Why does it burn?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Djvr16, May 29, 2006.

1. Djvr16

Djvr16 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Whenever swim smokes, even a small bit, his throat always starts to kinda burn. It's very very annoying, always coughing or clearing his throat. He drinks water, eats ice pops, and food but nothing seems to help for the duration of most of the high. Swim smokes quite a bit :) Is there anything to help this while he smokes? I don't think cough drops would do much, maybe? Swim thanks you

2. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It's all in your smoking technique.. I imagine you are taking a long draw directly into your lungs, instead of filling your mouth with smoke, then inhaling.. What I would suggest, is filling your mouth with smoke, then inhaling through the nose(french inhaling?) or mouth.. That gives the smoke a chance to cool before you inhale it, and eases the burning sensation on your throat.. If it's not in your smoking method, it could just be that you are getting crappy weed, that has not been dried and cured properly.. Also, even smooth cannabis does seem to cause an expansion of the lungs and coughing, but usually after exhaling, and it doesn't burn the throat..

3. Djvr16

Djvr16 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM loves to french inhale, as it looks really neato. He does take long tokes. I'm sure he will try your suggestion. He had an older technique by taking tokes inhale, exhale not really holding it in too long. Recently, past year, he has been taking tokes holding it for a few seconds, exhale a little, inhale, exhale because it does seem to get him more high with a less amount of weed. :)

4. gitst0opid

gitst0opid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If problems are persistent, then i suggest an alternative technique of smoking. You should try doing a gravity bong or a waterfall bong, that way, you don't have to inhale smoke over a long period of time. Just my $0.02

5. CrookedEye

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    BTW, it's not so much the long tokes, as it's the direct inhalation of hot smoke into the bronchial tubes, so gravity bonging it is gonna make you hack probably alot more than a long smooth slow hit, which will cause a more agitated throat.. Smaller hits seem to reduce the coughing and agitation of the throat, too.. Also, I would suggest the use of a waterpipe filled with ice and water to cool it, which will also greatly reduce the harshness...

6. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    What way does you(usually) smoke?Does it matter for You if he smokes a J, a gravity bong or a vaporiser?

7. gitst0opid

gitst0opid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Oh, I see now. At first i thought his throat was burning because he takes puffs and puffs and...pu
    But yeah, take Crookedeye's advise and use bongs and such with ice and water to cool it the smoke before it enter you lungs.

8. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Use a bong with ice in it to cool down the smoke, and take smaller hits. Also the quality of the smoke makes a huge difference.

When i smoke crappy hash (only when it's a free toke) my throat hurts too. But when i smoke some real good chocolate thai i can take huge hits, no problem.

9. Djvr16

Djvr16 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim LOVES taking huge rips out of his waterpipe filled untill the ice touches his lips. He usually smokes bowls though, as it's just a little less hassel. Swim thanks everyone for the quick replies and helpfulness :)

ai10.photobucket.com_albums_a111_djvr16_DCFC0005.jpg

10. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    swim always finds that if his throat is hurting water and ice pops etc only give temporary relief. I find that afterwards smoking becomes more painful.

furthermore I feel that throat pain while smoking can be caused by the strain or dryness of the weed or the sort of tobacoo used.

if u r smoking with tobacco swim advises investing in some rolling tobacco which is generally more moist than ciggarette tobacco.

however if the pain continues then u shud be aware that your body is trying to tell u not to smoke. perhaps u have an ultra-sensitive throat and would be better off ingesting for example

11. Djvr16

Djvr16 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim likes to eat pot, but has only had a few successes. He follows the original firecracker recipe, though it only seems to work sometimes, which gets him irritated from wasting the green. If there was a sure all time positive way of eating, small amounts, he would deffinatly be up for it :)

12. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    what sort of amounts would u consider ingesting, there are many recipes on this site and others and I has very rarely been dissapointed with the results

13. CrookedEye

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would suiggest cannabutter in large batches.. One method is basically adding butter, cannabis, and water all to a big pot and simmering it for 12-16 hours.. Then filter through cheesecloth (discard the cannabis waste), place it in the fridge, and the cannabutter will solidify, leaving the water underneath. Carefully take the chunks off the top, you can try to squeeze out any excess water and dump it.. This can now be used in any recipe that calls for butter.. Cooking up many small batches is probably less practical for those who want to regularly ingest ganja food..

14. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    In my experience toking method is the main factor regarding throat pain and coughing
    Also I have found that eating or drinking anything is only a temporary fix and continuing too toke after wards the coughing is worse SWIM now only eats and drinks when he has finished smoking for a while.
    SWIM personally found munching on a few sore throat sweets before smoking numbed his throat completely and he had much less trouble with coughing