Drug info - WTF is Oxeladine?

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by Paracelsus, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I found some cough gels that are OTC where he lives, they're called Paxeladine and contain 40mg Oxeladine (DCI) Citrate. I have tried numerous cough meds (DXM, Codeine, etc.) but has never heard anything about this one.

Could oxeladine be used recreationally, and if yes, in which dosage?

2. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i've never heard of the stuff, either. a small bit of hunting shows that it is an anti-tussive agent (obviously). i also found a link to a bbc article that says oxeladine is "banned in many countries over fears that it might cause cancer" (source), but no source is given citing any cancer study. i really couldn't find much, but based on what i could find, i would advise against using oxeladine as a recreational substance (at least until more solid information can be obtained). does anybody else know more an this substance?

3. VincentVan

VincentVan Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I just tried to google the terms and found dozens of pages about each of them.
    I could´n t be bothered to read them all but it seems that info about the compound(s) is´nt in short supply.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I rooted around in google, and saw a few pages of info...but theres very little that I can discern from it except what Each Hit already says. Many of the pages seem to be in foreign languages.

I wonder if the mechanism of action is even known. But as it stands right now, doesnt look like its worth trying recreationally.

5. VincentVan

Reputation Points:
    Yes most ( if not all ) of the pages are in french because Paxeladine seems to be the french commercial name of the compound; the producing pharmaceutical factory has a french name too. I tried to type Paxeladine without the last "e" and the pages are in romanian.
    I´m pretty sure that if you have the time and the inspiration to investigate further and read some of these pages you´ll find under what name the concotion is being sold in other countries.
    OK, admitedly you must be able to read french (or romenian), but then if you are in possession of a french product you´re most likely to understand some of the gallic lingo too.
    If you really are in need of informations about it and can´t understand french , then let me know it and I´ll see what I can find out.

VV.

6. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I also found a page in vietnamese. The plot thickens. An alternate spelling is also "oxeladin", like VincentVan's "paxeladin" suggestion. Searching oxeladine/oxeladin will both yield different searches. Wish I had a Merck Index in front of me so I could try and look it up.

7. N0ly

N0ly Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    well it seems to be just a anti-cough med.

chemical structure is C20H33NO3•C6H8O7

formula citrate of 2-éthyl-2-phénylbutyrate of 2 (2-diéthylaminoéthoxy) ethyl

CAS number is 52432-72-1

mech of action is kinda interesting
    # the main thing
    Inhibition of the passage of the stimulus tussigene on the level of the neurons of the medulla oblongata (described like cough centers) in the dorso-side part of the bulb.

# secondary
    Respect the secretion of the trachéo-bronchial liquid and has a stimulative action on the respiratory center.

regular doseage is Adult: eighty to a hundred and twenty milligrams per day in 2 to 3 catches.
    other than that i didnt really pull up anything at all on recreational use.

8. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks to everyone who did research on that, its probably antitussive only, not a narcotic/dissociative with cough sedation properties like Codeine/DXM.

I will NOT take that shit.

9. N0ly

N0ly Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    it does not bind with the NMDA receptors that cause the dissociative affects of DXM so no i wouldnt think it would be worth it.

10. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ooo ye.... it causes cancer and was removed from all western markets minus the french (who trusts the french anyway lol) so why would one even risk it... good choice to avoid it.

11. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Typical. Ban it in the USA, then threaten trade restrictions on third-world countries that don't allow it's sale on their markets. This is why DDT is still used as an insecticide all over the map. As well as thalidomide. "Congratulations, Mrs. Rodriguez! It's a boy - with lovely little flippers where his hands should be!"

12. VincentVan

Reputation Points:
    About that DDT thing listen to this Nagog:

"Please help save african babies as you are helping to save the environment. African babies do not have a powerful movement".

Arata Kochi : director of the World Health Organization´s malaria program, urging environmental groups not to protest the use of DDT inside african homes as a mosquito repellant.

Every coin has still got two faces. At the very least.

VV.

13. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    there must be superior insectacides that cause some of the shit ddt does, maybe not though.... malaria is a horrible disease but cant they just use a shit load of raid lol

14. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    jeez, thats pretty bad, i mean that one with the cancer. Where I live, oxeladine is imported from france and its probably the only OTC medicine that actually is a cough sedator/suppressant. Most dudes here buy oxeladine because DXM is on prescription (sux...)