Experiences - Wild Dagga / Lion's Tail (Leonotis Leonurus) Experiences

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Alfa, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    The Name is Leonotis Leonurus, Also known as wild dagga and lion's tail. Wild dagga leaves were smoked by the Hottentot tribe of Central Africa for a euphoric effect. Wild dagga is one of the most effective legal herbal alternatives to tobacco and cannabis known to man. The main active alkaloid is leonurine. Comparable to cannabis, only milder. In combination with cannabis it is said to have a synergistic effect.

I found this experience on the net:

I received an ounce of Marihuanilla via an internet distributer. The first thing that I did when it arrived was attempt to roll a joint of the material...not an easy task! The little flowers are hard to separate from the stems, and they are loaded with tiny 'thorns'. It took about 5 papers to finally get a poorly rolled cigarette.

And the smoke...not only is does it taste terrible, but it is so harsh that it is nearly impossible to hold it in the lungs! Coughing and gagging, I finally managed to finish the joint. I did notice a very light buzz. It was sort of a 'tired' buzz, comparable to a hit or two of poor quality grass. Smoking the material is simply not worth it.

Since I did not want to throw away the entire bag, I decided to try making a tea of the substance. I used about 1/4 ounce (roughly 7 grams) of material in a perculator with about 6 cups of water. I let the tea brew for about 15 minutes, then let it cool for a while. The tea was surprisingly pleasant to drink, and tasted similar to regular store bought tea. The effects were also a bit more pronounced than when smoking the material. The buzz was still mild, but was accompanied by a feeling of well-being and very subtle visuals.

In conclusion, marijuanilla is absolutly worthless to smoke. Perhaps if it were slow dried of cured it would be better, but I cannot recommend it based on my experience. The tea is definately the better option, but don't expect much. At least the substance is inexpensive ($13-$15 per ounce), so for some it may be worth experimenting with. I will move on to other things.

If anyone can find more info, please post it here.

2. Salivamaybe

Salivamaybe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been looking at alot of sites, I tried some wild dagga foilage though it was hard to smoke, though I think maybe after smoking 1 hit after another for almost 1 hour, he did feel something?? Has anyone ever tried smoking the Flower Tops, or The Wild Dagga Extract? Please let me know if you have , and what it was like for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  3. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Wild dagga causes a nice relaxation effect for swim. The flowers are a pleasant smoke for swim while the foliage is harsh and bad tasting.

Here is another report from the net you guys should read, from the same place that alfa got his.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    (double post, please delete. )

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. thydarkprevails

thydarkprevails Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I had moderate luck with leaves, though he needs to try flowers...

welcome back robo, nice to see the guy that single-handedly taught me about dxm via your informative posts [​IMG]

6. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Unfortunatly the more I smoked the flowers the harder it is to acheive a buzz at all. And can never get a buzz like the first one that really got swim a decent high. Now swim only gets a mild head buzz if anything. To bad. Still will try an extract tho.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  7. panchovilla

panchovilla Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In my dream I got Klip dagga Leonotis nepetifolia flowers yesterday. It is supposedly more potent thanL. leonurus, but have not dreamt the latter for personal comparison. They are orange tubular flowers, and they actually do give a mild mary jane like buzz. In these dreams I have been smoking bowls all day on my brand new pipe, which is yet to behold and bequeath thewonderous billows of heavenly nugg- surely it will not be long. Well my experience, although very limited, with Leonotis seems to show that it does not posses the perception altering abilites as MJ, but it is worth a try for it's mild, pleasant, and very relaxing buzz.

8. Dr_H

Dr_H Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    A friend relayed this experience to me:

I made an extract by soakingan ounce of the leave in about 2 cups of 80% alcohol. After two weeks i evaporated the alcohol on a hotplate (took about 6 hours) and ended up with about 7grams of black sticky tar. I put a blob on some bud and it bubbled and sputtered but was suprisingly a mild smoke. After the 3rd toke i got a slightly warm sedated feeling above and beyond the weed. It was nice but subtle. I have a clean head now maybe I will post back in a few. . .

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, After 6 hits of the tar i got a mild sedated buz, then smoked some mj and there seems to be a synergy. The dagga is subtle on it's own. Perhaps eating it would do the trick. I grew my plant in the NW United State and I guess in Africa it is very hot durring the flowering period and the leaves produce a resin. This did not happen where I lived so my material could be weak.

9. docOD

docOD Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi all,

With swim being a long time cannabis smoker (quit it a time ago, due to negative effects), he was interested in trying some wild dagga.

There are different strains, swim ordered a bag of Leonitis Leonorus.

The bag contained leaves, stems and red flowers.

Swim selected the flowers and rolled up a joint, and the taste was quite
    good and effect was a very pleasant relaxing high. This only
    worked for me with the flower material, the leafs tasted bad and there
    was no effect.

IMO it´s a good legal alternative to MJ but not as strong as the original.

I just wanted to share swim's experience.

10. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I had to smoke about 4 bowls to his self until he was thinking "oh my god im high". (a bowl of the flower burns up quick) And every since that first high off of it they could never get that high again, like in most drugs. So far the best legal substitute he has tried.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  11. joemomma

joemomma Newbie

Reputation Points:
    would 3 grams of the flower be a good start?

12. docOD

docOD Newbie

Reputation Points:
    if you want to smoke it one session, it´s definately too much.

For swim 0,5 -1 g rolled up in a joint is ok.

13. Darthcarlos

Darthcarlos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Smoke taste like shit though.

14. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My note on the taste he sent me:

I personally think the smoke is an acquired test, it in no way resembles shit. I happen to really enjoy the taste of wilddagga flowers.
    This is just what me and several friends thought, you know that wonderful smell of a campfire out in the wilderness? Wilddagga flowers to us resemble that smell, you might say it tastes like campfire smells [​IMG]. The taste might vary between freshness of flowers but these are very fresh and colorful. Around here it earned a nickname of campfire do to the taste.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  15. big_mac

big_mac Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Swim ordered sum, and damn, first of all they didnt send him leonotis leonarus, they sent him leonotis nepetifolia (lions ear) it was all orange flowers. Swim smoked 4 bowls of the stuff, did not like that harsh smoke, and it didnt give him any buzz whatsoever. I tried the 10 resin extract, only a bowl of it though, and it didnt do anything either, he went out for a smoke and got a stronger then average cigarette buzz, but thats about it. is there any potency difference between the 2 strains i metioned above

16. daggaman

daggaman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    Swim ordered an oz. of Leonitus Leonorus (Wild Dagga) awhile back cause his job started doing random piss test. Note: I agree that there is NO substitute nor will there ever be any legal substance/herb that can match up head-to-head with Marijuana. *Look how long weeds been around and they haven't came up with anything yet* Nevertheless, most whom have smoked Wild Dagga usually bought the foilage/dried leaves because they're cheaper. They give a mild effect but nothing worth running out to tell all your friends about. The leaves do also have a gaggy, shitty taste[​IMG]... If ur going to try Dagga, be sure and get the PURE Leonitus Leonorus Peruvian Flower Petals NOT the dried leaves or foilage. The flowers are where the most concentrated active alkaloids are and they've got a sweeter aroma (doesn't taste as bad). The active component responsible for the euphoric effects of this plant is Leonurine. I can't speak for too many other legal herbs but I can say the Dagga works for swim. Anyway, if anyone has any questions bout anything-Later- [​IMG]

17. Smarthead

Smarthead Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Leonotis leonurus (L.) R.Br.
    Wild Dagga / Lion's Ear (E), Wildedagga / Duiwelstabak (Afr), Imvovo (X),
    Family : Lamiaceae (Mint Family)

Derivation of Name : Leonotis = from the Greek leon meaning lion and otis meaning ear, alluding to the resemblance of the corolla to a lion's ear. leonurus = lion-coloured.

The wild dagga is a robust shrub which grows up to 2-3m tall and 1.5m wide. It is common and widespread throughout South Africa and grows amongst rocks in grassland.

Stems are velvety and woody at the base. The leaves are long, narrow, rough above, velvety below, with serrate edges. The wild dagga flowers profusely in autumn with its characteristic bright orange flowers carried in compact clusters in whorls along the flower stalk. Apricot and creamy white flowered forms are also found.

This is an excellent plant for attracting wildlife to your garden as the flowers profuse copious nectar which attracts birds, bees and butterflies. The wild dagga is fast growing and is frost hardy. It should be well watered in summer but does not require much water in the winter months. It is very easy to grow but will do best in well drained loamy soils with plenty of compost added. Plants should be cut right back at the end of winter. Propagate from seed, cuttings or by dividing up large clumps.

The wild dagga is widely used in traditional medicine to treat fevers, headaches, coughs, dysentery and many other conditions. It is also used as a remedy for snake bite and as a charm to keep snakes away.

Attached Files:

18. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    My been planning too to order some legal herbs from net. This one seemed quite interesting, and effective too, compared to others. The site also has quite cheap MG/Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds, must have too.

19. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    A story as relayed to me by a friend:

I used my "bubble hash" filter bags to make an extract of Wild Dagga. I used a mix of fresh leaves and flowers, approx 250 gram.

All I got was about 2 gram of an orange crumbly / fluffy substance which is not sticky enough to press into hash.

Well I have tried it several times now and it is definetly psychoactive. One cone smoked produces a nice mild high lasting about 20 mins. Definetly has some similar effects as weed, but far milder. Very relaxing / calming, but still quite social, a good smoke for going out on the town. Nice tasting too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Follow up -

I have several plants of both wild dagga (Leonotis leonurus) and klip dagga (Leonotis nepetifolia). Marihuanilla (Leonotis sibericus) is a close relative, although the chemical structure varies somewhat between the 3 species.

Most ethnobotanical vendors seem to mention 'Klip Dagga' as being the strongest variety.
    I have noticed 'Klip Dagga' to grow crappier looking flowers which do not dry as crisp as the (Leonotis leonurus) flowers do. I believe this is due to the 'Klip Dagga' flowers containing more resin / sticky pollen / nectar than the 'Wild Dagga', and this could explain the more potent effects. The 'Klip Dagga' flowers are also a bastard to pick being the prickliest variety.

Upon smoking 1 joint of 'Klip Dagga' flowers last night I felt a nice mild high, which was definetly stronger than placebo. I hate to say it, but this did feel very similar to a low quality weed buzz that Swim once described to me. The main diffrences, apart from being generally far milder than the worlds favourite herb were that the dagga had stronger visual effects (colours brighter, mild dollshouse effect, increased awareness of nature in a 3D like way), less creative thought patterns (the Dagga seems to be more of a mental sedative than stimulant - no surge of wonderfull ideas here).
    I would rate the body buzz as very similar to weed.

I will mention here that I dried this lot of flowers still attached to thespikey pod, perhaps this method could draw more resins etc into the flowers while it drys???

It has been mentioned that Wild Dagga may be addictive in a similar way to tobacco. Perhaps the high could be more pronounced to an addicted person?, the satifying of a psysical craving may provide a high in itself.

Cannabis has been cultivated for a long time, and methods of harvesting, curing and consumption have been perfected over many years. Perhaps with the right potent strains, growing conditions (under lights / stress factors / fertilizers etc), harvesting (time of day when alkaloids are highest etc), curing , and finally consumption method this species could offer more potential.

1. 4/5,
      Nice reports on the water extraction of L. leonurus and the effect of smoked L. nepetifolia.
      May 12, 2011
  20. QGdoxl

QGdoxl Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o from Canada
    Are there any more reports of oral ingestion? Swim seems to have come across 1g of 25x resin extract and so far have only added a small amount in with some weed and it seems to give it a bit of an extra kick but this is only after about 1/2 a bowl. I'll post back later