1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences - Wild Opium Lettuce

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by HoneyCrunch, Jul 21, 2008.

1. HoneyCrunch

HoneyCrunch Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ok, now don't laugh cause I'm not actually talking about smoking lettuce =)
    I've seen the B.S. sites that try to sell wild lettuce as an herbal smoke. But over the weekend while I was hiking I found some and harvested it (and yes I am sure of it's identity). I found some info on herbhound about drying out the latex and smoking it. I have some drying now and while I'm waiting, I was wondering if anyone here has tried it? I'm hoping for opinions from ppl who have actually smoked O before so I can get a comparison view.
    If not, I'll post my experience report when it dries.

2. ElectroStep

ElectroStep Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    The tea is meant to work, it's very mild.

I've not heard of people smoking the latex.

3. Stephenwolf

Stephenwolf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Unknown people have tried smoking it before, had an extract of the material and smoked it through a can, it produced a mild (nearly placebo but maybe not) buzz, no euphoria, not much of anything, had a semisweet/sour taste, kinda pleasant. Believe it COULD work if lots was smoked very rapidly but one shouldn't expect much if anything from it.

4. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Nobody recently read in a book on herbal and medicinal brewing that the latex can be gathered thusly: Find a patch of 20 or so plants between 3-4 feet tall. Cut the top 1/2inch off all the plants and wait for the latex to stop flowing, gather it. Repeat every half inch till you're down to the lat stop getting latex. Expect 2-3 grams of sap per plant. L. virosa and L. serriola have the strongest sap.

Guess there are worse ways to spend a day.

5. urbanmasters

urbanmasters Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i dont know if wild opium and wild opium lettuce are different but wild opium is very relaxing smoked. i have not tryed the tea thought.

6. 3333

3333 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Wild opium (also called wild opium lettuce, opium lettuce, wild lettuce, bitter lettuce, L. Virosa) is not an opium or an opiate (but has similar effects i.e. painkilling, but won't get you addicted), it is an ethnobotanical. It is most commonly smoked or filtered into a tea. Swim has tried it in both tea and smoking, and felt mild but very noticeable effects for both (especially smoking it).

Effects are mild for most, but be warned that increased dosage of this could produce much stronger, drunk like states. Most people do about a few grams of it.

However most people see it as mild, but slightly euphoric.

7. samuraigecko

samuraigecko

Reputation Points:
    Wild lettuce Opium . . . . .

It contains alkaloids that are in a separate group to, but have similar effects of (in concentrated dosages), actual Opium.

They are NOT, however, Opiate Alkaloids. They are a separate class of alkaloids. Remember that Codeine and Morphine are only known to come from Papaver Somniferum alone, no other known plant to date produces these alkaloids.

It has no alkaloids responsible for Analgesia (painkilling), its properties lie in its sedative effects, which are considered to be mild but close to what Opium itself feels like and thus gaining its common name from Opium.

Peace :)

8. SomniphileXII

SomniphileXII Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM grows Lactuca Virosa in his garden and uses it as a medicinal drug as he jumps between Opium and Lorazepam (primarily, however, he also uses other ethnobotanicals and psychoactives in general) for agoraphobia, related panic and anxiety issues as well as insomnia.
    SWIM harvests the latex of the L. Virosa, dries it in a spoon often times, or just a knife, and vaporizes it like he does Opium. This produces some alright results though not "recreational" results in comparison to the more potent drugs.
    He also collects leaves and stems after the plant is used up and smokes them in a pipe under tobacco or makes a cold tea. These leaves and stems also seems to reduce anxiety and insomnia considerably but the nausea from his agoraphobia is still present, however, lowered considerably.
    All in all: SWIM finds that L. Virosa works well for him specifically medicinally.

Ah, almost forgot: L. Virosa makes a lovely salad that also lowers his symptoms! =]

9. Pino

Pino Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have read the following report in my newspaper:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  10. spunkymunky

spunkymunky Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    A guy said that this stuff is really good for getting to sleep after buzzing hard on stimulants - they took a bag of wild lettuce leaf to a festival a few years back (just had it kicking around and thought why not) and after taking some ecstacy / mdma and a little k and buzzing for hours discovered that this was the perfect way to relax and drift off at the end of the night. Rather than smoking weed, which sometimes just doesn't seem to do enough to induce sleep in these situations, smoke lots of wild lettuce i.e. roll four or five big pure joints between two or three people or keep loading a bong until the desired effect is achieved - it really helped this guy and his girlfriend fall asleep. This guy introduced some of his friends to it in similar situations - i.e. end of a hard night of stimulant use, and they have found it works too. Probably better for the brain than most other sleeping remedies people take I guess!

Be interesting to see if anyone else thinks the same...