1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences - Will kratom work while on suboxone?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by malsat, Mar 25, 2010.

1. malsat

malsat Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I would have assumed that the opiate-esque effects of kratom would be blocked completely by suboxone, but I just came across a thread in which Ilsa claimed that mitragynine has a higher mu affinity than buprenorphine, which has piqued my natural curiosity.

So in light of this I've posted this thread looking for people to document any experience they may have with use of kratom while on buprenorphine maintenance. If you've used kratom while on bupe, did you enjoy it, and did you manage to obtain any opiod effects from it? Even if you didn't get any discernible opiod effects, was it still an enjoyable and worthwhile experience?

Please refrain from posting any "it won't work because.." comments.... I'm just looking for personal experiences! ;)

Cheers!

2. baleoda

baleoda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    as someone who takes subutex, swim was wondering the same thing. well he just ordered an ounce so next week or so he should be able to answer your question.

3. baleoda

baleoda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    kratom works while on buprenorphine. swim just recieved an ounce of powered thai kratom and got a nice buzz. but swim is n subutex (no naloxone) so he isn't positive if it will work while on suboxone.

4. malsat

malsat Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    What dose did you take?

A friend of mine who's taken kratom has told me that a low dose is enjoyable but that a low dose doesn't really 'hit' the opiod receptors, whereas a higher dose (he says with the premium indo ((low quality)) that he used ((he wasn't on suboxone)) a dose of 2-10g was a low dose while a dose of 10-20g was a high dose) does 'hit' the opiod receptors and provides a very different experience.

Did you use a low or a high dose?

Cheers :)

5. baleoda

baleoda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim took about 14 grams

6. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Naloxone is not orally active. It is added to Suboxone to prevent opiate addicts from attempting to crush the pills and use them in a different manner than intended. If kratom works while on buprenorphine, there is no reason to believe kratom would not work on Suboxone.

EDIT: Wanted to be more precise here. Naloxone is not psychoactive when taken orally.

7. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i think it would be better to say "naxolone in subuoxone is not active at suficient levels to cause major receptor antagonism as is seen in higher oral dosages or IV injections" perhaps.

8. baleoda

baleoda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    second experience with kratom (high opiate tolerance and bupe user)

the first time swim tried kratom it was a resin extract. it didn't work on swim or any of his friends. luckily, swim's interest in kratom recently reappeared, and he decided to order an ounce of thai powder. swim is very happy with the results. he ate half of the bag the first time because of his massive tolerance to opiates and the fact that he is on subutex. well it was a good dose because swim felt the effects fine. he just took the last of the bag (mixed with yogurt) and is ready to feel it again. kratom is the shit! except it tastes like shit. swim used the search engine, and found it wasn't good to smoke. oh also swim tried to bomb about 2 grams in a paper towel. well he got choked and had to cough it up. lol. swim also read on this forum the tea tastes bad. anyway swim ordered another ounce (in capsules this time) plus an ounce of amanita muscaria powder and some baby woodrose seeds. next time swim is going to lay off the bupe a few days for the next kratom dosage to see if the effects are more powerful when no subutex is in his system.

9. JaWill88

JaWill88

Reputation Points:
    this is very interesting to swim. so appearantly it has an higher affinaty than buprenorphine? thats crazy (in a good way lol). but i'm suprised that after taking the kratom and then taking subutex aftewards you wouldn't get sick or something like with all other opioids. if anyone can shed some more light, please do. swim is on subutex and is planning on using it to get off buprenorphine. he is buying 1,000 grams in a week or so.

10. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Swiy means using kratom to get off buprenorphine? Because Subutex is buprenorphine. Subutex is the brand name, a marketing name. The name of the drug, the chemical itself, is buprenorphine.

11. Agent Psycho

Agent Psycho Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been wondering the same thing for sometime now. Im on 6-8mgs of suboxone tablet form a day roughly. So i ordered a QP of Red Thai and packed that into capsules that weigh out to .5g's each roughly. I layed off the subs a bit the last few days as much as i could and took 2grams of kratom to test the waters about 1 hr ago with no effects at all. I will check back in once i have done some more research if you know what i mean.

12. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Agent,

2 grams is way too low of a dose for someone in your situation. I would start out with 5 grams and if no effects are achieved, try up to 8 grams if necessary. If you are getting nothing from 8 grams, then either your kratom is bad, or you are just not going to get much from it due to opiate tolerance or personal biochemistry.

13. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    I agree.
    2 grams MIGHT be an ok dose for someone with no tolerance to opiates and if the kratom is potent but 5 grams would be a much better starting point.

14. Zopana

Zopana Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can vouch kratom works while on suboxone. May take 6 grams and up but you will feel it if it's at least decent quality kratom of course..