1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - Will lorazepam go bad? if so how long and what does it do after?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by NoRehab, Apr 27, 2012.

1. NoRehab

NoRehab Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    well, was searching around my shed for some weed when i found a bottle of lorazepam 1mg's only a few left but interested in taking them, the date on them says they were prescribed , November 23 2001?
    what will happen if i pop a few of these?

2. Aize254-20

Aize254-20 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From swim's experience, most pharmaceuticals last way past their experation date assuming they were stored in a cool, dry place. I have drank 15 year old promethazine/codeine cough syrup with no ill effects.

3. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Based on a quick literature search, I didn't find any evidence that lorazepam breaks down to anything toxic. If the tablets were in a shed anywhere south of the arctic circle, they've probably degraded completely, but it wouldn't hurt to try them. With most (not all!) expired drugs, the worst that'll happen is they won't work.

4. williamsnick606

williamsnick606 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    if they dont have mold or anything nasty on them then go ahead. theres only one way to find out if they're any good

5. boulder275

boulder275 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Some prescriptions can actually become toxic after their expiration date due to the degradation of the chemicals. I would make sure that they don't look or smell any different because they can harbor bacteria, especially if they were kept in a warm and/or moist environment.

Having provided that disclaimer I can say that most medication are still very effective after their expiration date, especially those in hard pill form. While their effectiveness will dwindle over time, they may still contain some of the active ingredient.

Be safe.