and short of it is, crack (in its freebase form or not) is far more addictive due to its very quick and very short lived immense high, and cannot be compared to powder cocaine in whatever form it comes in.

Price discussions are useless, because all street forms of cocaine have normally been tampered with at one stage or another. If you were to cook some powder cocaine from one dealer against another you would probably be surprised with the different sized rocks that you ended up with. Same with the effects that we all get from snorting a regular bag of cocaine. Who knows.

Oh and the comment about black people only smoking crack because it's evil and dirty..... what planet are you on OP??? My dealer is a black guy, only because he comes from London to sell, not because he sells crack and likes it himself too. My guy sells me heroin too... what theory do you have for that??

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. Booty love

Booty love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think one of the biggest misconceptions about crack is the price. Everyone thinks its cheaper than powder cocaine. This tells me that you have never been a regular buyer of the stuff. Where i come from, scales for crack are not generally used but dealers with consistent quality shit do use them. And guess what, crack is the same price in weight as powder cocaine. Even using the eye test, its roughly the same. After some experience you can easily tell what a certain price rock is supposed to look like. The density doesn't matter. The only thing that is cheap about crack is for the person making it. Because HE is the one who is gonna reap the rewards. Crack cocaine is an easy way to highly cut your coke, and still have a quality product that keeps em coming back. You can buy an ounce of good powder cocaine and turn it into 3 ounces of decent crack. The problem with crack is there is such a high supply and demand for it and if one person starts selling pure crack, then word of mouth will spread like wild fire and within 3 days that person will have taken every other dealers customers. Needless to say, you wouldn't be selling pure shit for long.

Another thing that people sometimes get confused on, is crack the same drug as powder cocaine. YES PEOPLE! Its all cocaine, just because its in a different form doesn't make it a different drug. You will still piss dirty for cocaine, whether you snort powder, smoke base or just swallow it all down your throat. Its cocaine, plain and simple. There is nothing evil or different about crack rock other than the fact that smoking is an all around more addictive ROA, to an already highly addictive substance. But honestly, if you have mad will power skillz, then making and smoking your own base cocaine, is the best way to enjoy its effects. Its an easiest way to purify and get the highest bioavAilabilty out of your cocaine. Period!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. beentheredonethatagain

beentheredonethatagain Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    crack is not water soluble and is a free base form of cocaine

cocaine hcl that is not made into crack is very soluble in water , or another polar solvent..

10. source

source Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm retarded?? I posted that in reply to your racist comment about black people being 'evil and dirty'.
    Do you not see anything wrong with that comment?

Anyway, so that this thread is not turned completely off-topic by retarded comments, you may contact me via DM if you want to discuss this further.

11. Booty love

Booty love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Whoa! Slow your roll there cerealbox. That my friend your calling a moron, not to mention a well loved member of this forum. I think you meant to say, that because crack is the drug of choice in poor african american communities( which is true), that others, not from such a community view the drug as dirty poor and cheap.
    News flash of the day! Crack is in every community where coke is present. In middle to upper class communities crack is a users only membership. If you dont use, then you dont know. Whereas in innercity poor communities crack is accepted and not taboo at all.

12. Julya

Julya Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    From crack facts website ;

Myth #4; Crack is much more addictive than powder cocaine.

Fact; There is very little evidence to support the claims that crack is more addictive than cocaine. According to the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse in 2004 of Americans age 12 and older, 5.9% of individuals who had ever tried cocaine went on to be 'current users' (reported use within the past 30 days). The same statistic for crack use was also 5.9%. These numbers show no statistical difference in the tendency towards the future use of cocaine and crack.

Source;
    Reinerman, C. and Levine H. Crack in America. University of California Press (September 1997).
    2004 National Survey on Drug Use and Health : National Findings.

Don't want to start a fight, but i was not 'seriously' wrong. I do understand your opinion tho.
    Peace!

13. Booty love

Booty love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Whos opinion are you referring to??

14. Booty love

Booty love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    May i ask how long you were a cocaine and crack user?
    The "myth" that crack is more addictive than powder, isnt a myth at all. Its not only truth but fact. And it has absolutly nothing to do with the drug itself. Smoking cocaine(base) has a bioavailability of 99%. The only reason its not 100%, is because you exhale smoke. Snorting cocaine has a bio of around 70-75%. And not only that but drugs that are designed purely for smoking, like base, hits you with that 99% bio in about 1-2 seconds. Iv coke takes anywhere for 10-30 seconds to hit. The smoke high is so powerful and short, you want more and more.
    Now I understand that any ROA for cocaine produces the same Cravings but you will go through alot more crack in a shorter period of time, than the other ways of doing it. 1 gram of good powder might last 2 hours. 1 gram of crack, the same purity as coke, might last 30-40 minutes maybe. You get the picture.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  15. jimmyjames35

jimmyjames35 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    as someone who spent a period smoking crack and a lifetime of snorting i can tell you that for me personally there is a huge difference in the draw crack has on you as aposed to cocaine. there is something about hitting those quick euphoric peaks that messes with your head. i would crave it when i was away from it in a way i never have for cocaine. it may be the same chemical but those rushes are triggering and setting off switches for sure in your brain that snorting cocaine doesn't. i'm explaining this very poorly but you get the point.- hopefully. cerealbox had some ridiculous comment in another thread about plugging making you gay so i wouldn't try to hard rationalizing with him

16. Willyzh

Willyzh Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Here's one for the race issue: In Florida I had a brief stint with crack. BOught it, it was cooked, whatever, by a friend. My boss found out and he was like "I never smoked CRACK but i smoked freebase before." basically the same thing, one made with ammonia, one with baking soda (and sometimes alcohol). I was like "hmm thats weird." Another guy on the crew says the same thing later: I never smoked CRACK but i smoked freebase before... Good for you, so did Richard Fucking Pryor. What are you gonna say to separate you from him? At least you're not black, ya dumb assholes?

That's not really off topic because you referred to crack and race. Thank you.

17. Julya

Julya Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I can share ...

I started to inject powder cocaine massively when I was 17 years old, so 11 years ago. After less than a year I had to fuel a 2000+ dollars addiction a week. Was ok, there is always customers for a baby face 17 years old... many old men love young girls, and thats no myth ...
    I was spending my time between 2 drughouses, with many other lost souls. For each crackhead there was at least 2 baseheads like me. Mostly girls of course,its harder for boys to get those amount of money.

Vast majority of the people I knew from that time are dead. Some are in jail, some just went missing. Before I was 20 I had O.D 4 times, and was arrested and send to rehab twice. I was one of the lucky one that got through it tho. You see, at some point I became so sick from HIV that I just couldn't get enough money to keep going so I slowed down.
    Been battling with my cravings for the last 6 years with mitigated success. It never got easier, I just don't think about it 24/7 with years.

I'm not the one that will go around and tell people that powder cocaine aint that bad, or not that addictive. You understand that from my experience I cannot believe in that. More, I believe its dangerous to send that message.

That beeing said my poiny was :

‹Now, a chemical for a chemical, I don't think crack cocaine is that more addictive than its powder sister... Snorting powder vs/ smoking or iv'ing a substance changes the high. The effect is instant, therefore it hits harder but it also has a way shorter time duration, making you want to re-dose a lot more often›

and you said:

‹Now I understand that any ROA for cocaine produces the same Cravings but you will go through alot more crack in a shorter period of time›

So I think we agree in a way, we probably just had different experience.

Stay safe !

18. Booty love

Booty love Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Julya, you are correct but you cant compare crack with powder cocaine, chemical to chemical. They are the same chemical, cocaine!! Thats like comparing apples to applesauce.

19. Willyzh

Willyzh Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ^I'd say instantly that she meant "chemically" although I can't put words in anyone's mouth.

"No one can put words in anyone's mouth because words are ideas not things...."

Semantics are kind of a waste of time when you can easily infer the real meaning.

Cocaine is a chemical compound and crack is the same chemical freed of its hydrochloride base. So technically they are slightly different in chemical makeup. Saying "chemical for chemical" makes enough sense to me. "Comparing chemical composition and resulting action" would be completely accurate.

20. source

source Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Julya was commenting more on the cravings that one would get from cocaine as opposed to crack. You're both kind of saying the same thing where that is concerned, as the cravings 'are' the same just that the crack craving comes on quickly and more intense, whereas the cocaine craving is a little more subtle and drawn out.
    They are both as bad as eachother though.

Julya: wow, what a post, couldn't have been easy to write that so thank you for sharing. Just shows how bad a cocaine or crack addiction can get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.