Would love some advice on speed

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by ExtremeWays, May 8, 2007.

1. ExtremeWays

ExtremeWays Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have already tried to post this but it seems to be lost, so sorry if it is doubled.

Basically I am looking for some advice on something that only this forum would be able to answer at this moment in time, it has taken SWIM a couple of weeks to even sign up!

I have dabbled in drugs throughout the past six years, being 20. Regular use of weed up until the last couple of months for sleeping purposes, and have tried coke and of course, speed in the past once every few or more months.

At the start of March I got her hands on a half oz bag of base. Bearing in mind the impurity of speed/base in UK!

I started taking a very small amount, wrapped in half a skin paper bombed, every morning. The bag lasted a month. At the start of April, I got her hands on apparently a much stronger form of base to be taken in small amounts, which SWIM being the conscience little person did so, and decided to take an even smaller amount wrapped in half a skin paper bombed every morning. I have been doing this up until Saturday past, where SWIM decided to come off a few days to “reset” SWIM’s self.

I have suffered depression in the past, her mum and dad have also suffered from depression for years and have been on medication for it. At the end of March SWIM’s uncle who she was very close to passed away, SWIM also realised that what she has suffered from childhood is OCD, which she needs help for, along with miscellaneous worries including money problems etc. I am in a bad state of depression and is going to the docs to get this treated.

I have also suffered from panic attacks lately. It was triggered one night after taking base, not sleeping all night and sitting in the same spot, smoking a joint and standing up too fast, fainting, then panicking, hence panic attack. Since then panic attacks have came on but I think it is mostly the brain reacting to situations it feels are similar to the initial one, hence them occurring over. SWIM’s dad also has a past of bad panic attacks, so could be inherited.

SWIM realised that when taking speed, panic attacks are known which has caused SWIM to question herself so much about her little daily habit.

I have stopped taking base since Saturday night (this is now Tuesday night) and will continue to not take it until nearer the end of the week. I have had a lot of rest and has eaten a lot also!

What I am looking to know is if these panic attacks and depression is something that people think would have came on anyway? I think it would have, but is SWIM’s small habit causing SWIM danger? (apart from the danger of addiction of course) is this small amount I have taken the past couple of months dangerous? I have had a lot of rest and eaten a lot while being off it the past few days, would SWIM’s body have “reset” itself as such and so if I do decide to start taking again nearer the end of the week, would SWIM’s body have recovered from the previous couple of months of taking daily?

I know that a forum cannot have solid answers, but advice is all I am looking for. Thank you so much in anticipation of your advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Salvinorin A

Salvinorin A Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hello ExtremeWays, and welcome to the forum!

The depression might have come on anyways because there is a family history. However, the speed has definitely helped. One of the withdrawals of amphetamine is sure enough.....depression and fatigue (not sure if You is feeling that, but the depression..yes).

The amount that You says You took does not seem to be incredibly dangerous, however because it appears that it has led to you's depression, SWIM highly advises that You should stop until You has recovered.

In fact, SWIM advises You to not use speed too much as it can get out of hand really quickly. Luckily the body rebuilds dopamine very quickly (compared to serotonin), so the previous speed usage probably won't have a huge effect on a depression recovery.

Usually panic attacks and depression are a sure red flag when using drugs, especially speed. Be careful, and definitely cut down on the use. If You continues to use speed while depressed, the body will soon believe that it is the medication, and the crashes will become much worse.

SWIM already thinks that speed is a bad enough drug, however once again, SWIM highly advises against using speed AT LEAST until you's depression has somewhat been cured.

Be safe.

Peace.
    Sal-A

3. ExtremeWays

Reputation Points:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read over SWIM's post. Went to the docs today and have been put on Fluoxetine, so hopefully this is the start of SWIM's recovery :)

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes. The use of drugs that increase anxiety and depression are contraindicated for people who already are prone to these conditions. So the amphetamines should go in the sink and be flushed. If drugs must be played with, one would be advised to choose ones that are calming and reduce stress and anxiety.

But SWIM likely knew this before he posted. Take care.

5. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    My advice would be NOT TO UNDERESTIMATE THE DRUG'S ABILITY TO CAUSE PARANOID DELUSIONS, EVEN WITH SMALLER DOSES JUST REMEMBER IT CAN HAPPEN -

Also I'd suggest using speed to do some other activity be it recreational or task. Try not to sit around doing nothing just feeling good. Get out and do something matters on and off speed.

6. ExtremeWays

Reputation Points:
    Well I have decided to stop taking it and get health sorted out, maybe socially but even then very cautious about that.

7. Salvinorin A

Salvinorin A Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A wise and healthy decision. Good for you :)

Peace.
    Sal-A

8. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It might be best to wean down off of the speed because stopping cold turkey will bring on even more depression. You will do nothing but eat, sleep, and be depressed. I found this out the hard way when she was on Christmas break for a month in college a few years ago and didn't take her ADHD meds during that time. She felt very bad. When college resumed after Christmas, she started taking her meds again and the symptoms disappeared but swim realized that she needed to get off the stuff if possible and only use it for exams. Since then, she has managed to do without it. I have also had a couple of panic attacks when her dosage was too high.

9. ExtremeWays

Reputation Points:
    I thought she'd update. I have been off the speed for a couple of weeks now. Didnt seem to have withdrawl symptoms or anything, didnt seem to overeat or sleep (although high consumption of chocolate!)

Been on the antidepressants, takes a while for em to work but I feel a bit better already. Was going to take a really small amount of base tonight at a social gathering, I dont know if there is any effects taking antidepressants and base, any ideas?

10. Salvinorin A

Salvinorin A Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well....SWIM dug this up off of some google research...

"Do not take amphetamine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), or phenelzine (Nardil) in the last 14 days.
    Before taking amphetamine, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
    • insulin or another medicine to treat diabetes;
    • guanethidine (Ismelin) or reserpine (Diutensin-R);
    • doxazosin (Cardura), terazosin (Hytrin), prazosin (Minipress), or guanadrel(Hylorel);
    • a tricyclic antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine (Asendin), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), imipramine (Tofranil), clomipramine (Anafranil), protriptyline (Vivactil), or desipramine (Norpramin)
    • a phenothiazine such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine);
    • lithium (Lithobid, Lithonate, Eskalith, others); or
    • haloperidol (Haldol).
    You may not be able to take amphetamine, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
    Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with amphetamine. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal products."

I think it depends on the antidepressent. You mentioned that You is taking Fluoxetine, which is an SSRI. I amn't a pharmacist, but he has read that SSRIs are ok to take with certain amphetamines such as MDA (Unlike MAOIs).

SWIM advises against mixing in any drugs with anti-depressants either way. I don't know you's doctor, however I would guess that he wouldn't recommend taking amphetamines while on anti-depressents. I think that You should feel better first and be able to make it without the Fluoxetine, then start up with the base again if You still wishes.

I have no professional background, however he still advises going on the safe side...I am sure one of these guys on the forum knows the dangers of mixing an SSRI with amphetamine much better than I do.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  11. TofkeThe1

TofkeThe1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o
    Can be so great, it put you in an higher stage, you dance, talk like it's nothing at least by me and if you have pain it's also good I take sometimes before going out I hadan operation at my feed and still pain but when I 've sniffed it goes much better, but you must now your limits.

12. ExtremeWays

Reputation Points:
    Thanks for the replies. I have taken base a few times (although really small quantities) the last few weeks, no effects so far but being really careful and only taking small doses. Sucks that you cant drink neither. SIM doesnt like being in a sober state :-(

13. Drakzon

Drakzon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim can set your mind at east a little being a guy who only abuses prescription drugs, he tried illegal ones but lost all his money and decided to stick to prescriptions which were more pure and gave swim a much more intense high. I have had a doctor prescribe both Prozac (Fluoxetine) and a stimulant Adderall (Amphetamine) at the same time so it is safe at least in the prescribed dosages. Swim can't garuntee it would be safe in recreational doses but he has had no trouble. He also takes a mood stabilizer and antipsychotic and while these meds reduce the intensity of the high and make it so swim must take an unreasonably high dose to have fun, they also pretty much completely eliminate the emotional crash I used to get when he did stimulants without those meds.

14. cyndi

cyndi R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think that is what led to swim's usuage of speed was depression. Mental illness is in swim's family too. Swim's mom was bipolar as was her grandma. Her mom was also sorry can't spell it, skitophrenic. I had quit cold turkey and was very very depressed for a long time. She has bad reactions to ssris so they didn't help. I think tapering could have been smart, but I was too hard into it and tried to taper but would binge. Someone mentioned adderall as a method of getting off of meth. I never thought of that. It could be dosed down and wouldn't cause a huge body shock. I wonder if the medical community buys into this? I think also small doses would help people who want to give up meth but don't want to go through the depression which is horrible.