Question - Will magic mushrooms make my psychosis come back on?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Vision Of Colour, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Vision Of Colour

Vision Of Colour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from England
    Hi all I suffer from Psychosis but I've been treated and get injected with the drug Paliperidone every 3 months the question I plan to do magic mushrooms or I've been thinking about it I know not the best thing to do but I have heard good things about treatment for depression and other illnesses but will this affect my mental health in the future if I do take them.

I know they say not to smoke weed but I do daily and it doesn't affect me personally I know it's let's say controversial for doctors in both drugs magic mushrooms and cannabis but I need some advice. I know both drugs are different and can affect you different but has anyone been diagnosed with genetic psychosis and still tripped I would like to know.

Also, antipsychotics and Psilocybe doesn't mix and can affect the trip and I'm on 3 month depot injection which is slow release the last time I had an injection was a month and a bit ago but apparently it fully lasts a month before slowly decreasing. How much do you think will affect the trip has anyone done this before, thanks in advance for your help.

2. Archangel Zadkiel

Archangel Zadkiel The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you have a history of schizophrenia and/or suffer from psychosis, it is very dangerous to take psychedelic drugs like magic mushrooms. They can cause someone with prexisting conditions like schizophrenia/psychosis, to suffer from severe paranoia and psychosis. This is really dangerous for someone with pre existing mental illness. Psychedelic mushrooms and other psychedelic drugs are the worst types of drugs for someone that suffers from psychosis. Please rethink this idea. The research that is being done with psychedelic mushrooms are related to depression and anxiety, NOT schizophrenia or psychosis, that I know of?

Antipsychotic drugs are used to reverse the drug induced psychosis of hallucinogens. Fortunately, you take monthly shots of antipsychotics, paliperidone in your case, and it should be in your system enough to block the effects of magic mushrooms. PLEASE continue your treatment and do not stop your treatment for psychosis, as it will exponentially increase your chances of psychosis if you decide to take psychedelic drugs like mushrooms. You are likely to have rebound psychosis if you suddenly stop your antipsychotic.

Please talk to your doctor before discontinuing your medication.

I hope you listen to me.
    Zadkiel

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  3. Vision Of Colour

Vision Of Colour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from England
    Thanks Archangel Zadkiel for the reply. I know this might sound dumb but I smoke weed every day and this doesn't affect me like no sign of paranoia or voices only synthetic weed which I stay away from. I'm kind of going on a limb that if they say weed is bad for you which for me isn't personally for me it's not but if they say weed is bad for you then what else can I do they say I really shouldn't. I do appreciate and trust your advice and I will keep all this in mind if I do take them which isn't going to be a lot. I don't plan to discontinue my meds as it keeps me away from them voices anyway as you pointed out it will make me readmit. You have given me something to think about and I will tread lightly if I do take them I'm unsure at this moment of time. cheers :)

4. Smeg

Smeg Opiates & Opioids Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    58 y/o from U.K.
  5. Vision Of Colour

Vision Of Colour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from England
    Hi thank you for your help :)

6. aemetha

aemetha Sexy Potato Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from New Zealand
    I'm not the best authority on the subject of mushrooms. My understanding is that the dose for treatment with depression is significantly lower than the recreational dose though. I would not recommend a recreational dose of mushrooms for anyone who is vulnerable to delusional thinking as there is obviously the potential for an interaction. I'd like to add @Shampoo and @Phungushead to those whom @Smeg has tagged for comment here, as their expertise on this subject is far more comprehensive than my own.

7. jazzyj9

jazzyj9 Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There was one study I found referenced that says there's no link between psychedelics and psychosis https://drugs-forum.com/studies/no-link-found-between-psychedelics-and-psychosis.9480/. But, I have not thoroughly explored the study referenced here and also don't know if this has been studied in large populations.

For a person who has active psychosis, common sense dictates (to me anyway) to avoid things that might exacerbate it. As far as someone "prone to psychosis" that is kind of a nebulous definition in my opinion.

I had a very severe psychotic reaction to meth years ago, but do tolerate psychedelics very well, even trip doses. In fact, I prefer trip doses to small doses for my depression. But, I haven't had any psychotic symptoms for about 20 years, so I think my brain is pretty much back to its "normal" depressed set point, prior to the assault caused by meth use. Another thing to consider is that the med you take may counteract the effect of the shrooms.

You could try a very small dose, one that wouldn't cause a trip and see if it helps you. I would ask your doctor first though what they think.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2019
  8. Vision Of Colour

Vision Of Colour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from England
    Hi, JazzyJ9 yeah I saw that study but still not clear or nothing was researched on genetic psychosis, schizophrenia and bipolar such disorders they need more research on that. It's interesting that it was the meth that caused it but not the psychedelics but can I ask do you suffer from mental illness or was it just the meth reaction I have heard that meth psychosis is a side effect of meth and I don't know how long it lasts but I have seen videos and can see it's quite damaging to you, no meth for me thanks! Also thanks for chipping in with your opinion. :)

9. jazzyj9

jazzyj9 Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My most recent diagnosis is severe treatment resistant major depression. My doctors think all of the symptoms I had was due to meth except that one. They removed bipolar as a diagnosis. My family history has depression and possibly bipolar disorder. No schizophrenia in my family history.

10. Vision Of Colour

Vision Of Colour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from England
    Thanks for sharing that with me I do value your opinion :)

11. Archangel Zadkiel

Archangel Zadkiel The Wizard of the Creek Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from Cincinnati, Ohio
    This seems to be what the article @jazzyj9 refrenced. It disproves the deliberate spread of fear mongering, and a false campaign that the government has used to frighten people from using LSD and other psychedelics that was propagated around the 1960's. In this article, it largely dispells the "myths" about psychedelic drugs as a causation of psychosis.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health: Estimates of the international prevalence of schizophrenia among non-institutionalized persons is 0.33% to 0.75%.
    And across that use household-based survey samples, clinical diagnostic interviews, and medical records, estimates of the prevalence of schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders in the U.S. range between 0.25% and 0.64%.

If psychosis symptoms continue to persist after a person stops using psychedelic drugs like LSD and magic mushrooms, it often indicates that they have an underlying psychotic disorder. According to this article, many people that used psychedelics and have psychotic disorders for the rest of their lives will blame it on their use of psychedelics.

This doesn't mean that there isn't any connection from psychedelics (like LSD and shrooms,) and psychosis. A range of short-term altered mental states induced by medical conditions, substances, sleep deprivation or extreme stress can be classified as psychosis, including LSD intoxication.

I myself, want to experience hallucinations, both auditory and visual (that clinically can be called psychosis) when I take LSD or mushrooms. That's what makes them fun for me. This however, is totally different from bad trips (which no one wants,) and completely different than schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. Bad trips will never result in a permanent psychotic disorder, but may lead to lasting trauma for some.

I am intrigued by the therapeutic treatments of magic mushrooms for depression and anxiety. They, so far, have shown some promising results for patients that have not had adequate results from traditional treatments. I can see some real progress in the treatment of depression and anxiety with psychedelic mushrooms along with cognitive behavioral therapy, interpersonal therapy, and psychodynamic therapy.

Zadkiel

*edit* This entire post is in response to the article @jazzyj9 posted: https://drugs-forum.com/studies/no-link-found-between-psychedelics-and-psychosis.9480/

Sorry if there was any confusion.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  12. Vision Of Colour

Vision Of Colour Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from England
    I see so there ain't no link between the two then and that's not to say those people weren't abusing it for those underlined conditions to trigger it off. Everyone's definition of psychosis is different mine is losing the plot I don't mind the hallucinations and auditory effect it's the fear and panic I don't like. And yes it's interesting the whole research behind depressions, anxiety, PTSD, and addiction. I've been looking it up in my quest to find more information about psychosis and found it very interesting.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 21, 2019 ---
    Sorry, what I meant is there isn't much study on it to know?

13. aemetha

aemetha Sexy Potato Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from New Zealand
    No. This would be appropriately clinically diagnosed as intoxication. It is an expected effect of consuming the substance. If the symptoms persisted after the expected duration of the expected effects of the substance, then you would look at psychosis and psychotic disorders. Diagnosis informs treatment, and a diagnosis of psychosis does not inform the treatment for intoxication.

I would be very, very careful about this kind of blanket statement. While a bad trip may not on its own cause a permanent psychotic disorder, a bad trip absolutely has the potential to act as a psychosocial stressor which contributes to the onset of a psychotic episode. It's important to remember that there is very little that on its own causes psychosis or a psychotic episode, rather there are multiple interacting factors that contribute to the development, as is described in the diathesis-stress model. You start with a genetic vulnerability, add developmental vulnerabilities, introduce psychosocial stressors, and eventually you cross a threshold which pushes you into psychosis.

I would stress again, I absolutely do not recommend recreational doses of psychedelics for someone with a history of psychotic disorder. Any therapeutic use should be done under the supervision of a qualified mental health professional who is able to intervene in the event of any problems.

14. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Chicxulub Impactor Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    FYI:
    The study that @jazzyj9 mentioned in https://drugs-forum.com/threads/wil...y-psychosis-come-back-on.352987/#post-2076640
    Has been uploaded to the DF database here:https://drugs-forum.com/studies/no-link-found-between-psychedelics-and-psychosis.9480/

I will report this to the moderators so they can edit the links above in
    https://drugs-forum.com/threads/wil...y-psychosis-come-back-on.352987/#post-2076640
    and in
    https://drugs-forum.com/threads/wil...y-psychosis-come-back-on.352987/#post-2076651

I kindly ask the members to upload studies to the database because external links tend to go dead.

DF rules : 18. Post documents in the Studies archive.

Mods please delete this after editing the links, thank you.

Excuse my off-topic post.
    BBW