1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Pharmacology - (White) grapefruit juice and clonazepam?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by hollow ropes, Jan 25, 2011.

1. hollow ropes

hollow ropes

Reputation Points:
    I've read alot about the interaction between grapefruit juice and the cytochrome P450 CYP3A4 and CYP1A2 enzymes and how they can 'mess with' the breakdown of certain drugs, usually causing them to hit harder and/or last longer.

I've also read a lot about how this doesn't necessarily apply to all benzodiazepines (mainly just alprozolam and diazepam), but some people still swear that it has an effect on clonazepam.

My Monkey has this to ask:

"So, I bought 64 oz. of white grapefruit juice, and I had a good supply of 1mg klonopins. If I were to test this out for myself, how much grapefruit juice should I drink, how long should I wit before dosing the klonopin, and should 1mg of kl.onopin be enough to tell whether this 'experiment' worked? I don't have a high benzodiazepine tolerance by the way."

Any help for the aforementioned Monkey is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  2. 2dboy

2dboy

Reputation Points:
    let me know how it works - swim has 2mg klons and wants to know how many to take and if there is a way to maximize the effect.
    also SWIM wants to know how they compare to valium
    what is the equivalent of 10mg valium compared to klonopins? is a 2mg klon the same as a 10mg val?
    thanks

3. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    OP, report your post to be edited to remove s/i or delted so that you can start a new one withot s/i.

To the subject at hand, I don't think it will have any effect. I've been prescribed benzos of and on for over 5 years and have many times come across the information paper that comes with the prescription that says aviod grapefruits or grapefruit juice because it can increase the side effects or w/e. I've taken clonazepam with gf juice and grapefruits dozens of times and noticed no difference in effects.

2dboy, 1 mg clonazepam is a good starting dose. You don't need anything to "maximize" the effects because the effects will be strong enough on its own. I personally don't think there's anything apart from other CNS depressants that intensifies the effects of benzos and once you start mixing downers, your chance of dying gets much higher. Benzos alone are pretty much impossible to have a fatal overdose from but if they're mixed with things like opiates or alcohol, it is very possible to die.

I'd say the diazepam to clonazepam ratio would be 10:1. So 10 mg valium would be equal to 1 mg clonazepam.

4. TheTwighlight

TheTwighlight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No, 0.5mg clonazepam = 10mg diazepam.

TheTwighlight added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

^ That comes from pretty much all the benzo equivalence charts, but I can also say from personal experience that 1mg clonazepam = ~20mg diazepam.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012