Will i have withdrawals after a single heavy(?) 4 days of use(clonazepam)?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by lokodiis, Mar 5, 2019.

1. lokodiis

lokodiis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Brazil
    Part 1:
    So, a little backstory first. I'm very interested in drugs since chilhood. My favorite one(though it's a relationship of love and hate) is Cannabis. I've been consuming it almostly daily, multiple times a day, for the last 8 years.
    I also have a love for psychedelics, my first dosage a few years back was 350mcg of LSD. I still use them from time to time, but with longer intervals. I don't mean to be arrogant, but I also believe I have some kind of resistance to drugs. I've seen friends getting desperate on 2grams of mushrooms, but I have taken 9g, been through hell and back and still mentally intact.

Part 2:
    About a year ago I was diagnosed with depression and put on Lexapro 20mg. It helped for while, still kinda helps but not too much, so he put me on Whellbutrin 150mg and I gotta say I've been feeling fine. I started tapering Lexapro today, my plan is to reduce 2.5mg every week, ending up free from it after 8 weeks.

Part 3:
    Maybe part 1 and 2 don't make much sense, but I felt the need to add some context. Well, a couple of day ago(28/feb) I got my hands on 4 boxes(120 pills) of clonazepam 2mg. Since them one box is gone, second box still has 24 pills, which means I consumed 36 pills(or 72mg) in 4 days.
    This seems clearly to be a slippery slope and I was too arrogant to believe all the warnings over the internet. Therefore I tightly packed my last 2 box and am keeping the remaining 24 from the second box on my medicine cabinet in case it become necessary.
    I don't want to abuse this stuff anymore.
    Just as an example, last night from 2AM to 9AM I consumed 22mg of clonazepam along with a bottle of wine.

Part 4:
    Now I'm in complete doubt. Despite the short time term I've used them, the doses seemed quite large.
    How should I proceed now? Simply stop taking them? Will I have potentially fatal withdrawals? Or even withdrawals at all due to the short frame?
    Should I taper them off? I don't like this idea because it makes me feel like I'll just be getting more dependant on it.
    What should I be looking for in case I'm having a lethal withdrawal? Drop a pill? Go to a hospital(hard since no health plan nor decent public hospital around).
    What should be my plan to get rid of this stuff?

I really appreciate those who have taken their time to read and reply to this.
    Thanks.

2. curious_38

curious_38 The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from Ohio
    What you have done is dangerous. Withdrawals is the least of your concerns. Please be mindful that drugs are dangerous, if you are dead, there is no such thing as withdrawals.

Why on earth did you take that much clonazepam! Were you trying to kill yourself? What was the plan? Soooooo many questions.

3. Anna Werner

Anna Werner Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from Wisconsin
    With taking such large doses of Clonazepam, I am surprised you didn't just go to sleep. With mixing benzodiazepines and alcohol, you are certainly going to end up dead. That had killed so many people from respiratory failure. Please stop taking then completely and immediately. You are walking a very thin line between life and death with what you're doing. Using benzodiazepines while drinking doubles the effects of the alcohol. Each drink has the potency of two. You're taking a huge risk and it is not worth it. I have taken prescribed benzos for 20 years. You are not going to be hurt stopping them after 4 days. You will be hurt continuing what you are doing.

4. lokodiis

lokodiis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Brazil
    Thanks for the attention, guys.

I'm pretty aware they're dangerous, especially benzos. However I was not really afraid of an overdose, the LD50 for Clonazepam in rats is 4000mg/kg, I'm quite far from it(also aware alcohol changes things quite a bit).
    About why did I do it? Guess I'm just a junkie, probably. I was just chasing the high, took 4mg, felt fine, starting drinking some wine, felt even more fine, took some more and once I saw, eleven pills were gone. I do seem to have a tedency to start popping them like candy once I'm start getting high.
    Definitely not trying to kill myself. I also noticed the maximum daily dosage is 20mg, so I wasn't too far from.

Thanks for the warning, Anna, I'm not taking them with alcohol anymore.
    Do you have any info on withdrawals? If they happen, how should I be prepared for them? I live alone, if I feel like I'm starting to have a seizure, should I pop a pill? Is there enough time for it to be digested and help? My health plan is shit, public health is shit(I might as well die waiting 4 hours in the waiting room).

5. Anna Werner

Anna Werner Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from Wisconsin
    Its not exact, but you usually develop a tolerance around 6 months. It also depends on how many milligrams you are on. (.5 - 2mg each pill). The lower dose .5 mgs, you may begin to develop a tolerance at 6 months. Also I would definitely say Klonopin is not as strong as ativan or Xanax, but its has a much longer half-life. It stays in your system 3 times as long. Withdrawal that I have experienced is anxiety, agitation, and sensitivity to light and sound. Mind you, I have now taken benzodiazepines for 20 years. Be aware that the only 2 substances that can kill you from the withdrawal process is alcohol and benzodiazepines, so don't get addicted to another substance that you don't want to have quite a recovery from quitting. It's quite a process and I have had friends that have taken months to be completely off of the benzos. .

6. FlyingHigher

FlyingHigher Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    This is definitely a slippery slope and one you want to get off of, as quickly as you can. I don't know what possessed you to suddenly abuse benzodiazepines, but they really are not worth it. They're a great medical tool in the right doses, but the high doses you've consumed are full-on abuse.

Mixing benzodiazepines with alcohol can be fatal even at lower doses. Blackout followed by coma is very possible at these doses, and it only takes a little alcohol mixed in to stop your breathing.

Because of the short duration of use, tolerance is not likely to be a major issue. Acute withdrawal is possible and can be dangerous - but because it has a longer half-life it will leave your system more slowly and give your brain more of a chance to adjust back to normal (e.g. express more GABA-A allosteric receptors than have been internalised/deactivated by the high concentrations of the drug).

If you have the self control, then I would advise taking a small dose (e.g. regular starting dose of 0.5mg) per day, just to ease any adjustment and ensure the blood levels don't drop too quickly and increase seizure risk. During the next week, avoid any drugs that lower the seizure threshold. If they're for a medical purpose, use them as directed by medical literature (drugs.com has a helpful guide for medical dosages).

If you don't have the self control, have someone else you trust hold on to the tablets, and give them to you as you need them. This person should be someone who doesn't abuse benzos and won't use the tablets themselves.

In short - please don't do this again. Despite the admirable harm-reduction efforts of this forum, we've seen or read about enough deaths; or in the luckier cases heard the recovery stories from severely addicted members.

7. reef88

reef88 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Absolutely. First of all, how many milligrams are you taking daily currently? or are you taking random amounts? It was a good idea you saved those two boxes, that's your life right there. Stop one day and see how you feel, always have some clonazepam with you just in case, 4 days is practically nothing, but you can tolerate 22mg, that's some heavy shit.

I'm currently going through the same experience only I've already started the taper and I'm on 6-8mg a day, I smoke weed and it helps, I don't have any withdrawals but I'm not getting much from the Clonazepam either. I reached doses not as high as 22mg, that's insane, but I did get to 16mg a day something like that, which is completely stupid, you shouldn't go above 4mg daily. Anyway, you got the Ashton Manual to make the taper, although it uses Diazepam I think, you can just lower the doses but you would have to have a guide to tell you how much to reduce and when, I'm open to help since I've been through this for a while.

You're in a dangerous situation right now, if you can take 22mg that means you have a hell of a tolerance and probably physical dependence, and benzodiazepine withdrawal can be fatal, watch out for elevated heart rate, high blood pressure, headaches, and if you start having involuntary movements of any kind it means you really need to take a dose you might start convulsing. Good thing is it hasn't been long use which is great news, but being able to tolerate 22mg after 4 days, that just doesn't add up to me.

Good luck bro, lol.

PS: You've gotten into some serious shit. You need to stop.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM
  8. ladywolf2012

ladywolf2012 Got diamonds in the soles of my shoes! Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    68 y/o from Foothills of Arizona
    HI, Just a short additional bit of important information.
    Anna Werner said the following above :
    There exists another class of drugs that can kill you either from mixing them with substances like alcohol, or withdrawing abruptly. That would be the barbiturates, like phenobarbital. They are not commonly prescribed anymore, but they are deadly serious drugs.

Furthermore, it is also impossible to say accurately that there are no research chemicals which have the potential to kill you upon quitting, or mixing them with other bad drugs. So watch out for the kind of statements that you make in here. There could literally be fifty little-known drugs the withdrawal from which would have the potential to kill you.

Yes, alcohol and benzodiazepines are the "famous" combinations that can induce seizures, other disturbances, and possible death. But they are not the only ones.