Wormwood smokeable/eatable?

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by William_Again, Feb 7, 2005.

1. William_Again

William_Again Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have dug around here and havent really found any conclusive info on
    wormwood. What I really want to know is wormwood smokeable or is it
    possible to eat raw, or make in a tea (I have no interest in making
    absinthe or mixing it with alcohol so please don't reply with that). If
    it is possible to do any of those, what would be better to get,
    wormwood leaves, a wormwood 10x resin, or a wormwood oil extract.

Also I have read all the warnings about it possibly being toxic, so
    what dose would be recomended (presuming that I can smoke it or eat it
    etc...)

2. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You can eat
    <DT>TEA :
    <DD>Pour a cup of boiling water onto 1-2 teaspoons of dried herbs leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes. Drink three times a day

</DD>
    <HR>
    This came from Erowids.org. Yes, Thujone is toxic that is why it can not be sold in the US for consumption. It is a FDA thing not a DEA. I have also seen 10x resin and Thujone candies so it is edible.Although best way is alcohol though.

3. William_Again

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    are the effects as noticable when eaten or smoked? I Don't wanna waste
    cash on something that I have to smoke copious amounts of to feel
    anything but I am unsure of the tea theing cause i read on this forum
    that thujune a bit unlikely to be soluble in water.

4. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    "This summer, I had become friends with an individual who had opened a small apothecary (a brilliant mixture of a culture/informational shop, headshop, and enthobotanical herb shop). After a number of visits and lengthy conversations discussion methods of distillation and extraction of a plethora of different plants, I noticed a smoking mixture he had for sale, which contained the 'Absinnthe Herb'. I had to double check a couple of times, just to be sure that he was indeed selling wormwood, and it was indeed smokable. He had discovered that one can smoke dried wormwood, obtaining the hallucinogenic qualities of the herb, without brewing or drinking Abinthe itself. I realised at that moment that, if thujone is smokable, and it can be made into an alcoholic drink, then thujone must be soluble in alcohol, which can then be reduced not unlike a solvent hash, and the yield would be, of course, a 'thujone hash'." This also was taken from Erowids.org

I have never done this but looks as it can be eaten or smoked. Swim can also say nothing about potency of the high or if it is worth it. I would be interested in a report if it is tried

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Please don't eat Wormwood! It's one of the bitterest substances known to human kind, and even if swallowed without touching your taste buds you'll almost certainly be left with an incredibly bitter taste in your mouth for quite a long time. It's that bitter. Really!

If you're brewing leaves, only use a small amount, a teaspoon or two/cup, and let it brew for 10 minutes or so. I'd recommend adding a good dollop of honey and maybe combining it with chamomile or raspberry leaf to mask the taste. I've found in low doses it has quite a soporific edge when brewed, but can be strangely manic and ever so slightly dissociative at higher doses(we're talking a few cups of well stewed brew mixed with other herbs, so there may have been some interaction, but I doubt it as was familiar with herbs used).

It's certainly smokable, but the effects are subtle - if you're expecting to get stoned, you won't, but I've found it quite effective for calming nicotine cravings in the past. Just be careful to use a well rolled roach or foam filter, as like I said, you don't want this stuff in your mouth!

Traditionally used as a sedative and cold remedy(it's a wonder for sinusitis and has also had good results with migraines), it can also stimulate appetite, digestion and the immune system, as well as blood flow - useful for bringing on periods, but best not used if pregnant! Also avoid if you bleed easily.

As for toxicity, you'd have to ingest a lot of thujone over many years before you develop Absinthism or other cns deterioration. Studies are being made into the potential antioxidant properties of thujone at the moment. It is potentially habit forming, so be careful!

I haven't tried the tinctures or extract, but would be interested to hear reports!

6. jarka

jarka Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from finland
    I once did this mistake and drank somekinda wormwood extract or whatever. It tasted awful and this taste stayed in my mouth for many many hours..

7. passitbobbie

passitbobbie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dont do it. Wormwood is foul in any form. Smoked in plant
    form is best but that is still foul. Don't get me started on
    thujone "hash". Its oily, clogs any peice you smoke it out of so
    you have to vaporize and that smoke is SOOOO noxious.

8. enigmatic

enigmatic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I made a wormwood extraction using an ounce of dried powder. I used
    rubbing alcohol, and then filtered through a coffee filter. The effects
    were very mild alone, but knocked my friends and I out when mixed with
    weed. It tastes pretty bad too, have someplace to spit and something to
    drink. By itself it made me a little out of out, but I still maintained
    all coordination

9. William_Again

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was going to order some, but I decided against it since most of you think it is raunchy

10. passitbobbie

passitbobbie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    good decision ;p

11. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    A while back I smoked 10x wormwood extract. The smoke was not bad at all, easy to smoke. The effects where pretty subtle, but it exceded my expectations.

12. abigail48

abigail48 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    81 y/o from earth
    after awhile, apparently it stops being able to be absorbed by the stomach unless taken with an animal fat, specifically clarified butter

13. Narco0

Narco0 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.K.
    I'll be smoking wormwood in a few days using my bong & a high temperature lighter. The high temperature enables the release of chemicals that ordinary smoking temperatures fail to release

14. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Which chemicals are they and what effect are they supposed to have?