1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Effects - Why Boil Kratom Leaves?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by 3dfunk, Aug 6, 2011.

1. 3dfunk

3dfunk Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What is the point of boiling or making tea from kratom leaves? I've heard that it "activates" the product but on the other hand, I've heard that it isn't necessary. Can you simply do a t&w on leaves and get the desired effect?

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    As mentioned in the threads dedicated to methods of injestion you can take kratom several ways.
    You do not need to do anything to 'activate' kratom, it can be eaten in leaf or powdered leaf form, you can chew the fresh leaves, you can make a quid with them or dried leaves. You can toss and wash them which involves putting the crushed leaves or powdered leaves in your mouth and take a mouthfull of liquid to help them down, your body will then extract the alkaloids from them.

You can mix the dried leaves in liquid and drink it all, liquid and plant material.

If you do not want to injest the plant material you can make a water extract (kratom tea) by boiling the leaves in water for 15-20 minutes, then strain out the plant material and drink the liquid. Many people can not or do not enjoy eating the leaves/powdered leaves so this method suits them.

You can make an extract by evaporating the water from the tea and eat the resulting resin, you can powder the resin and eat that. The point of boiling it is that it will extract more alkaloids that simply steeping the leaves/powder in a cup of boiling water like you would with regular tea if you do not want to injest the plant material.

You can also plug the tea or powder (take it analy)

Smoking it is something a few people claim works although ive never had any success this way.

Kratom does not need to be activated, it will work just as well, and for some people better to just consume the material in a fresh or dried form. This was discussed earlier in the other thread.

Its all down to what works best for you and what method you are most comfortable with.

Favourite method of consumption poll https://drugs-forum.com/threads/155313

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. 3dfunk

3dfunk Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First time I ever bought kratom was at a local headshop. 30g of Maeng Da crushed leaf. He said that the hot water would activate the ingredients. I have learned the general rule of thumb when it comes to headshops and smokeshops...but the idea that it needed "activated" seemed legit especially considering the number of people that make tea. I mean, let's be honest, the stuff isn't exactly tasty. I can't imagine that people actually enjoy sipping on a nice cup of kratom tea.

So why then do some of you make hot tea or enjoy it with another hot drink such as coffee?

4. TSBl0l

TSBl0l

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    The hot tea method is a way of ingesting the active ingredients (alkaloids) without having to ingest the plant material. Sure, it may taste like shit, but to most its better than having to stomach all of that plant material.

Others whose stomach can handle the plant material may simply mix the powder in with another drink and gulp it down.

Really, its just you either ingest the plant whole and let your body extract the alkaloids or you can boil for 15 minutes to extract the alkaloids into the water allowing you to just drink the tea. This is is also why the effects are onset quicker with tea, since the alkaloids are already extracted and ready to be absorbed.