1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Inhaling - Why isn't Ether more popular?

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by billy1nk, Jan 8, 2011.

1. billy1nk

billy1nk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM huffs ether every now and then and has absolutely no idea why people frown upon it so heavily. It's like tripping on LSD, but darker. The hallucinations SWIM gets on ether are crazier than hallucinations SWIM gets on LSD/Mushrooms. SWIM has never had a headache from ether and feels it has never lowered his IQ. SWIM feels a little stupid after huffing for about an hour or two, but after that there are absolutely no after effects. Ether is a great cheap trip. 3 bucks at the gas station and SWIY can huff it as long as you want. The only problems SWIM has experienced with ether is the smell. People complain about that. SWIM would probably rank ether in his top 5 favorite drugs and is wondering why people don't like it. So let's hear it... why do you guys dislike ether?

2. SAnD

SAnD Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I'm not fond "huffing" anything. Mainly the stigma attached to it. I picture a 15 year old huffing out of a paper bag and having spray paint all around their mouth.

3. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    The "ether" you're buying at the gas station for $3 bucks isn't pure ether. It's starter fluid mixed with abunch of other way more dangerous/toxic chemicals. Pure ether is relatively safe but that is not what you are getting. You're getting an ether/heptane (I think it's heptane) mix. It's way more dangerous than real ether. And that "water extraction" on starter fluid doesn't work either.

Pure ether is definitley on my friend's to-do list but he isn't going to huff a can of engine starter fluid.

From wikipedia:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. billy1nk

billy1nk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Yes I know the starting fluid isn't pure, but SWIM has had no negative consequences from huffing it. SWIM once broke into a university chemistry lab... though has no recollection of this... and stole lab grade ether. Ether has given SWIM the some of the craziest hallucinations in his drug use. DMT and IV 2ce currently are the top with 10 hits of LSD and 2 rolls and Ether ranking 3/4.

billy1nk added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Also why do people pour it on cloths and huff like that? SWIM just sprays it into a bottle and inhales the fumes directly from the bottle through his nose. This way you don't get your face covered in the fumes and you don't have to keep pouring it on the cloth.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. phenythylamine

phenythylamine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    would blacking out and stealing ether not be a negative consequence.

and to answer your question, ether isnt popular because its a dissasociative not a psychedelic, dissasociatives are typically not as popular, plus the stigma of huffing, and the fact that the experience is typically described as dirty.

6. tsm554

tsm554 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    SWIM always thought all solvents were fairly dangerous, perhaps pure ether is not that bad but is not without risks, see the following from "A Treatise On Therapeutics, And Pharmacology Or Materia Medica Vol1", by George B. Wood"

This is a very important medico-legal fact. Should the inhalation be persevered in, there is risk of a suspension of the function of the respiratory centre in the medulla oblongata, and of death from asphyxia. Some instances of this kind are on record; but they are extremely rare. With ordinary care, and in an ordinary state of system, death can scarcely result from this cause under the influence of ether.* Indeed, I believe that the ethereal intoxication is much less dangerous even than the alcoholic. But an undue perseverance in its use, in cases which resist the stupefying influence of the ether, is sometimes followed by serious nervous disorders, and injurious if not dangerous sanguineous determinations, which may last for a considerable time

7. Troppo

Troppo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    Wouldn't ether just make most people feel drunk, or actually make them pass out, rather than being psychedelic? Maybe I'm a bit out of date but I always thought it was a general CNS depressant, a bit like alcohol.

8. dala

dala Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Is ether not toxic to the liver?

9. SlightlyBitter

SlightlyBitter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Its actually a dissociative and can produce powerful trips like high doses of nitrous. Only the duration is longer, and levels of ether seem to build in the blood.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  10. Moving Pictures

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    Also, the heptane in the starter fluid is psychoactive on it's own. It's known for causing hallucinations.

Pure ether, from what I've heard, is far less hallucinogenic than the heptane/ether mix. It's supposed to be a strong "drunk" feeling with some dissasociation.

MovingPictures added 12 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

I haven't read anything that says ether is particularly hepatoxic. That said, it certainly isn't healthy for you.

Here is the MSDS on ether

Here is some info on hepatoxicity of various inhalants

Here is the MSDS on heptane. Far more toxic than ethyl-ether but not specificaly hepatoxic.

Chloroform may be what you are thinking of that is so bad for the liver. Here is it's MSDS.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. phenythylamine

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    you know Ive often wondered if SOME inhalants are really as dangerous as they are made out to be, when afoaf was really young and ignorant, he tried huffing gasoline and had an out of this world trip, the strangest thing he has experienced bar none, but would not recommend it, and he wouldent do it again, but he has to ask, are there any studies done that arnt from antidrug studies showing the dangers of recreational inhalants.

12. Moving Pictures

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    ^Some are more dangerous than others. Some are hepatoxic, some neurotoxic, some renaltoxic, etc. Nitrous oxide is relativley safe for example. The main (immediate) dangers from inhants are asphyxiation or CNS depression (depending on which inhalant is used).

TBH, my friend has tried "duster" and iso-butane and they were both (hate to say) pretty enjoyable. Butane is a crazy, crazy trip. You close your eyes and it transports you to some crazy fucking places. My friend said he was sent to the moon and spinning around on the second hand of a gaint clock! No joke, that's the best he can describe it. It was pleasurable, too. Duster (fluroethane?) is pretty much like nitrous except a little more intense. He hasn't done either in a while (couple years) but he is opposed to doing them again.:confused:

There's a thread on butane. Here is the experience thread though no one's posted in it. Since it's so frowned upon, I think most people are hesitant to share their experiences.

Honestly, if you read the iso-butane MSDS here, it really doesn't seem too toxic (in comparison with other inhalants).

here's the butane wiki discussion: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128142&highlight=butane

I want to edit my post to let everyone know I do not condone or endorse the use of inhants or drugs of anykind. I was just stating opinions and material saftey data sheet information. Please don't take my post as evidence that butane or duster or any other inhlant is safe.

13. DanTheFuckinMan

DanTheFuckinMan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    So you can conceal it in your hand.
    My cat lived near a paint factory with drums of toluene in the yard with only a 10 ft fence with 3 row barbed wire to guard it. Not much of an obsticle for a glue head on the hunt. They would use pint bottles and walk around with a rag in their hand so the popo won't mess with em.

14. Troppo

Troppo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    I confess to having an interest in some inhalants, more as alcohol substitutes than for trips, but I have never tried any of them due to purity issues. Perhaps laboratory-grade solvents like ether could be relatively safe, if only used in known quantities, but huffing uncontrolled amounts of unknown solvent mixtures sounds way too dangerous for this swimmer.

15. SlightlyBitter

SlightlyBitter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Ether does not have to inhaled it can be ingested orally as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  16. organic_chemist

organic_chemist Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o Male from U.K.
    Sounds like SWIY has got hold of petroleum ether which is totally different to diethyl ether. Petroleum ether is a mixture of petroleum distillates and should not really be inhaled as some of the constituents (naptha fractions) are thought to have carcinogenic properties.

Diethyl Ether on the other hand is a common laboratory solvent and was once used as an anasthetic. It tends to be unpopular as an inhalant as the hangover is unpleasant, provoking nasal congestion, inflammation of the mucous membranes, headache, sore eyes and a vile taste in the mouth. Added to this diethyl ether can form various peroxides which may cause oxidative damage to body cells.

17. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    One of the major drawbacks with Ether is that it is sweat out for more then a day, making it obvious to anyone nearby that someone got into a fight in a cleaning closet.(Pendell)

phenythylamine's experience is not unusual. If one reads first hand accounts, they are some of the most stunning reports you'll find. It's intriguing with out a doubt, except for the whole

So what is the problem with these substances? Besides being carcinogenic? It's the processing/grading system, it's that these products are NOT pure by any stretch of the imagination, ESPECIALLY PETROL/GASOLINE! They are distilled to meet minimum standards, that they have a guaranteed content of certain chemicals.

From Wiki:
    Consuming fuel isn't good for you. I met a girl this year who has been consuming small amounts of "white gas" on a near daily basis for eight years with ovarian cancer that the doctors have little doubt as to it's origin. She's retiring from professional fire-eating and needing to find new work. This isn't an isolated case in the fire performance community, I've met a number of people who have had all sorts of issues from fuel consumption. For us, it's often related to eating and breathing, but also handling fuel, vapors, smoke, during performances, while traveling with supplies, practice... The stuff is definitely toxic, you do too much fire eating, you'll start retching when you burp up fumes, get sick for a few days, chemical pneumonia is an issue, when fuel gets into your lungs, it stays there, it doesn't cough out easily, you get sick for weeks. REAL SICK.

These things also have massive burn hazard. Fire can jump through fumes, pilot lights, lighters, cigarettes. Fuel spills fast, once it spreads out, the fumes build up fast, explosions are possible in an indoor space. Fuel burns are terrible, a friend of mine was standing in fuel when it caught, got golf ball sized blisters on her hands from trying to put her legs out, I don't want to think what her legs looked like, that was outside, the fire that started the fuel was over 20 feet away. It is possible to inhale burning vapors, a performer near my area had that happen a number of years ago. She ended up in ICU for weeks, bed-ridden for months, rehab... real bad shit.

Fire performers are rightly terrified of breathing in fuel, and rightly so.

18. Moving Pictures

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    No, he is huffing starter fluid (diethyl ether/heptane and some kind of propellant in an aerosol spary). Petroleum ether isn't ever (afaik) used as an aerosol spray.

19. organic_chemist

organic_chemist Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o Male from U.K.
    oops..SWIM should've read the post a bit more thoroughly - apologies:crazy

However, huffing that mixture is still a bad idea, the CO2 in there will cause blood vessel dilation which will allow more of the solvents to get into the bloodstream, and a consequent dip in oxygen supply to the brain.

Remember anaesthatists are fully trained medics and there is a good reason for that, self inducing a state of anasthesia (dissociation) with starter fluid is a seriously risky thing to do...STAY SAFE!

20. phenythylamine

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    ^^ there is a difference between a state of anaesthesia and a state of dissociation, but your right huffing started fluid isnt wise, although Im sure its one hell of an experience.

Pure ether on the other hand isnt really much worse than nitrous (maybe a lil more harsh but nothing compared to some of the crap we put in our bodies.)

while I am not advocating the use of inhalants (they are toxic no doubt about it,) I dont think the subject should be so damn taboo on here, any newbie who starts talking about huffing gets railed on, but really I doubt they arnt any more dangerous than datura or massive amounts of diphenhydramine, or any of the other strange things our swimmers consume in the name of getting high, we should have a facts only discussion and try to come to a consensus about the real dangers of each individual inhalant, we should also stop disouraging conversation about them because people do use them and they should be informed.

sorry for my little rantand getting off topic, I just think there is quite a bit of misinformation that needs to be cleared up.