Why Does Eating Cannabis Produce Different Effects Than Smoking It?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Bajeda, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is a question I has pondered often over the course of his cannabis use, and had trouble understanding. He isn't sure how much people know about the differences, so he thought he would share some information and see what people know.

Recently swim purchased the book Hashish! by Robert Connell Clarke and found some interesting tidbits.

Apparently after going through your liver delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol is metabolized into 11-hydroxy-tetrahydracannabinol, which produces different effects than the normal THC absorbed in the course of smoking. This combined with the more efficient absorption of THC by the body when utilizing the eating method of consumption helps to produce the strong, long-lasting, and multiphasic effects felt after orally consuming cannabis.

There is more though, so I typed up some excerpts from the book for swim. The information here is quite interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, comments, or further information to provide.

2. Bez

Bez Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Mr Monkey guesses it must be because of the slower release into to body and the fact it hasn't been burnt to shit means that more chemicals present themselves in his little brain and he gets more wasted....

My Monkey has had OOB experiences and OEV's from eating hashish cakes, anyone else had this at all?

3. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    absorbtion is all about it.
    smoking brings the THC to the brain rapidly, without it getting modified in any way.
    by eating hashish the THC passes through the liver and will be metabolized before entering the bloodstream. and the amounts eaten are usually higher than the amounts smoked, as the hashish is more concentrated, like everybody knows.

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It's possible that the active component of cannabis, Δ9-THC, is changed to the more psychoactive 11-hydroxy-THC in the liver when eaten rather than smoked. It's also possible that cannabinoids can be absorbed more efficiently when ingested instead of smoking it. I wouldn't consider this a great mystery or anything. Ingested cannabis has a very different effect to smoked cannabis and it's pretty obvious that there's a very different chemical process going on using both methods.

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Almost every single time.

SWIJ loves eating hash but can't get on with joints at all. One of the main things about eating is the come up is gradual. One of her main issues with smoking is the sudden lurch from straight to high, which she usually finds rather distressing.

6. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim just really likes to know how things work in his body. In particular he likes to know how recreational substances affect him.

Also swim really enjoys the high from eating hashish (he hasn't had real good experiences with weed eating yet). If he could get it where he is now he would just take a large amount to get an lsd type trip. Its just amazing how much harder eaten cannabis can affect you compared to smoked.

In any case, as I am a total cannabis fiend (for about 7 years and running) he totally loved reading about the differences between eating vs. smoking.

Any one have cool stories from eating cannabis?

7. Bez

Bez Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    My Monkey had whipped up a batch of 10 cakes with a quart of solid hash in. He took these to Reading Music festival and proceeded to eat one and so did the rest of the gang at around 6pm. As he had done it before he knew that it took a long time to come up, but some of the others didn't and so before he could stop them they ate another! He told them off but knew that funny things were hoing to happen later...

As the evening went on my monkey was trippin a bit watching the bands having a great laugh and really enjoying the show when the others that had eaten the extra cake started going proper mental and running around shouting at stuff that wasn't there. It was very funny but very hard work stopping them from running off into the nite on their own in a festival of 90000 people! the rest of the nite was spent asking them really stupid questions and listening to their insane answers around the fire...... oh those silly monkeys

8. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^^^^^ lol, sounds like fun, if you aren't the one chasing people around at least!

Just remembered I had a trip report in the Overdose thread in this forum so thought I would post it for him here as well.

9. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    This is just logic, but I have a theory that when it's eaten, some active cannaboids are digested that normally would be absorbed into the lungs, and perhaps other chemicals that are destroyed while burning or not absorbed in the lungs are absorbed when eaten. This seems like a practical explanation but again, I don't have information backing this up.