Dose - What's the lowest dose of kratom that can give you a nice buzz?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by MachoManSavage, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MachoManSavage

MachoManSavage Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Ideally, it's always best to take as little as possible to prevent things like addiction. So what is the lowest you can take and feel awesome? Let's not include extracts, just the regular leaf.

I'm at 2.5 grams of maeng da. Sure, it doesn't last as long as my usual 5 grams, but I pretty much get the same effects.

You guys?

2. PillMan

PillMan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Arkansas, U.S.A.
    Around 5 grams of Red Vein Borneo and I'm ok to go. Tonight I boiled 10 grams and drank half of it...then I sip on it every so often to maintain a buzz through the night.

3. FenixDelta753

FenixDelta753 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My experience is unique to most people I think. I was at a dose of 16g in tea regularly and that was getting a little much to keep up so I began using a toss and wash method with about 10g and getting stronger effects than 16g and then I would occasionally go down to 5-7g and would get even stronger effects and euphoria. I've no idea why this is the case but that's what seems to happen to me!

Most people seem to stick around 5-10g

4. no eff eks

no eff eks Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Lately I've only used what is branded as "Maeng Da kratom" so that's what I'm basing this dose recommendation on... Quality varies a lot even within this one specific brand label, so keep that in mind. Doses with kratom are always approximate because you never really know what the alkaloid content is for crushed/powdered leaf material.

Anyway... Around 5g is my threshold for being aware that I'm under the influence of an opioid and enjoying it. I think 7.5g is about right to get a nice energetic light buzz with minimal side-effects, very enjoyable experience, and minimal risk for addiction... assuming this is something you do a couple times per month or less.

5. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is pretty impossible to answer because the quality varies between distributors as well as plant to plant and does partially depend on your opioid usage currently or in the past. If you've recently done strong opioids then its going to take more.

Another factor is are you chasing an 'opioid' high or stimulant high?

My starting dose that was great was about 4 grams with no opioid tolerance, I am at 6 to 8 grams now and I have not allowed myself to go any higher and guess what? I am an addict. Don't think because you're taking a low dose you won't get addicted. Addiction to substances in general depends more on frequency of use rather than dosing... Though to be fair lower doses are probably easier to withdrawal from.

6. notes32

notes32 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    as others have noted, this substance treats everyone much differently. my friend has tried different strains and suppliers, he's not "stoned" until he consumes a 30 gram pile of kratom. DON'T TRY THIS right off the bat cause this is NOT A TYPICAL DOSE and would make many users vomit and feel horrible. he finds he goes from unaffected, to floored, with nothing less than 30 grams. my friend and HIS friend tried it together and they both needed 30 grams.

my friend sees a lot of people giving up on kratom (more for my friend!) because they are not affected by the typical dose. who would think someone would need 30 grams when so many people talk about buzzing on 5-8? good thing my friend tried different doses!

7. AUblake85

AUblake85 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from U.S.A.
    swim typically uses white Borneo/red Thai capsules and tries to keep doses between 4-5 grams or 8-10 caps for a mild stimulant buzz that last a few hours. this dose is usually in morning on empty stomach.

8. AnnaMarie

AnnaMarie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    For painkiller/opioid effects, 8-10g. 2-3x a week with Bali powder, every 5th time or so switching out with Maeng Da powder in caps. I take a week or three off several times a year with no side effects other than occasionally a headache. When my intake was much higher (15g-20g 5x or more a week), when I went cold turkey I had a couple of days that felt like the beginning of the flu, but that was about it.

I do wonder about why the addiction factor hits some people harder than others...

9. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I can get enjoyable effects from 1-2g of Green Malay or Maeng Da, if they are of high quality. If I'm using kratom mainly as an energy boost for a long day I'll take 1.5g or so of Green Malay. If I really want a euphoric buzz I'll take 3-4 but I try to keep my doses as low as possible.

On Xmas 1.5g in the morning and the same late afternoon kept me feeling great all day. The lethargy that comes from snacking and drinking all day didn't come. Also because kratom supresses my appetite I didn't overeat as much as I would have.

If you have good leaf and are managing your tolerance well you should never need more than 5g, at least I don't. As little as 1g can be a nice dose. You won't get strong euphoria or analgesia but you'll feel great. 3g should get you the euphoria/painkiller effects.

10. MachoManSavage

MachoManSavage Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Glad to see someone else who can get pleasant effects from low doses. I talk to some people from the local seed store (read: not a headshop) where I purchase my kratom and they all do 40-50+ grams a day, which I can never wrap my head around. 2 years of almost daily use, and anything over 5 grams makes me dizzy, nausea's, my eyes hurt, etc. I'm currently on 1.5 g's maeng da, and feeling wonderful.

EDIT: Oh, just wanted to throw in my least favorite side effect from kratom overdose. I get so dizzy that my vision is completely impaired by "fuzzy stars". Sorry for the horrible explanation, but I literary only see stars for like a minute.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  11. rawbeer

rawbeer Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah some of the doses I see make my head spin! I know in some cases it's just that people have worked up such a huge tolerance they need 14g or more to feel anything, but I also think some people just start really high and don't realize they could get away using a lot less. When I started with kratom I didn't feel much the first few times until I took 7g and drank 1 beer, then BOOM! But after I had "found" the effects I also found that smaller amounts were more enjoyable. I cut the dose in half and 3.5g has pretty much been my top dose since then. I'll sometimes go up to 5g if I'm sick or have a pulled muscle or something where I'm using kratom more medicinally than just for R and R.

I have noticed this with cannabis too, that some people wind up with these ridiculous tolerances that are ultimately a waste of money. You can get high all day every day off of pretty small amounts, but if you smoke a blunt every time you smoke soon enough you'll be burning several grams a day and wasting your money on it.

I maintain a low tolerance to cannabis, which I use almost daily, and kratom which I use 2-3 times a week, and still enjoy it every time.

12. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree about some people doing crazy high doses of kratom. My Kentucky hound Geech finds that 3 - 4 grams of Bali provide a nice buzz without negative side effects. He once tried 6 grams on an empty stomach and got very dizzy and slightly nauseous. Not a very pleasant experience.

13. Popwop

Popwop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    My usual dose is around the 7-7.5g mark, some days up to 8 or 9, but some mornings i'll just have a low dose (2-3g) and that can feel very pleasant indeed. Any lower and I don't get any noticeable effects.

14. Springtime

Springtime Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have just been eulogising about the "less is more" wonders of kratom on another thread, so I won't repeat myself - but it's worth reinforcing the point that trying a lower dose than you think you need might just bring a pleasant surprise.

15. Popwop

Popwop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    The more experience I gain with kratom the more I'm starting to wake up to the " less is more " idea. I think its the old fiend in me getting greedy haha.

16. Springtime

Springtime Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Absolutely; it's something I can relate to very strongly as well :laugh:

With most drugs, the risk of getting carried away with dosage is overdose. With kratom, all the best evidence is that overdose is extremely unlikely to bring anything worse than a thoroughly unpleasant evening of nausea - and the risk of missing out on some of the subtle delights of mitragyna speciosa that only present themselves at lower doses.

17. Topaz Bliss

Topaz Bliss Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ok..2-4g in a tea gives absolutlely no buzz, but the pain goes away....plain ol finely ground Bali. Now bump that up to 5, mix it with coffee or Yerbe Mate....and one can get a nice slight buzz...and pain goes away....Toss and wash 5 g of Bali, chased with orange juice or even cold coffee....no buzz, but really talkative and no noticeable pain. Very strange. No noticeable visual fuzziness...one prefers the long, drawn out tea method. :)

18. Popwop

Popwop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I opted for a reduced morning dose of 4.5g of red vein Borneo. The effects are much better than I expected, it feels as though its brought some of the old kratom magic back. Nowhere near as much sedation as I'd usually get from my usual morning Borneo dose.

19. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just wanted to add, a low dose of kratom with a small amount of alcohol can be really nice. Just make sure you take the kratom first (small dose) and then sip your favorite drink slowly afterwards. Don't drink too much or it will overpower the kratom. Geech likes to take 3 grams of Bali followed by 2 or 3 glasses of wine - makes for a very pleasant evening.

20. electricjw

electricjw Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    YEah some of these doses are just crazy!!! There is no way my neighbor could eat that much. My neighbor has been on opiates for prob 3-4 yrs with 2 of those yrs being on roxys. However my neighbor never did more than a 1/4 of a 30mg roxy at a time, usually a roxy would last a day or two. My neighbor has got back on kratom to help kick that nasty habit, but has never taken more than 5gs, and yesterday he took 2grams and was doing good.

My neighbor thinks that some of these vendors are selling weaker kratom, which is why he thinks some ppl are using such high doses, but maybe not.

Tags: