Drug info - would 150 - 200mg Quetiapine as a sleep aid be unsafe?

Discussion in 'Antipsychotics' started by upperdecker, May 8, 2007.

1. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I don't sleep too good so he takes these as an aid.

2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: would 150 - 200mg Seroquel be unsafe?

no swims seen people get started at that dose from a doctor,but that dosent mean You wont have a bad reaction,if its been taken before withno bad effects then yes it probly safe.

3. smithdogg1

smithdogg1 Guest

Reputation Points:

That seems like a lot, esp to start with, I have taken just 25mg before (weights 155) and after about an hour he could not stay awake. I would try starting with a lower dose and if it does not work then increase it.

4. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:

my been taking 50 mg a day 3 times a day for like 2 weeks but stopped cause made him too tired so only takes them sometimes during the day (month passes) but now SWIM just wants to use them for sleeping and now I got a script for 100mg pills.

5. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:

k thanks for your responses. SWIM just didn't wanna fall asleep and not wake up.

6. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

200mg is not even a starting dose for schizophrenia (25mg on day one of treatment in the UK) or mania (50mg), so this is not a good dose to be trying if SWiY is not psychotic & has not done a controlled titration.

For sleep stick to 25-50mgs - if SWiY has had a break from them tolerance should drop. Sleep disturbances such as sleep walking are common with this med at high doses so be careful. Ask SWiY pharmacist for a pill cutter if SWiY only has 100 mg pills.

7. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

200mg is not even a starting dose for schizophrenia (25mg on day one of treatment in the UK) or mania (50mg), so this is not a good dose to be trying if SWiY is not psychotic & has not done a controlled titration.

in swims local county jail 150-200 is semi normal,esp for those with mental problems

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

County Jail doles out Seroquel? That's grounds for a lawsuit. You don't need Seroquel - you need the ACLU!

9. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

quite easily,and for anything from sleep problems to minor psych.easyier then getting aspirin for some people.

10. Micklemouse

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Cheaper than guards who know what they're doing I suppose...

11. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

From The PDR Pocket Guide to Prescription Drugs:

Incidentally, EVERYONE who does prescription drugs (as prescribed or otherwise) needs one of those.

A psychiatrist (Peter Breggin, M.D.) is critial of most of pharmacutical psychiatry, and he argues that drugs such as Seroquel are so widely used in psych wards and prisons because they promote docility.

12. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Moved to "Anti-Psychotics"

13. Micklemouse

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Cheers J - you read my mind, you ol' borg!

Bcubed - there is a reason why Quetiapine contains an anagram of the word Quiet. Seroquel is something of a joke amongst psyche nurse friends of A Certain Mouse - of all this class of drugs, it generally fails to help people with psychotic illnesses get or stay well, but is marvellous at making them fat, demotivated, hypersomniac somnambulists.

Low doses do however seem to make for an effective sleep aid & anxiolytic in the short term though...

14. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

but is marvellous at making them fat, demotivated, hypersomniac somnambulists.

hmmm wonder why theyd use it in jails/prisons?but anyways lets try and get this thread back on topic

so yes 150-200 IMHO is safe if you have used it before with no bad effects,but a lower dose should do you fine high doses will make you super tired in the morning into the afternoon.so unless youve built up a tollerance why go so high?

15. chrono420

chrono420 Newbie

Reputation Points:

Swim used to take these daily because of axiety, I started with 25mg a day and eventualy moved to 150mg a day, I was on 150 a day for around a month befor I started to feel comfertable enough to stop. I went from 150 to about 10mg a day then nothing.

When swim first started taking these 25mg seroquel about 30 min after swim taking them he was fast asleep, eventualy even the 150mg wouldent make him too sleepy it would just make swim less worried.

In swims advice 150-200 mg is safe BUT only if I have taken them alot befor, taking 150-200mg right off the bat might be dangeous. I would start out with 25mg and slowly move up to 150-200, BUT watch out I started to get addicted to them so swim stopped, swim warns you to keep control over them.

16. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have taken 1000mg of Seroquel in one dose, 10x100mg pills. SWIM just knocked out hard, I didn't die. Yes I understand this type of experimentation is not too smart. SWIM never found them addicting. People with schizophrenia take doses of 200-300mg 3 times a day sometimes, it is a very safe drug minus chronic use which can possibly cause diabetes as of recent.

17. kreden

kreden Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Seroquel is safe up to 800 mg. Start with lower doses is recommended.

18. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    An additional risk of Quetiapine is that suicidal behaviour has been reported, particularly on initiation of therapy. To minimise this risk and the risk of other adverse effects, it is important that the dose is titrated upwards in a controlled manner. Depending upon the circumstances, individual starting doses can be as low as 25mg. (British National Formulary 63 March 2012).

19. canadia

canadia Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was prescribed 200mg Seroquel every day (half in the morning, half at night) for Schizophrenia. I had previously tried to kill myself via drug overdose so my doctor switched me to these, telling me was that I couldn't overdose on them. Even if I took the whole bottle, I would just be groggy for days. For a sleep aid, I would recommend anywhere from 25mg-50mg. I couldn't stand Seroquel, it took all the pleasure out of everything...I was apathetic and everything tasted like cardboard. I wouldn't even be hungry, I would just eat when I was told to and stop eating when the plate was empty...I lost all of my friends because I stopped caring and just slept all of the time. I honestly don't know why anyone would WANT to take that much Seroquel daily...after a while you'll start to feel how I did. You should try ZzzQuil or something! :)