Opinions - Why Does/Would you Use Kava-Kava?

Discussion in 'Kava-Kava' started by Bajeda, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Relaxation / Simple Recreation

85 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Enhance Productivity / Academic Purposes

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Anxiolytic (Anxiety-Reducing Effects) / Mood Enhancer

76 vote(s)
    58.0%
  4. To Combine With Other Substances

28 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Other (Please Explain Further In Post)

11 vote(s)
    8.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If You uses kava-kava or has used it, or would be interested in trying it in the future could you explain why?

Kava is a very interesting substance with a diverse array of effects that seems to have great potential for beneficial use, as well as seeming to be an excellent pairing with many other substances. I am interested in the reasons people use Kava, what success they have had with the substance, and any other comments they have about Kava-Kava in general.

Here are some potential uses for piper methysticum...

1. Simple relaxation after a long day seems to be a big reason for people to use Kava. I haven't had enough experience with it yet (he has been messing around with various extracts as opposed to actual root so far) but he feels that Kava could be a good alternative to alcohol, opiates, cannabis, or other substances often used for this purpose as it doesn't have the same levels of side effects or addictiveness, not to mention that you can still function under its effects.

2. Also, I have been looking into Kava for academic related reasons. It calms him down and helps him to focus somewhat. An even better use for Kava in this context may be to combine it with stimulants commonly used to enhance productivity as it appears to have synergy with them and reduce many common negative side effects accredited to these stimulants. Anyone use Kava to enhance / assist productivity or other aids used for such purposes?

3. Kava also functions as an anxiolytic, helping to reduce levels of anxiety. It seems that people could possibly use piper methysticum as a natural self-treatment for anxiety related problems, maybe in conjunction with other substances that could be useful for such persons such as St. Johns Wort, Valerian, or Bacopa. I am interested in the experiences of individuals who use Kava for its anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing) effects.

Here are some studies relating to Kava and its potential use as an anxiolytic, as an alternative to Benzos or even as a supplement:

A placebo-controlled study of Kava kava in generalized anxiety disorder

Anxiolytic-like effects of Kava-Kava in the elevated plus maze test—a comparison with diazepam

Efficacy of Kava-Kava in the Treatment of Non-Psychotic Anxiety, Following Pretreatment with Benzodiazepines

Enhanced cognitive performance and cheerful mood by standardized extracts of Piper methysticum (Kava-kava)
    ( Unlike conventional benzodiazepine-type anxiolytics, which tend to impair cognitive performance and to increase the occurrence of negative affective states, Kava is a potent anxiolytic agent, which, additionally, can facilitate cognitive functioning and can increase positive affectivity related to exhilaration.)

Extracts of kava (Piper methysticum) induce acute anxiolytic-like behavioral changes in mice

Kava-kava and Anxiety: Growing Knowledge About the Efficacy and Safety
    ( Unlike other substances used for these purposes, kava-kava has been shown to have minimal negative effects, and possibly positive effects, on reaction time and cognitive processing. Furthermore, it decreases anxiety without the loss of mental acuity.)

4. Another potential use for Kava I see is in pairing with other substances to accentuate effects or pacify negative side effects. Kava along with stimulants has alot of exploration potential, especially within the realm of enhancing productivity and mental focus. Anecdotal reports also point towards the benefits of using Kava in conjunction with substances that can increase anxiety, leading to negative effects. Reports of mixing Kava with Salvia Divinorum are promising, with indications that Kava can help make for a more fulfilling and positive experience. I'd like to see more information on this, as well as mixing Kava with Adderall, DMT, other stimulants, other psychdelics and ethnos, etc. Anyone have experience with this or have Kava specifically to use in combinations?

5. There are probably other reasons why people would use Kava. If You uses Kava for a different purpose than any of those listed above please explain.

So please let me know why You uses, has used, or wants to use Kava. Select the applicable options on the poll if You falls into the "uses" or "has used" category, and if You falls into the "wants to use" category simply post a reply and respond to the poll after trying and finding out whether piper methysticum meets your expectations.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Re: Why Does/Would You Use Kava-Kava?

I used Kava when it was legally available for relaxation at stressfull events and as a reacrational drug. Expecially with concentrated kavalactones I have had a lot of fun. The drunk like happy feeling of kava is very nice in SWIM's opinion. It is important to find good quality kava-kava though. But that goes for most herbs.

3. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Findings seem to suggest that this is a well tolerated substance that is generally well-received. Its anxiolytic relaxing effects are of great interest to me and I'm sure other people. Its just odd with Kava that its actually a bother to find anecdotal reports from people who use it for those effects.

I have been using Kava somewhat for these effects, but initially he was more interested in combining it with other substances, and has only used it sparingly for productivity purposes or anxiety relieving purposes by itself.

Quality of the Kava is quite important. You'd want to be sure to get effective and good quality material to be sure it works like it should.

4. wOrship

wOrship Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

I use kava alone on a daily basis and regularly in combination with blue lotus and blue lily and cannabis.

I have suffered varying degrees of social anxiety for many years, it first started affecting him in his mid to late teens and has varied from mild to periods where it has been crippling. I have tried ssri's for the problem but discontinued use after suffering negative side effects.

Swim discovered kava about a year or so ago and finds its use as an anxiolytic absolutley invaluable, he finds it to be extremely effective, it calms swim down in almost any social setting and I has started enjoying social scenarios that he would previously have found utterly intolerable. In my experience it is the most powerful ally he has so far found, he is by no means a doctor or qualified in any way, but from experience he would certainly recommend it to anyone (where it is legal, obviously) suffering anxiety problems, at least for a trial. In this instance for swim, kava has been nothing short of a godsend, it has allowed swim to persue a normal, comfortable social life for the first time in many years.

I had to discontinue cannabis use also many years ago because it totally ceased to be enjoyable for swim, instead it started dropping him almost immediately into a very distressed state of overpowering anxiety and paranoia, highly unpleasant.

Swim a few months ago decided that given the beneficial effects for him of kava, he would try an experiment to see if it had any effect on the anxiety brought about by the use of cannabis. I took a heavyish dose of kava over the period of an hour or so, and then proceeded to smoke a small amount of some particularly strong weed I got from a friend.
    I was utterly amazed at the result, the euphoria he felt astonished him and there was no hint of the old anxiety at all, at any stage throughout the evening and swim ended up smoking quite a bit of the weed over the course of the evening - kava has an amazing synergy with MJ, I find that for him it adds a reassuring comfort to the stone, it appears to completely remove the edgy feeling he associates with her.

I have also noticed a very pleasant synergy between kava and blue lotus, infact kava, blue lotus/lily and cannabis is fast becoming one of swims favourite combinations.

I am still astounded at how powerful an anxiolytic he finds kava to be, he is very glad to have found it, he credits kava with enriching his life to an incredible degree, far from being banned in some countries I am of the opinion that it should be prescribed by doctors for anxiety and depression.

The highly dubious claims that this herb damages the liver in any way was a travesty in swims opinion, deliberately falsified disinformation by a drug company in order to get it banned and to promote their own product, I am happy to see that slowly many countries are reversing the ban on this amazing herb.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  5. DEViANCE

DEViANCE Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Someone I know uses it purely for its anxiolytic effects.

As a long time sufferer of panic attacks from a panic disorder apparently it's very good at reducing 'low level' background anxiety that effects many people with same or similar disorders.

6. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Made tayo's robot very social.

7. RxPosterChild

RxPosterChild Newbie

Reputation Points:

Addison Finch uses it primarily for relaxing and the anti-anxiety effects. Although he prefers Xanax, or Ativan, he knows these can be addictive and tries to stray away. He finds the kava-kava high to be mildly unpleasant. He describes it as "making you feel light headed and slow."

8. Pino

Pino Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from The Netherlands

I use it for reducing stress (a cup of kava instead of coffee in the after none and working seems to be quite fun without reducing efficiency -well not really true, I am somewhat slower, but also less prone to make mistakes, because he is less stressed out-) and as alcohol replacement, when going out.

A high dose of concentrated kavalactones is different. It is more a 'drug' in the sense amphetamine is more a drug compared to coffee. It makes me stoned and drunk and sociable and happy.

Kava is the coffee of the more relaxing psychoactives. It works, it is subtle, but not overly, and it can be done without really interfering with your doings at the moment -even complex tasks can be done on kava, of course not when taking too much, but if I take too much coffee his ability to concentrate on things is shot too-.

I like the taste too.

9. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o

I have a thing for downers.He will try anything but he finds the drugs that are of actual use to him,the ones that improve the quality of his life are those that create relaxation and take away anxiety.I don't know why he is always so anxious and finds it hard to relax.But anything that is effective,easily procured,legal,and cost effective could do wonders for swim's life.This is why I has began experimenting with kava.Opiates..wonderful things but also able to wreck havoc on my life.If they were legal and readily available it might be different.This is a fantasy world though for swim.Benzodiazepines a little bit easier to get than opiates but I could see them becoming a problem if he isn't cautious.Maybe even a bigger problem than opiates.Kava kava may very well be the answer I am seeking.

10. Johan73

Johan73 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from New York, U.S.A.

Swim likes kava for recreation, socialization, and relaxing.

Swim likes to watch movies, but usually loses interest in them quickly and is always thinking about doing something else while watching them. Kava helps swim relax and stay focused on the movie to be able to enjoy it.

I am usually a bit anxious around other people even his own family members and finds that having a good amount of kava before a family meal or event really helps him relax and be more sociable and enjoy company more.

Swim sometimes uses a bit of kava before long meetings at work just to help relax and stay focused on the meeting. It helps swim a lot because otherwise I am chomping at the bit to get out of the meeting and can hardly sit still.

Swim sometimes takes a small amount before driving just to stay focused. This use might be controversial but I think it makes him drive safer. Else swim can feel the temptation to slight road rage and possibly stupid maneuvers in traffic.

Swim enjoys alcohol as well, perhaps a bit too much, but with a good dose of kava I don't need any alcohol, which helps him lay off the alcohol at least a few days a week.

11. KavaKafe

KavaKafe Newbie

Reputation Points:

Kava is antibacterial and anti fungal.
    Kava, like most herbs, are as good as or better than their prescription counterparts.
    Kava is for peace making.
    Kava can be used topically for a huge range of health related problems.

12. Kamuix

Kamuix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Canada

Up to now I use Kava to reduce restlessness for sleep.

Swim attempted to use it recreationally before that after reading that it's effects are similar to alcohol but didn't notice any alcohol like effects. -_- still not sure why it's compared to alcy.

After reading some posts here he might try using it for a few other things and see how effective it is

13. akack2

akack2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

I have found kava root powder to be useful in getting rest and also for keeping him from the pub which is his greatest downfall

14. KavaKafe

KavaKafe Newbie

Reputation Points:

I use Kava a couple times a week and owns a kava bar in Hawaii. SWIM notices that the regulars who come to the Kava Kafe use it for different reasons, primarily as a pain reliever (after a day of rock wall building) and a mood enhancer (after a day of getting scolded by the boss). Some costumers use kava to regulate their sleep cycle and yet others use it as a ceremonial drug. Kava also has topical uses. In a double blind placebo controlled study kava was shown to not only aid in the healing of wounds and bruises but also in the releasing of tight muscles. It doesn't just numb the pain like a pill would but instead numbs the pain and fixes the problem so the pain won't occur again. I know of a few people who use kava strictly as an aphrodisiac. In mild doses kava has been shown to enhance the reaction speed of humans. The Fijian military is aware of this and gives it to their soldiers before training exercises.

15. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I like it because it's a safer, legal, healthier alternative to alcohol to socialize over. And because it goes great with valerian root and a low-dose of alprazolam for relaxation/euphoria.

16. RX420

RX420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from zimbabwe

I used it many years ago before benzos took over most of swims probs. I had great relaxation and believe sit does have enough anxity properties ofvalium at the right dose had. its great for a chill not at home with a drink or opiate/benzo.

I would tak ea benzo over it easily , but its a nice drink to relax withouth having wds in longterm use and is great for wds also, when You runs out.

17. Voodoostarr

Voodoostarr Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

For swim, Kava is a great ending to a long stressful day.

18. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

The Doktor finds Kava-kava just the thing to prescribe as a recreational, along the lines of alcohol, but without the negative effects (dehydration, headaches, vomiting...)

The Doktor was rather skeptical about the effects of kava, their previous experiences had been mild at best and they have never found benzos to of any real value, and certainly not "fun". That was until a recent experiment using larger quantities of powdered root (1/8th cup+ per dose) proved to be exceptionally mind altering. A warm fuzzy glow wrapped around the Doktor like a soft blanket. They still haven't quite figured out the best way to utilize the state, sleep almost seems like a waste. Well there's a number of parties coming up, so that will provide one venue for experiments, the Doktor is curious to try some fire dancing under the effects of the kava, they are very cautious about performing under the influence, but are getting confident to start some careful experiments with possible enhancements to the experience.

Meditation and ritual work seem feeesible, the fact that Pendell places kava on the bridge between Euphorica and Thanantopathia offers some intriguing insight into it's place in ritual context.

19. Frost og Taake

Frost og Taake Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

In a double blind placebo controlled study kava was shown to not only aid in the healing of wounds and bruises but also in the releasing of tight muscles. It doesn't just numb the pain like a pill would but instead numbs the pain and fixes the problem so the pain won't occur again.

This an interesting sounding statement. SWIM have never used Kava (just received today but yet to try I say). But please post a source(s) about these claims you have. Just for those of us whom are interested could research further. Thank you.

20. downerz

downerz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I use Kava to relax after a hard day at work. It also helps swim to get sound sleep and wake up refreshed in the morning. Swim loves swims Kava......