wild lettuce and yams

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by dragonmage, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dragonmage

dragonmage Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    swim knows wild lettuce can be extracted in alcohol but what about wild yams?I want to try a 10 gram lettuce and 10 gram yam extraction onto a gram of MJ. good idea or not? the wild lettuce is so cheap i might do a tannin and naptha wash and make it as pure as swim can, see what it does.I will follow up on what happens,I should have his findings by monday.making this my weekend project.have 120 grams of lettuce and 30 grams of yams to work with.wild yams acts like a tranquilizer and wild lettuce has opium like alkaloids but not as powerful as opium.but opium is 12 percent alkaloids on average so with a potent enough extract in theory it should produce some wicked extract.am i going down a dead end with wild lettuce and yams? :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy :crazy

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't know about yams, but I do know about Lactucarium - Lettuce Opium derived from Lactuca Virosa. Wild Lettuce. Used as a sedative when real opium is in short supply, it does not contain "opium-like alkaloids." It contains hyosine and hyoscyamine. These are tropine alkaloids which are closely related to atropine and scopolamine, which are found in such plants as Belladonna and Jimson Weed. Small amounts may produce a dreamy, sedative effect. But larger amounts are outright poisonous and can cause complete delirium and, if enough is taken, death. Atropos was one of the four fates of the antiquities for good reason. The stuff has been known as a poison for thousands of years.

Be careful. Just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it's harmless.

3. dragonmage

dragonmage Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    would a 20 extract of opium lettuce be dangerous in your opinion?

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm not sure what concentration of alkaloids you are dealing with. Search for information on hyosine and hyoscyamine ie: LD50. Toxicity. So forth. These are dangerous delerients. Not suggested.

5. CrystalDextro

CrystalDextro Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What is the species of yam you are talking about. Ethnogenic chemicals are one of the best things for someone like me in the United States because I have no money or ability to ship any obvious chemically gifted plants to extract.

6. dragonmage

dragonmage Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    dioscorea dregeana (wild yams) quote from the

[sources discussion is not allowed outside the sources forum]

home page "potent narcotic used to sedate violent,psychotic patients'.used as an analgesic,used to treat epilepsy,hysteria,insomnia,acute psychosis.this sounds like a substance for me.but i'm sure nagognog2 will shatter and destroy my dreams like with wild lettuce :( thanks nagognog2.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2006
  7. dragonmage

dragonmage Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    my package just arrived,i don't care what anyone says,the wild lettuce is talking to me in a very loving voice make a potent 40 gram cup of brew out of me please.i'm not against the law,i love you,i want to help you.what can i do but lisen to the lettuce,it did say please.

i wish i could pull my brain out,bend him over my knee,and give him a good spanking.

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Are you certain it was used to treat those conditions? Or was it used to cause those conditions? Sounds like datura-poisoning to me! LOL!

9. dragonmage

dragonmage Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    dioscorea dregeana:eek:ccurs mainly in kwazulu,natal is a zulu remedy for epilepsy,hysteria,insomnia,acute psychosis.in earlier times used as general anaesthetic to manipulate and stabilise fractures of limbs by bonesetters.generally taken orally,traditionally about 2 to 5 grams results in sleep within 30 minutes.sounds like a tranquilizer,but anyways i drank a 20g brew of wild lettuce.i came away from the experiance thinking wild in wild lettuce is an understatement a more fitting name is demon lettuce.i couldn't move,it was like waking up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night and not being able to move.my mind was filled with carnage and dreadful terror,in my opinion wild lettuce is an abomination of the plant world.but with a name like wild lettuce it sounds harmless enough.

10. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    hyosine and hyoscyamine

Nagognog2, I have never heard of Wild Lettuce containing any Tropane alkaloids. A websearch turns up no evidence of this. Could you please post a reference to this?

I was under the impression that the effects of wild lettuce were from lactucine. Tropane alkaloids are usually found in the Nightshade family. Wild Lettuce is not that diffrent in chemical structure than the common lettuce, which also has mild sedative effects.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  11. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    According to my Merck Index, hyoscyamine is a constituent. Ref. 5223. Lactucarium - "German." "Lettuce Opium." Have a look. I've read elsewhere that hyoscine is also present.

12. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    In old literature (Giftpflänze, Frohne & Pfänder 1983) there have been notes of a hyoscamine-like alkaloid present in Lactusa virosa, but this has never been proved. New studies claim this is not present.

All parts of Wild Lettuce (lactuca virosa), but most of all the milk-juice, contain the sedative acting sesquiterpenelacton-bitter-substance (guaianolide) lactucine(C15H16O5) and its p-hydroxyphenyl-'vinegar'acid-ester: lactupicrine (=latucopicrine). (hope I translated the 'bitter-substance' and 'vinegar-acid' right)
    The sesquiterpenelacton level is maximal 3.5% in the milk-juice. Further Wild Lettuce contains triterpene-alcohols (lactucerol), a melampolglycoside (lactuside A), guaianolide (11Beta,13-dihydrolactucerine, 8-deoxylactucine, glycoside, jaquineline and zaluzanine-derivates.

Sources:
    National institute of public health and the environment of the Netherlands. RIVM "smartshops, overview of products, claimed effect and their medical-toxicological relevance." 1999

Poison index information system

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I see that. The exact same wording is used in older Merck index's. It seems as if the data has simply been ¨reproduced from older issues. I wonder what research they base that on.

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Good question. I have no clue where they pull all their data out of. Which probably explains why I keep buying them!

If anyone out there is interested in the alpha - omega of all chemistry books, check out The Merck Index - Merck & Co. Inc. - Rahway, NJ USA No arrogant and pompous chemist should be without one. Makes a dandy paperweight also!