1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Effects - When someone is taking Kava for the first time...

Discussion in 'Kava-Kava' started by SomeDays, Oct 8, 2009.

1. SomeDays

SomeDays Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Why does it take a couple of times before the effects are felt, what need to happen in the body?

Also, how long after consuming Kava will SWIM have to wait before he should feel anything?

:)

2. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Some people say you need to try Kava a couple of times to get a good hit, possibly vendors ensuring a couple of repeat sales ;)

Perhaps the Kavalactones build up in ones system with repeated use?

People sometimes say the same of weed and salvia, but I felt good effects from all three on his first try. Perhaps one just becomes used to the more subtle effects after a few try's, things that could be written off as placebo the first time around.

As for time to feel effects, I feel an instant relaxation with the first gulp, with the rest of the effects coming on throughout drinking and up to about 1/2 hour afterward.

You can always drink some more to increase or recharge the effects. Also, to obtain best effects gulp (don,t sip) high quality kava on an empty stomach.

3. SomeDays

SomeDays Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks for your reply! :)

I guess swim just has to keep drinking it until he really feel the effects.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2009
  4. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    nope... someone else should do that, not you. You can report your post to the mods and ask them to clean up you're minor blunder of self incrimination.

There doesn't seem to be a dangerous amount of kava-kava, an old associate of mine once spent an entire night drinking large bowls of the stuff in Polynesia with a bunch of old ladies, quarts and liters of the stuff went down. Did mention a bit of a hangover and the peeing was obnoxious. If the kava is being prepared with milk, that is going to cause more troubles then the kava (depending on the patient's digestive track and lactose tolerance) If one of them new fangled concentrated extracts is being used... be careful, those might make it possible to get too much into the system.

5. SomeDays

SomeDays Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks for your reply Potter. :)

I tried the double dose of Kava today but he forgot to add a double amount of water so the Kava got really strong and SWIM finally felt the effect of Kava and he likes it. He's going to order from another vendor next time, he doesn't think the cheap Kava he picked up this time was that good.

6. Potter

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The best Kava-kava is supposed to come from the island of Vauntu(sp), where they have strict laws on what's to be labeled as "Vauntu Kava-kava" such as the root needing to be a minimum of 6 years old and other such quality controls.

7. Wangjinxi

Wangjinxi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Does anyone know anyone who has been to Vanuatu? I am travelling there this week to try Kava-Kava for the first time and they needed some advice on how much to take, effects of different amounts and how long it takes to wear off. If anyone has any helpful info, this person would appreciate it seeing as i couldn't assist with his enquiry.

8. Potter

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would suspect the best person to talk to would be the guy serving the stuff on the island.

9. zornthro

zornthro Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    While I highly respect Vanuatu I think it's a bit over the top to claim that only the best kava comes from there. The most potent kava SWIM ever drank came from papua new guinea. Grown organically just like in vanuatu. I think the difference is the number of "lateral roots" in the beverage. In vanuatu, laws dictate that kava has to be pure lateral roots whereas kava bought elsewhere doesn't necessarily have to follow that standard. Some do, and some don't.

I guess it's probably good advice for a first time user to find a source in vanuatu (given their quality controls) but feel free to shop around ;).

zornthro added 4 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

It depends on the kava you're drinking. I don't know how popular this strain actually is but if they mention "tu day" some of the effects might be present the next morning. Some people refer to it as a hangover, depending on how you interpret it. Tu day is a bit more sedating than other kavas.

Is You learning vanuatuan? It seems like a cool language and might be easy for an english speaker to pick up.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. Wangjinxi

Wangjinxi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Vanuatu is a cool place, as is their Kava. The rubber legged feeling that waves over you as you sift through the dark hoping that your rapidly decreasing strength will carry you to your lodgings.
    my pet found it to be safe, friendly and full of informative and helpful staff/owners. he'd reccomend a holiday to anyone who has been thinking about it. Just don't russian roulette it on the malaria jab like he did.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  11. Johnnynapples

Johnnynapples Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jack the ripper who likes to rip paper asked me to tell you " I took kava kava once in a tea form with stevia extract, It was bitter and my mouth was numb. I soon became sleepy and calm that's all. I know a few other friends who were hyped about it then were let down because it was nothing like the hype said to be. It's great for sleep aid, anti anxiety and others but I wouldn't expect anything "intense". Who knows everyone is different. "

12. clounfish

clounfish Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from U.K.
    could be two days or a week evertones differnt.itbuilds and binds to your benzo/gabba receptors hense taing a while.pesernally is was no match for low dose kratom so i gave the coconut:s

13. alternative_girl

alternative_girl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    why does nobody says the exact dose,how many roots and how much water...I guess I have a garden full of kava-kava...(I just finded that out :) ) and I don't have a clue what to do with that.......:confused:

14. Johnnynapples

Johnnynapples Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ohboy, sway wonders why no one mentions the exact dose of which they had taken? How many roots and how much water to use? that's personal preference.
    If one has a garden full of kava kava just leave it be to grow. Kava is not worth it in sways opinion.

15. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My blends up 100 gram of dried powdered kava in 750ml water nightly. He would suggest starting with 1/4 this amount to test your reaction first. If using fresh root less will be required.

16. themidnighttoker

themidnighttoker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Vanuatu may have quality kava but Kava-kava originated in Fiji. I have actually been to Fiji and consumed Kava-kava with some locals while he was there (from a large wooden basin, no less!).

While Potter may have had some good experiences with Vanuatan Kava, I would recommend Fijian Kava if you can find a source that has it. In SWIM's experience, it was the most potent. Of course, take this recommendation with a grain of salt, as he consumed freshly ground kava while on the island, not an extract ordered over the internet.