WOD is unavoidable

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by snowball, Jan 16, 2003.

1. snowball

snowball Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The WOD is unavoidable. Look at what happened with legal drugs like alcohol and tabacco. Thousands of people are being killed by these substances and millions suffer from the alcohol addiction of their close-ones. Society just cannot afford the burden of even more dangerous recreational drugs.

1. 3/5,
      good question but needs expanding
      Dec 3, 2011
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    weed does nothing bad compared alcohole and ur not lickly to smoke enofe to get cancer like cigs not to mention vaporizers.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    all legalizing would do is bring the price down and less kids would go to jail get probation ect and ther for effecting the rest of there lives far more then just smokeing weed.

4. Hollywood

Hollywood Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    55 y/o from U.S.A.
    It wouldn'tmatter if it was legal. I got a DUI on my prescripton drugs MSContin and xanax, with out any kind of sobrity test or anything and spent three months in jail. Then they wouldn't even give me my meds, I lay sick for a week until my girl got an order from the judge.

5. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I thought it was worth reviving this old thread, as the question is well stated and relevant. Millions do suffer the effects of alcohol and tobacco. The cost of our economies and health services, and police forces of illicit drugs is immense.

I doubt the effectiveness of prohibition and proactive law enforcement in reducing these costs. Regardless of the status of illegal status of many drugs, people continue to use them. War on Drugs seems like King Canute trying to hold back the tide. This approach is expensive and pointless. Rowan Bosworth-Davies is a former Metropolitan police detective and lawyer. He writes:

"It was when I became actively involved in the issue of interdicting money laundering, and seeking to prevent the profit flows from the narco-trade, that I began to realise the real truth. The anti-money laundering laws were routinely flouted by the banks, because the flow of drug money was so important to their bottom line. Frankly, without the drug trade, many medium-sized banks around the globe would have gone out of business years ago.
    In the UK drug cash is generally calculated by HMRC to be in the region of £6.5 billion, annually. It is only when you appreciate the size of the narco-cash flows that you begin to get a handle on just how big and how widely extended illicit drug taking is. Most children at our schools have experienced drug sales taking place in their grounds. Many of them have taken drugs during school time. At university, it is almost a sine-qua-non that drugs are routinely available in every hall of residence, depending on your narcotic of choice. Many young people prefer to drop Ecstasy prior to going out because pills are cheaper than the alcohol they would have to buy at the club.
    This is one of many reasons why the so-called war on drugs is an abject failure and continuing along this road of criminalisation is a hugely expensive waste of valuable police time and resources.
    " (from the Release website; Why I want the Government to commission an independent review on the effectiveness of present drug policy, 2011)

Our drug laws, the laws of many countries:

• are an utter failure, and do not reduce drug use. The particularly harsh penalties of the US are accompanied by a high per-capita of drug use.
    • are discriminatory and socially excluding, having the most impact on those who are poor. Criminalising people wastes their potential and diminishes opportunities for education, work, and travel. In the UK alone nearly a million people have been cautioned or convicted in just ten years.
    • have a disproportionate effect on black people, who are stopped and arrested more frequently and are more likely to go to be imprisoned.
    • support organised crime
    • promote the production of unregulated drugs and increase risk among users
    • are based on a fear among politicians of antagonising the media, and of being marginalised
    • are a waste of time and resources
    • fail to recognise a wish for individual freedom of choice
    Society cannot afford the burden of even more dangerous recreational drugs, but to me it looks like the War on Drugs does nothing but add to it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
Tags: