Opinions - why did you start smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by blinkKDX, Jan 5, 2007.

1. blinkKDX

blinkKDX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    Just want to get people's opinion on why they started smoking.

2. Schwag

Schwag Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I started smoking simply because he enjoys smoking and because he finds it nice after smoking weed. Alot of people don't understand why swim smokes just because he likes smoking. Swim can't explain it, it's just something he enjoys. For example: some people enjoy rock climbing as one of their pass-times, swim enjoys smoking as one of his. Swim realises it is bad for your health but his logic is; that you only have one life to live, so you may as well enjoy it. Even if enjoying it means cutting a few years off your life :smoking: .

3. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Social pressure, cultural environment, etc.

Swim grew up in the Middle-East where cigs are extremely cheap (people used to fill a whole suitcase with cartons, fly to the UK, sell them all, and then fly back with a profit!) and people start young. He was one of the last of his friends who would end up smoking to start.

Then Switzerland didn't help much as everyone at swim's school smoked.

I have been smoking spliffs (hash plus tobacco) his entire smoking lifetime too, so it wasn't a big jump. Increased alcohol consumption contributed to this immensely as well.

4. Schwag

Schwag Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I remember his Lebanese friend telling him that, in Lebanon you can buy cartons of 100+ loose cigarettes for approximately 50 cents! I found this amazing. He wishes they where as cheap here as they are in the Middle East.

5. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Be careful what you wish for. I know so many people who started smoking there who probably wouldn't if the culture didn't support it so much.

I have a friend with chronic bronchitis who had to have operations for cancer by 12th grade.

Not caring about age limits and cigs being practically free make you think less about smoking and its consequences sadly.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Why? Pure, unadulterated boredom. Still do - but roll my own. Why? I'm one of those sorry people who actually enjoys the flavor of tobacco (real tobacco - not the chemical manifesto pre-packaged by the tobacco companies). I actually started with cigars - Jamaican (Cuban being outlawed in the Untied Snakes). Then a pipe.

7. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I am one of those as well. I love hand rolls with quality tobacco (I hate prepackaged stuff) and even regular cigarettes that are good (Nat Shermans are the only thing the US has really, Europe and Middle-East have a bit more to offer). The bad quality of cigarettes in the US is one of reaons I'm looking to quit, among other things.

I like cigars - had a nice cuban on New Years Eve as a matter of fact - but my grandfather died from them so it puts a little mental stich in my mind that prevents me from wanting to smoke them except on rare occaisions which is probably a good thing.

8. Schwag

Schwag Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't think I'd smoke any more if they where cheaper. I only smoke 3 cigarettes a day at the most now anyways, and I have been smoking for a while. Unlike most people I don't find I'm really addicted to cigarettes, I can stop smoking them for weeks and have barely any trouble (if any). I wish they where cheaper so I could just buy a few cartons and then be set for a while.

9. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Definatly peer presure was what started SWIdr to smoke, he used to smoke ALOT, but quit as soon as he found out that there were drugs that would actually get him really high for $5 instead of a pack. SWIdr still smokes occasionally when he is really messed up, and prefers newports over his (used to be) preferred ciggarette, camels.

10. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Becuase I wanted to and I liked the way they make me feel. simple as that.

11. MrG

MrG Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I started smoking cigs in his early twenties (yeah I know, stoopid) because he got fed up with getting head spins off his regular joint consumption.

He smoked for more than ten years and then quit a coupla years ago by reading Allen Carr's Easyway book. Still smokes the weed (he feels that a few mins of head spins is better than the cancer sticks) but finds that tobacco is just such a pointless thing now.

Although one of the funniest pro-smoking quotes I read was:

"with the exception of searching for a gas leak, I believe there isn't a single activity that a cigarette can't enhance"

12. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Oringaly swia only smoked to acquire what she was after, she does not smoke tobacco. She has a close friend who said he still smoke even after his wind pipe was re attached to the side of his throat, which is kinda disturbing in its own right. We dont let him thou. However this sort of addiction can happen to anything really. Its just a shame it ruined him really. He still his jolly old self thou despite the shorter life duration.

Swia only smokes weed, and other things or chases, vaporizes. she even refuses to have her joints with tobacco too.

Can see you all nestled up by a fire place there nag, with that tobacco pipe. bless. do you tell stories too?
    :p

13. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM bought his first pack of cigarettes when he experienced his first OC withdrawl. I went to his mothers for a week to dry out after a year of oxy use, the anxiety was unbearable so SWIM walked down to the corner store and bought a pack of cigarettes. I found that while lying there sleepless at night feeling like he was about to jump out of his skin, going outside and smoking a cigarette would alleviate these symptoms for a few minutes... thus another nicotine addict was born. Fast forward 8 years later, I have just kicked nicotine and been tobacco free for 2 months and plans to keep it that way.

14. GreatWonder

GreatWonder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.K.
    SWIG started out of curiosity and thinking it enhanced SWIGs image. Never really got totally addicted though and often goes the whole week without. SWIG finds alcohol and smoking go together too well at the weekend though.

15. LiLiTH

LiLiTH Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from costa_rica
    Pure curiosity... I started smoking very young, fortunately kicked the habit a year ago. Now she wishes for laws against smoking in public places and higher prices for cigs as in other countries :)

16. beena

beena Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from U.K.
    I remember being at school and having a strong urge to try cigarettes. Very strange, almost as if I was craving nicotine, yet had never tried it. Neither of My parents smoked although some of her friends did. Maybe that did influence her slightly but she never felt pressured into doing it. I think an important factor may have been films. Seeing her favourite on-screen actors smoking and thinking they looked 'cool' probably contributed to her sudden desire to smoke. SWIM regrets it now though and sees tobacco as a gateway drug to harder substances. My tried most other drugs since and wants to give up. Seriously lacks willpower though.

17. melt_000

melt_000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    i started smoking to have something to do during my break at work, i mean what are you supposed to do for five minutes, and if it costs a quarter and i get a little high from it,but now i'm trying to stop, already down to like 4 a day from a pack a day during college. i kind of also wanted to see how strong this "addiction" thing is, so i had the intention of getting addicted.

i did get addicted and i did learn from it, but i think i can beat it. i only intended to smoke for like a year and it's been like a year and i'm pretty close... so probably not that much long term health damage.

there was also kind of a thing like.. to make myself tough enough to smoke a cigarette cause at first if i smoked a whole red i would throw up, that became an incentive to smoke more so i could ... smoke, i guess.

the weird thing i notice is that most of the time when i smoke, i don't really want to. i just want something to do. like if i really waited until i was craving a cigarette to smoke, i never would have smoked more than like 3 or 4 a day.. and becuase of this, most of the cigarettes i've smoked have only made me feel slightly sick and tired... it's pavlovian or something i guess

18. _caesar_

_caesar_ Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Sadly because Slash from Guns and Roses did, Marlboros too which I still smoke today.

19. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from zimbabwe
    Because it was what people around me were doing, not pier pressure as such, guess I just wanted to be different or bad in someway. One of the stupidest things i've ever done, I must say

20. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Swim's best friends began smoking cigarrettes and I used to give out hell to them. Them My friends and I started smoking cannabis with tobacco in joint's. And when the cannabis went away for a while I had craving's to smoke tobacoo......as a result I am now a tobacco smoker , swim regret's it but know's he aint too bad these days and I am sure he will get around to quiting.....one day anyway.....