1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Will taking Valerian cause a positive on a drug test?

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by thessler, Jan 22, 2011.

1. thessler

thessler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Will Valerian cause a positive on a drug test?

2. Shampoo

Shampoo entity of sorts Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Only if the drug test is for valerian...

But seriously-- no commonly used drug-test identifies valerian. And considering that it is a legal, herbal supplement sold widely throughout he united states with no taxanomical or chemical similarities to controlled substances.. unless one is being tested for valerian use for some reason (a study?), valerian will not cause a positive result on any administered drug-test.

3. thessler

thessler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Thank you for the info. I had heard it might test positive for Benzo's. I usually take melatonin to help me fall asleep but had heard that valerian would help me stay asleep. I do random 8 and 10 panel drug tests for work so I didn't want to jeapordize anything.

4. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Even if it does come up positive for anything a GC/MS confirmation test will show negative (assuming the subject isn't actually using any substances being tested for, such as benzodiazepines). In the US for drug test results to be used for anything legal or for employment purposes, positive tests must undergo confirmatory testing by law.