Health - Which Benzodiazepine causes greatest amnesia?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Fantasian, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    In SWIF's continuing effort to use combinations of opiates and beznodiazepines to control his pain after the 4th pain consultant advised it the consultant asked him which Benzodiazepine caused the most amnesia to help with pain and remembering bad pain episodes. SWIF has never used Xantax but for him Temazepam was the most amnesic.

Any advice on how to reply to the doc in which causes most amnesia?
    All experiences welcome...

2. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I assume that you're basically asking which benzodiazipine is most likely to cause memory loss or black-outs? Well, in swim's experience (she was a benzo addict once upon the time and used massive amounts of valium, xanax, and ativan...she does use klonopin for sleep every now and then these days) ativan (lorazepam) is the most likely to cause blackouts. She's never had much memory loss or any blackouts at all with other benzos unless she's mixing them with something else. But, just ativan alone (usually around 4mg and up) has caused quite a few blackouts some of which were kind of scary. She's also heard from others who have had memory loss due to ativan and has heard from some knowledgeable folks that ativan is well-known for this property.

3. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Agree with bewilderment here. SWIJ has used diazepam, temazepam, lorazepam and midazolam (iv, but only once) in various doses over the years.

Lorazepam by far the worst/best. She used to take it in 5-7mg dose range (NOT RECOMMENDED and unsure now why she ever did it) and amnesia invariable. Also very thick-headed/hungover next day, which never happened with any other benzos.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  4. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  5. Kristy

Kristy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Wonder if this is something that varies per person, for SWIM the answer is Xanax. SWIM however does have a very low tolerance to it, and it can cause SWIM to wake up after a few days wondering what day it is/what happened etc

I have always found lorazepam to be a milder benzo, but again does not have experience of it much and has not taken it in doses more than 4mg at a time.

6. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Thanks for the advice, SWIF will speak to his GP about Lorazepam.

7. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have found it to be a less pleasurable benzo, but not milder for its purpose. It seems to work well with lessening anxiety or helping with sleep, but I usually doesn't consider it very recreational or fun. I don't know about others, but I say it makes her feel the most numb out of the whole benzo bunch, but that's not much of a good thing unless someone is depressed. It seems to make swim's pleasure center sort of turn off or something whereas she can still manage to have fun on other benzos because they mostly just lower her inhibitions.

I've also heard that ativan is one of the easiest benzos to get prescribed because it's less addictive than others.

8. wearestardust

wearestardust Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Which Benzodiazepine causes greatest amnesia

Jatelka may remember; about 20 years ago, lorazepam was almost taken off the market altogether due to the dreadful withdrawal symptoms which were appearing in elderly patients who had had a course,often relatively short, often only of 1mg tabs rather than 2.5mg, and often featuring terrible bouts of amnesia. SWIWAS also finds that he suffers terrible amnesia after a high dosage; but on the other hand it IS a wonderful drug for use during panic attacks in a dose of about 7.5mg since it is very fast-acting. Since then though, he has preferred bromazepam as his drug of choice to take during an episode. This is as opposed to the alprazolam he takes daily as a preventative. Since starting on alprazolam the amount of full-blown panics SWIWAS suffers has dropped dramatically, compared to when he was on diazepam. Also, alprazolam makes him feel much 'better' than diazepam, which has the effect of constant drowsiness, and not a really pleasant drowsiness either.
    Turning to hypnotic benzos, he finds that flunitrazepam, although one of his favourite sleepers, can often cause anterograde amnesia, something midazolam 15mg does not. When using triazolam, he wakens early and as bright as a button, feeling genuinely rested with no amnesiac effect at all. Temazepam can give him a hangover-like effect.

9. DontKnow

DontKnow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I don't know, but a guy once told me that he was prescribed alprazolam and diazepam for bipolar symptoms for several years and had amnesia of much of that time. He was in college then, so to him it was like losing it all. Anyway, a study in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1357612 sums it up well

Anterograde amnesia linked to benzodiazepines.
    Mejo SL.

Abstract
    Benzodiazepines, shown to affect memory, can produce anterograde amnesia (i.e., a loss of memory for events occurring forward in time). Following the ingestion of a benzodiazepine, short-term memory is not affected, but long-term memory is impaired. The memory loss may occur because events are not transferred from short-term memory to long-term memory and thus not consolidated into memory storage. Information stored prior to the ingestion of a benzodiazepine is not affected. Memory impairment is more likely in benzodiazepines that have a high benzodiazepine-receptor affinity, that accumulate in the body, that are given in high doses or intravenously, or that are eliminated slowly. Individuals taking benzodiazepines are often unaware of their memory impairment unless it is pointed out to them. Elderly clients experiencing memory impairment may be embarrassed to mention the problem. Alternatives to prescribing benzodiazepines include antidepressant medications, exercise or psychotherapy. When prescribing a benzodiazepine, it is important to fully inform patients of the drug's potential side effects and to maintain the lowest effective dose for the shortest period of time.

10. Stellexen

Stellexen Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.

i would say either rohypnol or xanax. to GABA naive people, any benzo has the capability of causing major amnesia if taken in larger than normal doses. hope that helps.

11. LasseViren

LasseViren Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

For me its midazolam. It's like no other benzo to me. Even normal theraputic doses of midazolam destroy my memory to the point where I can't remember large spans of time. I can take larger doses than theraputic of xanax, atvian, and klonopin and be fine.

12. Shaun108

Shaun108 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  13. home4321

home4321 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from U.K.

Long time user of diazapam, and it really lead to short term memory loss, however, klonopin can wipe a whole weekend away, not with alcohol, just parts of memories. Didn't do anything weird but my memories were just not there

14. Joe73

Joe73 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Lunesta (eszopiclone) caused the worse memory problems for me out of all the benzo and benzo-like drugs. Have never tried Ativan. I always stay within prescribed limits and do not potentiate.