Why do people lie about Salvia divinorum

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by Softrat, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    For a long time now people have be posting fictious reports about the nature of the high produced by Salvia. I have seens these report on Errowid and many other places.

People that make these report make it sound like Salvia produces a high much like that of Daturas, Belladona, Dramamine, and other delerient hallucinogens. They descibe loosing all contact with reality and hallucinating things that are not there including completely different worlds.

I would like to state for the record that I do not belive these reportsfor a second. Salvia is a powerful drug no doubt, but the hallucinations it produces are juts not like that at all. Open eye visuals are distortions of what is there, along with things such as tranparent pattern etc. Closed eye visuals are very vivid patterns and images etc.

It is not valid to say that maybe Salvia effects people differently. While it is true that a given drug , particularly psychedellics, will have a range of effects from person to person there are limits to this. It is extreeeeemly unlikely to say the least that a given drug would produces fundamentaly different effects in different people as if it was not the same drug at all. While peoples body/brain chemistry varies it only does so within a certain range. Given this the same drug will produce a certain common ground of effects in people, despite have a certain range of variation.

Even the mental effects of psychedellic drugs, which seem in some ways so varied from person to person, have a common ground that ties all these varied reactions together under one broad effect. That effect is psychological intensification. The taking of ones phycological attributes and abilities and intensifying them significantly.

Because of all this I don't believe people really hallucinate other worlds and things when they take Salvia. The question remains however as to how did this cultural phenomenon of fibing about ones Salvia trips become so wide spread.

Edited by: Softrat

2. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "Plants" trying to drum up business for the various vendors? Or is that too cynical?

I've had people SWEAR up and down to me they had open eye visuals on
    3rd plat doses of DXM, I don't mean a pattern I mean whole other world
    things that aren't there etc. [​IMG]

3. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That may be part of it. Maybe it is also a coolness exaggeration thing. Ie: My salvia trip was so much stronger than yours.

4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    You obviously never smoked a bowl of 20X salvia. For at least a minute you will loose touch with all human emmotions if you smoke it properly.

5. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    wow, what a dumbass statement. yes, the world revolves around and your perception.

now back to reality. you are false in assuming that since you have not been able to reach a full blown experience, nobody else has. salvia is not a drug like any other. it is a very spiritual plant that hold a lot of tradition and power. too many people get half-assed dizzy type highs because they didn't consume the salvia properly or get enough salvinorum a into their system ... and then they think that's all there is to salvia. you must be in clear state of mind and be in a setting that is not destracting or 'grounding' in any way. (like a dark silent or ambient temple setting.) you then must get enough salvinorun a into your system fast enough. if you are going to use regular leaf you must use a butane lighter and heat the leaves to 260 degrees and hold the torchflame to the leaf the enter 'hit.' you then hold it and count to 20 or so, long enough to absorb all the salvinorun a. then you exhale and repeat. if this doesn't work for you then try an extract. I had a couple friends that were skeptics like you, until they tried 25x extract. also pure salvinorin a produces a much stronger effect then any dmt I has done.

bottom line is that your more experienced phsychonauts are not lieing to you, and the world isn't conspiring against you. once you cross the threshold of holding on, salvia is the most intense experience you could receive. you can literally enter an entire other universe and set of physics for mere seconds and what may seem years to you... and awaken again in this reality with only 15 minutes past. this is a reality. if you have not experience it yet, and therefore think it can't exist, then too bad for you.

:p

salvia is by no means recreational if done properly.

6. 42itis

42itis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Salvia is similar to a deliriant, some of these recountable episodes may very well be true, at least in the minds of those who tell them.

7. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have never had any problem breaking through on salvia. The first time I smoked salvia was with 5X extract, well over a year ago. I got very high and saw patterns. Often times on Salvia it feels and looks like the whole fabric ofspace is bending and folding. However this is still in the relm of disortions of what is there.

Since then I smoke the 10X Salvia about once a month. I have never had any trouble geting very high with salvia. But there is nothing in the nature of the high that would even remotly suggest that Salvia would become a delirient like datura even in massive overdose.

I should also point out, even delirents like Datura and dramamine, do not cause people to see whole other worlds. On these drugs you do tend to have vivid hallucination of things and people that are not there, but even then they are intergrated with your experience with external reality. Even delerients do not shut down your sense experience and cause you to see only hallucinations.

8. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Oh by the way even under large dosses of Salvia I retain complete 100% volitional control of my behaivor. I know exactly what is going on, who I am, where I am, etc. I don't run around like a mad man. I remain seated until balance is returned. I don't play with matches. I can talk if need be, and reply in a coherent and sensable way. If other people are around I know exactly who they are. [​IMG]

9. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The counterpart to the "I got so much more fucked up then you" is the
    "I can take anything and still be totally sober you pussies".

10. Pinkavvy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    uhhuh. try a change of atmousphere. try a change of mindset. i've been grounded by people in the room before too, talking ... radio, etc. these are all things that ground you.

a phsychonaut doesn't just experience the effects of a drug, but rather explores that depths of themselves and their perceptions. I suggest you do it in a ceremonial setting. and when you feel the effects start to tug, let go. don't be anchored by sounds and what is going on "around" you but ride the slopes. open your mind and explore.

5x and 10x extract are often not strong enough. if you have not yet experienced a reality-shifting experience, and you desire to, try 25x extract or pure salvinorin a.

11. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Oh I don't claim to be stay sober at all on Salvia. As I said it is very powerful. Maybe I will order some 20 X next time. But I highly doubt after taking a good hit I will be off in some extreeme Datura universe driving a bus that is not there, down a mountain road that does not exist, talking to people that are not there![​IMG]

Also since I take Salvia for medical reasons, sleepwalking, most of the time I do smoke it alone, in a dark room, no radio or TV. I still have yet to find myself in a mexican desert, selling movie tickets, to John Lennon and a blue Gekco that is 10' tall holding an umbrella.[​IMG]

12. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Of coarse I could just pack my next bowl of 10X with twice my normal dose......Dare I![​IMG] I will!

I will post what happens........if I ever come back that is[​IMG]Edited by: Softrat

13. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have personally become totally detatched with my surroundings, feelings, ect. while on salvia. I have experienced the strange feelings and visual distortions, but then I came close to breaking through the last time, and it was very close to delerium. It wasn't a full blown hallucination where I was in a different place and I wasn't a different person, it was just a total nonsense thought loop and everything aside from the elements involved in the thought loop were nonexistant.

14. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    "Because of all this I don't believe people really hallucinate other worlds and things when they take Salvia. The question remains however as to how did this cultural phenomenon of fibing about ones Salvia trips become so wide spread."

It is a very strong dissociative these things are not uncommon with using salvia. I have gotten all of the above you explained from high doses of DXM, and salvia is a stronger dissociative. People discribing dissociation can sound alot like delerium.

"It is extreeeeemly unlikely to say the least that a given drug would produces fundamentaly different effects in different people as if it was not the same drug at all."

I would have to disagree, this is not the case with dissociatives, noticing this with DXM as well as others peoples experiences on dissociatives vary more than any kind of drug possible.

I agree with everything pinkavvy has said. No one is lieng about salvia trips, but I can see how your frustration of not being able to have a mind blowing experience has gotten you to think so.

15. Pinkavvy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    softrat maybe you should try iv'ing salvinorin a. ;)

j/k robocop :p

16. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Robo Cop,

If one thing can be said for certain, it is that Salvia is definitely not a dissociative. It is a psychedelic. It doesn't dull the senses the way a dissociative would, if anything it tends to increase sensory sensistivity. Under salvia their is no loss of awarness of the body. I have had one salvia experience where I was very very very acutely aware of my body.

The day after a Salvia experience a persons senses are more alive than ever. You are aware of both the external world and youself more intensly than ever. Your thoughts are stimulated. This is no dissociative at all.

17. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think part of the reason for the false reporting stems from the quasi-religious views of many users of psychedelic drugs. Many people who use these drug are basicly what I call wannabe primitives or wanabe shaman.

Long story short they like to belive than when they take psychedellics and other hallucingens the hallucinatory effects of these drugs are not simply sensory effects of their organs but instead magical entities from another plane of existance, or that they themselves, the psychonaught, are traveling to another world.

I belive in some cases the bogus reporting on Salvia stems from a desire to validate this world view. "Here now at last is a plant sacrament that truely takes us to the other side and away from this vulger phsyical world of absolutes", is the essense of the motive.

18. Pinkavvy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    softrat - it is ignorant to assume your experiences reflect that of any others.

did you know that salvia experiences of actually leaving reality have been around for hundreds of years? did you know that many people are phsychonauts and do use differant substances to truely explore their minds and realities .... they are much differant than the dumb druggies that sit around trying to pick apart the high of a substance.

it's a shame you have not experience a true salvia trip out of this world. it's a shame that your logic makes you think nobody else has.

lol

19. Softrat

Softrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Pinkavvy that just means people have ben rejecting reality for hundreds of years.

It is not ignorant to assume thatSalvia has a particular nature and can produce effects only in accordance with what it is. If a person claimed that drinking alcohol gave them the power of flight you would know they were lying cause such is not within it's nature.

Salvia is a psychedellic. This means it produces a psychedellic effect, not a dellirient , not a dissociative. Because people are different in body make up and brain chemistry and the ideas they hold there will be a certain range of effects. It does not follow from this that anything is possible. Just as Salvia has a particular nature so does the human brain and body. And people only differ so much. This does place very real limits on the range of effects that a drug produces.

I have heard some of these absurd claims made about other psychedellics, but Salvia was interesting cause there was such an intense wave of it.

And Pinkavvy it is a shame that your illogic has caused you to never experince the true glory of the psychdellic experience. Psychedellics are not to be about rejecting reality and trying to escape into some fantasy shaman world. Properly used, psychedellics are about seeing this world, the real one, on a level largely closed to those who do not use them, or those that use them to escape reality.

They are also about discovering you, understand what makes you tic, fixing what needs to be fixed, improving upon what needs improvement. But you will never discover this side of the psychedellic experience if you are bussy talking with Mckenna style entities, or trying to visit other worlds where logic has no use and something is true just cause you belive it is true. The religious/shamantic approach to psychedellics is a form of drug abuse.

You will also never experience this side of psychedellics (ie: therational side) if you can't even be honest with yourself about what the basic effects of a drug are.Edited by: Softrat

20. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Softrat, what the hell are you trying to prove? Are you saying that Timothy Leary is full of shit too? Anyone that has profound thought through the use of drugs is a stinking hippie maybe?

You know what? Drugs don't even EXIST. They're all just psychosomatic reactions, we ACT like we're high and having certain effects, becuase that's what THE MAN tells us we're supposed to feel like when we take the "drugs".

Maybe people aren't ALL full of shit liars, and we're not all out to get you. Lots of people have very different and profound experiences with the same drug. What makes you right and everyone else wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.