Opinions - why drugs should be banned

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by Busted, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Busted

Busted Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o
    yes, simply question, i'm looking for some opinions for my project
    please help

2. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  3. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I hope you mean "why drugs SHOULDN'T be banned".

4. Busted

Busted Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o
    actually i mean why they shouldn't be legalized

5. SPWIM

SPWIM Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Drugs should be banned so people can OD because of purity descrepancies, steal to afford the drug prices, hurt themselves by administering drugs incorrectly, use drugs irresponsibly through misinformation or lack of information and avoid an industry that provides taxes to the state and pleasure to the people.

1. 3/5,
      Nice answer. :P
      Oct 27, 2006
    2. 4/5,
      You hit the nail on the head:)
      Oct 21, 2006
    3. 5/5,
      good post
      Oct 19, 2006
    4. 5/5,
      lol you did answer the man's question, and in style I might add
      Oct 19, 2006
  6. Omelet

Omelet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i doubt you'll find too many like opinions here... but nothing bad can come from asking i suppose...

What sort of project is this, by the way?

7. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I could argue that point, but most of the supporting arguments that go with it are weak and not really worth the time in my opinion.

If your project entails throwing a bunch of BS together and packaging it then just go to the DEA website and I'm sure they have your answer.

If you at least look at it from an objective viewpoint (i.e. Should drugs be legal or not?) you will get more help here. Though seriously, with all the evidence there is out there historically, anthropologically, politically, pharmacologically, anecdotally, etc., that drugs would be legal to a fairly open degree.

A better question is why are they banned in the first place?

8. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    You are calling them 'drugs' in general, which in itself implies lumping unharmful and utterly harmful psychoactives together. Your question is corrupt, so the answer to your question can only be corrupt. Other than that I'd go with SPWIM.

9. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Because if they were legal, you parents probably would have done them, which would make them uncool.

10. Omelet

Omelet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ...to be fair, this is "Drugs-forum", "the international drugs community"...

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    And for exactly that reason.
    I think the essence of this problem is that the mass does not understand. There is no differentiation between drugs. Every time the term drugs instead of the exact word for the drug is written in the papers, this is a crime against humanity IMO. People are kept dumb and assume use of drugs will lead to a live as junkies they see on the streets. I can only hope this site makes a difference in that process. It is an important motivation for me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
    1. 5/5,
      It is an important motivation of mine to....I hope it does make a difference even in the slightest degree
      Oct 19, 2006
  12. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    The main reason that springs to mind is upsetting the balance of global economic power. Another is fear and close-mindedness. Another is because certain people should never touch drugs, therefore NO-ONE is allowed touch them. Another is religion and judgmental attitudes, superiority complex. None of these reasons apply to the average individual who can enjoy outlawed substances in the privacy of their own homes but one must realise that every crooked politician out there has their own agendas when it comes to this issue. Another huge one, and I'll leave it at that, is unwillingness to change. If a politician steps out and announces he wishes to change drug policy he will be fed to the lions. Think of it as a bunch of little boys in primary school. The first boy who shows fondness to girls will be seen as something of a weirdo. Eventually, due to hormonal impulses, most will change. Unfortunately in the case of drugs, people can shelter themselves away from them and denounce them while they pop their sleeping pills and drink themselves to death like the hypocrites they are. [/rant]

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    This person is using an infamous proxy server. I'll bet this is another of the Singapore "students" looking for more reasons to whip their people bloody for a joint of pot. Or littering for that matter.

14. thundercles

thundercles Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    All that is happening now, many of those problems would be solved by legalization. There would be no purity descrepencies with legalization, there would be standardization of purity, drug prices would be lower when legalized, means to administer drugs properly would be readily available, proper information about the drugs would be right there on the packaging (probably along with a surgeon general's warning), and what's wrong with pleasure to the people and tax money to the state?

15. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Thats the idea. That post was pure sarcasm, in case you didn't realize.

16. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    Most drugs are banned already, so it would make more sense if you project was about why some PERSCRIPTION drugs should be banned.

17. Mick Mouse

Mick Mouse Live Free Or Die! Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    55 y/o from Cayo Loco
    what, exactly, are you speaking of when you say "drugs"? are you talking about NSAID's which cause liver damage? How about Chemotherapy, which destroys everything in the hope of killing a few cells (remarkably like George Bush's policy in Iraq!), are you talking about herbal drugs, such as marijuana and opium which have been around for thousands of years and have an extremely varied medical use. Are you speaking of the adrenalin injected into a persons heart after they have coded and brings them back to life? Are you perhaps speaking of substances that society has not found a reasonable method of taxing and therefore wish to deny their use to responsible citizens? how about religion, it was once said that religion was the opiate of the masses. Do we confine ourselve to chemicals or include states of mind (which are often produced by chemicals), do we ban "drugs" which occur naturally in the human body or just the ones that are added to the body after the fact? Your question seems to be designed, not as you say "to help on a project", but rather to sow dissention and confusion.

Or perhaps I am wrong.

Care to comment?

18. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have a question for "busted": What made you decide to post this question on what is essentially a pro-drug discussion forum instead of a place like freevibe or theantidrug.com?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  19. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    You know, it seems to me that every once in a while some putz just likes to stir things up. Why in the f#@K would someone come onto a site such as this and ask a loaded, very generic question that obviously goes against the beliefs of the majority, that they know they are most likely going to get flamed for?

The criminalization of drugs is an atrocity to mankind in general. Seriously I am sick and tired of being told what I can and cannot do with my own body. It's mine, all mine and you can't have it! Prohibition didn't work, the war on drugs didn't work, DARE is a complete failure (actually increasing the amount of use), and still billions are spent to combat drugs.

Therefore, “Busted”, it is my belief that every reason to keep “drugs” (a blanket term that is too broad to have any real meaning) illegal has 10 reasons to decriminalize it.

Hope that helps your “project”

20. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    Yeah man, its natural herb. something like that was made by destiny, because there's no way a plant so effective and sweet was just an accident.