1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

What's with auto grade NOS?

Discussion in 'Nitrous Oxide' started by Arsenic, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arsenic

Arsenic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have a NOS tank that has 100 ppm sulfur dioxide in it. It's the auto grade stuff, but nobody has provided me a clear explanation as to why it's so bad to inhale. It's not the stuff that has hydrogen sulfide, so it's not a deadly neurotoxin.

If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

2. T Ferg

T Ferg Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sulfur Dioxide is both toxic and corrosive. You really doesn't want to inhale it. I'm not sure if that answers the question or not...

T Ferg added 2 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I cannot edit my post so I will leave this information here which was found on wikipedia

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Arsenic

Arsenic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find it strange that the wiki quote says it's bad to inhale, but then says that it's safe for human consumption...

I have sat around his tank with a few friends for a couple hours with no issues from anyone, which is why he's so confused about people advising against it.

One of SWIM's friends fainted once and gave himself a concussion, but that was the worst. He shouldn't have been standing.

4. pittkiva

pittkiva Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Consumption does not equal inhalation. Sulfur dioxide forms sulfuric acid when mixed with water, a small amount of sulfur in the stomach thats already full of hydrochloric acid isnt going to harm much. Sulfuric acid in the lungs will cause chemical pneumonia.

As for yous experience so far, it could be due to a smaller than normal amount of sulfur being mixed into that tank. Thats not to say the bad effects wont occur after longer use.

5. RaverHippie

RaverHippie Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from New York, U.S.A.
    pittkiva nailed it, eating sulfur dioxide is harmless. breathing it gives it different environments to react, like the capillaries found in lung alveoli, which themselves are very delicate and are easily irritated.

6. Shardz

Shardz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    tastes horrible too, very very horrible, you can filter it, but the taste is still there, you can try to mask it with flavoring too.

7. Arsenic

Arsenic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The taste has never been an issue to anyone before. Some have said it tastes good.

I would be curious to know what the sulfur dioxide does when it enters the lungs specifically, as I would like to pass my own judgement upon the health risks after knowing more about it.

8. pittkiva

pittkiva Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Inhaling sulfur dioxide is associated with increased respiratory symptoms and disease, difficulty in breathing, and premature death.[15] In 2008, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists reduced the Short-term exposure limit from 5ppm to 0.25ppm. The OSHA PEL is currently set at 5ppm (13 mg/m3) time weighted average. NIOSH has set the IDLH at 100ppm.[16]

9. lindsey8290

lindsey8290 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    because the sulfur is horrible for your lungs/body! there is a method using faygo pop to get the sulfur out of the tank. my pet flamingo has noticed a sweet taste in the nitrous at different after hrs bars and was told some explanation about using faygo to get the sulfur out. but whatever you do don't just inhale it the way it is lol and never do it straight from the tank as that will seriously F your lungs (my pet flamingo once saw a very intoxicated man do this at one of the after hrs bars when the person who was running the tank wasn't looking, and doesn't want to know what happened to the poor guy :s )

10. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm not sure what sort of person would think that Faygo pop would filter sulphurdioxide from a gas, probably a really dumb person. I would suggest avoiding such an idiot at all costs.

I have heard that a gas mask filter could work, they DO filter SO2, and the theory was that NO2 has similar enough binding properties to O2 that it could slip through. It is at least worth a try as the filter was designed for... filtering, unlike pop.

11. night tripper

night tripper Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from U.S.A.
    What I do is bubble auto grade NOS through a culligan jug filled with water and baking soda (to lower the ph levels) and I can't taste any sulfur at all.

When I inhale straight auto grade NOS I get heartburn and sometimes I have trouble breathing and my lungs always hurt the next day, but when I bubble it, its just like food grade NOS...

I dunno, I have people convinced that it is food grade when I go to festivals and stuff...

12. TheFakeBass

TheFakeBass Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First off, self-incrimination.
    Second, are you saying that you pass off automobile grade nitrous oxide as food grade nitrous oxide to unsuspecting people? That is unethical and DEPLORABLE. This is a harm reduction website.

Even if you mean that you don't TELL people what grade it is and you let them ASSUME it's food grade, that's hardly any better.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  13. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Lol. Yes, idiots can be very hazardous!

I have used gas-mask filters before with success. I would encourage anyone doing this to replace the filter often! I would recommend not filtering over 10 lbs of N2O + SO2 with one gas mask filter. Also old gas mask filters do vary in quality. I am going to attempt using a bubbling method soon simply because H2O and a strong base is cheaper then going threw a bunch of gas mask filters (the price adds up over time).

SWIM asks that anyone attempting to filter auto grade nitrous be very careful and mindful of what they are doing. If there is even a doubt in ones mind that their end product may not be completely clean DON'T DO IT! It's not worth the risk to your health, instead go back to the drawing board.

14. Arsenic

Arsenic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM began to filter the sulfur dioxide by running the gas through a tank filled with just plain tap water (well water to be specific) and then re-pressurized into another tank for easy transport. SWIM can't taste even a bit of sulfur and it irritates the lungs even less than before (it didn't irritate much straight from the tank though). I think it filters it out quite well, I wonder how often I should change the water, once he starts tasting sulfur again would be a clear indication, one would think.

15. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Until someone can post any Scientific Evidence that Auto-Grade Nitrous can actually be filtered with water or soda, it should be assumed that the terrible advice in this thread is dangerous and not to be attempted. Just because you can't taste sulfur does not mean it is safe to inhale the gas. Further, attempting to pass off such a product as "medical grade" is beyond irresponsible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.