Question - Why does tramadol have no effect for me?

Discussion in 'Tramadol' started by volchitsa, Mar 15, 2019.

1. volchitsa

volchitsa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from Australia
    I have taken 200mg instant release tramadol, and when it did absolutely nothing, I tied 300mg but again, nothing. I didn't want to go any higher as I am epileptic and shouldn't really be taking this drug as I know it lowers one's seizure threshold. I used to use morphine and then heroin for quite a few years, but I'd been clean for about a year and a half when I tried tramadol. It didn't work as a painkiller, it didn't make me drowsy, it felt like I'd taken nothing at all. Certainly didn't get me high. I tried it again nearly a year later (about a month ago now) and same deal. Just doesn't seem to affect me at all.

I do have a genetic kind of tolerance with opiates; when I first took morphine at age 16 I had 100mg and was still standing and walking around happy as a clam, although I did throw up a bit. Apparently this affects approximately 7% of people of European ancestry. Given that tramadol binds only weakly to the brain's opiate receptors, could this by why it has no effect on me?

2. curious_38

curious_38 The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from Ohio
    Why are you taking tramadol if you are an epileptic? I wouldn't take that medication if I was epileptic because that's really dangerous. Tramadol doesn't give the umpf like morphine or heroin. It should definitely not be used with people prone to seizures i.e. epilepsy!

3. volchitsa

volchitsa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from Australia
    Yes I know. It wasn't a wise choice. I don't intend to use it again. I let my curiousity defeat good sense. It didn't give me a seizure, but I was curious why it seemingly had 0 effect on me.

4. curious_38

curious_38 The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from Ohio
    That's a good thing it didn't have an effect on you! Stay away from knowingly seizure inducing drugs.