Combinations - Why do opioid users use benzos with opiates?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by MonarchX, Oct 6, 2010.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am confused...opiates create good thoughts that are warm and it feels great. Why obn Earth would You take benzos that take away the warmth abd leave You feeling nothing.

2. Spucky

Spucky Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    AW: Why do opioid users use benzos with opiates?

After years and years on Heroin there is not such a big "Good Feeling" anymore,
    it is more kind of a Rest/ Recreation before the hunt for the next Hit starts!

Even if the Consumer have more than enough of the Stuff he will be not satisfied anymore,
    the Raccoon think "Satisfaction" is impossible to reach by Heroin alone!

This "Good Feeling" makes the User tired.

Supersaturated!

Another aspect may be the desire to not feel anything anymore,
    ie. Girls/Womens and Boys/Mens who work in the field of Street-Prostitution,
    or highly criminal People, or sick People, they all know they dig one's own Grave!

This Feeling need to be annihilated :cool:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. davestate

davestate Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from northern_ireland
    This is actually a quite a complex issue when you look at it. Why does any drug user do any drug? Just because you may not understand (I'll bet there are thousands out there who cannot fathom why anyone would use heroin) or get pleasure out of it, doesn't mean that some people wont enjoy it

Some users use to cover up problems in their lives, past or current trauma, mental pain or psychological disorders. Benzos are great at making you forget, helping you to sleep when your mind is racing or you are withdrawing. Besides that they are a CNS depressant, with some effects similar (but distinct in MoA) to alcohol. Plenty of people use that. Some people just like downers of any type, my lab rat for example never like stimulants of any kind. That carefree, anxiolytic effect, the relief of worry, can have a strong reinforcing, pleasurable effect in a lot of people predisposed to anxiety.

Since they are a CNS depressant, they enhance the sedation and in some cases the subjective euphoria of opiates. A smaller dose of the opiate of choice can seem to get one higher. It's worth pointing out at this point, that coadministration of benzos and opiates, especially IV use, can be very dangerous, due to enhanced respiratory depression.

Hopefully a few SWIMmers will share their reasons for use

4. midnightcast

midnightcast Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Although not a heroin user of anykind, I was a pretty hardcore codeine fiend. He used to combine it with phenergan for that sleepy effect. But when he was lucky to find some diazapam back in those days, he would always take some diazepam to make the day anxiety free, enjoy it for a couple of hours and then enter...codeine. This would make SWIM feel the codeine euphoria and limb heaviness, without any nausea/anxiety stomach type feelings.

SO basicly in the anxiety free happy blurry diazepam world, with the added effect of a codeine euphoria rushing up and down to compliment i.Sort of like a cake with chocolate topping being the codeine. This was the reason he mixed these two every time he had diazepam.

SWIM just wants to add taht when he did do these two together, he had NO IDEA that both of them together could kill him via respratory depression and always took the max of each he had.absolute 0 Tolerance on benzos aswell as he rarely found them. He Never ever went down on the codeine dose and if he had two tabs of vallies hed take both of the diazepam and even fell assleep while high a couple of times...LOL Now he is well informed thanks to this harm reduction site.

5. Lady Codone

Lady Codone Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM imagines this is mostly pleasurable to people who enjoy the dreamy, "nodding" effect of opiates rather than the euphoric aspect...but everyone's different. She personally finds both opiates and benzos useful for anxiety, but wouldn't take benzos for fun. The combo can also be deadly, especially in IV/high-dose users.

6. pitseleh

pitseleh Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    I think that You uses benzos to calm him down while he's on the hunt for his junk (heroin)... I has seen all too many a junkie with no junk pacing and searching for something to pawn for his next fix. but on the other hand You could be the calm, cool, collective junkie who seems to always have his junk in line.. this You junkie always has a prescription for some kind of benzos. even if it is only 0.5 mg Xanax twice daily. or even 1 mg Klonopin 3 times daily or prn. they'll probably run out before the next refill but hey You will manage.

7. organic_chemist

organic_chemist Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o from U.K.
    Depends which opiates You takes. Some such as Dihydrocodeine have minimal hypnotic properties, and can paradoxically cause insomnia. I know several Swimmers who won't touch DHC unless they have benzos!
    Of course taking benzo's with stronger more sedating opioids can put You in the morgue and should be avoided at all costs!

8. Cazador817

Cazador817 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Texas, U.S.A.
    while very dangerous to combine, swim knows he constantly took xanax with his heroin because it potentiated the nod and relaxation. Being a heroin addict does cause constant anxiety, which benzos help with in the short run. On the flipside it makes the withdrawals 100 times worse, benzo addiction on its own sucks, opiate addiction on its own sucks, combined its the worst habit to kick in ones opinion.

9. antialias

antialias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
    When someone has been using opiates for a long time and has a large tolerance, adding benzos to the mix (is potentially dangerous but) will increase the feelings of well-being, comfort and will permit the user to easily start nodding in and out of a dream-like state (which is the state that most opiate addicts enjoy and usually seek the most from the drug).

10. dyingtomorrow

dyingtomorrow Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree with the OP's question.

I have used heroin over 4 years. He's combined it with all kinds of other drugs, but he never liked to take benzos with it. Heroin has this special glow, and warmth, and euphoria of it's own. I have found that when you combined it with benzos, it just dulls all the good sensations of heroin and makes you nod so hard that you can't enjoy the feeling.

To SWIM, it's like taking your precious heroin, and turning it into fentanyl. Yeah it will knock you on your ass, but it doesn't feel that great either.

11. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Benzos will decrease the euphoria, but increase the nod.

I suppose, for (presumed) addicts who no longer get a euphoric reaction from Heroin (the poor dears!), they might choose to throw a benzo into the mix (er, by way of swallowing the benzo, not injecting it -hopefully!) to attempt to increase the nod without increasing the price paid. Benzos are dirt cheap on the street, while Heroin tends to be much more expensive (in comparison).

However, if an opiate addict isn't getting euphoria anymore from Heroin, perhaps it's time they tried something different, like getting off of Heroin if they can or maintenance drugs like Suboxone or Methadone if they can't (they aren't getting euphoria from Heroin anymore anyway, right?), rather than move into the risky and very dangerous behaviour of mixing benzos & Heroin. I've seen & heard of too many ODs & deaths with this combination!!

The last paragraph, of course, is a best-case-scenario situation.

~Kailey

12. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    A lot of good input here.

Another thing to consider is that opiates often make people irritable, not just after but also while they are high. I think there might be a link between this and how opiates are GABA antagonists, meaning they decrease GABA levels. Meanwhile benzos are GABA agonists so maybe combining the two increases GABA levels which possibly decreases the irritability. Although many people seem to agree that it messes up the pure opiate high.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  13. ruca

ruca Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from portugal
    Hi guys, noticed this is nolonger a recent post but as my cat is an avid user of both substances he would like to say that he either enjoys heroin on its own,which is quite good,why to have to explain it..but on the other hand if cat uses benzos to sinergize the high he doesnt really realises thast much of a difference in qualitty matters..ok you will nod harder if u abuse,and i mean abuse on benzos but apart from that it is quite enjoyable for my cat..well he realises it also has to do wich benzo your are using and(again)what amount or even if you are naive to them..but by using the combo cat hopes you are not..behare...my cat is just"curious somehow" on how mixing alcohol be?warmthful,what(he knows it is quite dangerous but arent benzos too?
    stay well
    r

ruca added 2 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

ah..cat forgot to mention that he is comboing h with lorazepam,and maybe cause he s coming from a diazepam combo abuse,those are felt much more "sweetly"maybe there are others reasons beyond from what he researched and believe he did...
    peace
    r

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  14. biggpri

biggpri Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    swim sometimes used opiates and benzos the same day because I would set a limit on the amount of opiates he could take in one day, so as to stretch his opiate supply for as many days as possible. sometimes when swim consumed his daily limit, and couldn't fall asleep, he'd get an intense craving to ingest more opiates. to remedy this, he'd just take some alprazolam or diazepam and it'd knock him right out until the next day when he could resume his opiate use.

15. TheKLF

TheKLF Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from U.K.
    My friend is agree with that but...e.g. when you are lowering your opiate dosage i.e. trying to stop aren't they useful (when you can't sleep e.g.)? Figure one who has lowered his dosage from 200-400 mg's of morphine a day (IV and IM) to...20 mg's per orally...Then, according to me, benzo use is justified (my friend tries lowest doses possible)...

My friend knows many many junkies who add benzoes to their opiate and end up addicted to both...And, it should be said, it looks less deadly than the previous "popular" combination of a sort in his area (heroin + glutethimide) that killed many of its users...I mean they are still alive, doing opiates + benzoes everyday, sometimes in ridiculous ammounts...Perhaps the reason is the smaller toxicity of the benzoes? They are all old junkies with high tolerance but...

16. downerhead

downerhead Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Because its the best high ever,at least in my humble opinion .I know a shot of heroin mixed with a few xanies was my absolute favorite for many years until I kicked. the smack .,

17. Petri6

Petri6 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from finland
    Now that I have a (sort of) heavy tolerance to both, I've noticed that some benzos combine nicely with opioids (oxazepam, diazepam and especially midazolam) adding sedation without diminishing the euphoria too much. However, I still prefer other "boosters" to benzos such as gababentin, tizanidine, cyclizine, hydroxyzine and especially pregabalin. It should be noted however that all of those (and especially benzos and pregabalin) greatly increase respiratory depression and the potential of a fatal overdose.

18. Trying Again

Trying Again Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I used large amounts of oxy and benzos plus alcohol as I could just to feel as much as effect as I could. I used heroin years ago and desperately wanted to go back to it but having a family I was trying to obliterate myself as much as possible to forget about heroin.

I started on weak opiates then added benzos to which my tolerance grew super fast then found oxy and once I wasn't getting enough from the combo I added alcohol (which I don't normally enjoy.) The benzos didn't take anything from the opiates for me but I much preferred the opiates and would have used a lot more if I could have. Benzo withdrawal is like hell on earth. I haven't done the opiate withdrawal this time around as I'm on suboxone but did one last year along with the benzos.

Dunno, benzos didn't ruin the opiates for me.