Effects - Xanax (Alprazolam) VS Valium (Diazepam)

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Darksanity, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Darksanity

Darksanity Newbie

Reputation Points:
  2. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Valium is a relatively powerful hypnotic (sleep inducer), whereas Xanax is less powerful as a hypnotic, but a very powerful anxiolytic. (anti anxiety)

Some people assume that because one benzodiazepine makes you sleepier than another that this benzodiazepine is more potent than those which do not produce sleepiness to the same degree. Often, the reverse is true.

Xanax is short acting, Valium is long acting.

3. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Here is part of a Benzodiazepine Equivalency Table:

Benzodiazepines -- Half-life (hrs)2 -- Approximately Equivalent
    [active metabolite] Oral dosages (mg)3

Alprazolam-- 6-12h -- .5
    (Xanax)

Diazepam -- 20-100 [36-200] -- 10
    (Valium)

Alprazolam requires a much weaker doase to produce the same intensity of effect that Diazepam would. according to this chart .5mg xanax would be simmilar to 10mg of Valium.

Boath can and are perscribed for general anxiety disorder. Benzodiazepines are rarely perscribed simply as a sleep aid anymore. Alprazolam, I would say, works better as a sleep aid due to its short duration. This wont leave you feeling as groggy the next day.

Xanax is a more "slap in the face" benzo as its duration is one of the shortest acting of common used benzos. Those who take it for anxity disorders are advised to take it 3 times a day, This problem sparked the creation on the newer Xanax XR's. But getting back on track....

Valium has a longer duration, a longer come-up period and less intense effects. (based on doasage, of course) I have little experance with Valium and lots of experance with Xanax. SWIM personally prefers Xanax.

Hope this helped, sorry if the info is a bit scatterd, SWIM happens to be enjoying his xanax wile writing this up.

Best Wishes,
    Mike

(edit: sorry, Im having a hard time getting to table to display correctly, I hope you are still able to disifer threw it. The full original text can be found here: http://www.betterway2health.com/Benzoequiv.htm)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
    1. 3/5,
      Please don't post links, they can become changed or unavailable.
      Jun 22, 2015
  4. jandehoog

jandehoog Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    On another note, remember that the same drug can have different effets in differen people, actually I feel that xanax is much more sleepier than valium, and it doesn't take the edge off stress that well. In this case SWIM prefers to take valium, usually in the 10 - 40mg range. 10mg just to relax, 40mg plus some wine for recreational value.
    BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN COMBINING BENZOS AND ALCOHOL!!!

5. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    I have always had memory problems (complete 4hr blackouts) when taking Xanax even at lower-end doses (1mg for example everything becomes grey, 1.5 100% blackout).

On the other hand I have never encountered any memory problems with Valium at (what SWIM consideres high doses for the occasional user) at 40-50mgs.

SWIM's first wife became suicidal, but ONLY during times she was on XANAX, the hour the effects wore off she was fine. Next pill, same thing all over.

So, from SWIM's experiance, and his experiance only, he prefers the Valium over Xanax anyday. I know many people who like it the other way round. Guess its just a personal kinda thing.

6. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well SWIdr has tried both diazepam and alprazolam, and would say the only really noticiable difference (besides dose) is the duration. SWIdr never experiences memory loss from benzos, and can take them in very large amounts and still act perfectly sober, so his tolerance might effect his judgment on benzo effects and amnesia due to their use.

7. GreatWonder

GreatWonder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.K.
    I have both Diazepam and Alprazolam aplenty and always goes back to the Alprazolam. It is obviously the stronger benzo of the two, I find it has a quicker and more noticable kick-in time. Whenever I have taken Diazepam, SWIM almost has to convince SWIM'self it is working. But as already said it's definitely each to their own.

8. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well if SWIdr had to choose one of the two, he would most likely choose alprazolam (xanax). But also it depends on whether one is using the pills for an anxiety and or other disorder, or to get high. If SWIdr had to choose one to use for his (GAD, general Anxiety Disorder), he would choose diazepam most definatly due to its long half life, which would have the ability to keep SWIdr cool throughout the day. Alprazolam, with a much shorter half life, also has its pros and cons when dealing with this.

9. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been using xanax and valium on and off for years.

Many good points were made from the posters in this thread.

Here's SWIM's two cents:

I prefer xanax over valium for sleep inducement (and as an anxiolytic).

I takes 2 mg xanax before bed every night. He wakes up refreshed and ready to go (probably because it is short acting).

If I takes 10mg Valium before bed, he wakes up groggy and with a "Valium hangover"..eck! :smoking:

Alprazolam (Xanax).

This is a short-acting cousin of Valium that gives a good three to five hours of sleep with less hangover in the morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it improves sleep quality, because it is a cousin to Valium, which usually seems to worsen this in most people. It is very good for anxiety as well, and tends to be very well tolerated. It can be addictive, however. The usual dosage is one-half to four 0.5-milligram tablets at bedtime or during the night.

Source: Has an online store and message boards therefore URL should not be posted

*Pre warning time. Before proceeding further please READ THE RULES. Do NOT post links to commercial sites or other forums.

Bear in mind that not abiding by the rules here can and WILL get You banned.

Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  10. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes that is a big con for diazepam, the hangovers can bug, but overall if taken earlier in the day with a couple of glasses of green tea, one is willing and ready to face the world in an orderly (anxiety free) state. Whereas, xanax (alprazolam) would only last an couple hours at most and one would have to keep redosing to maintain their anxiety level.

But of course this deals with the medicinal purposes of these medications, and not the abuse potential. SWIdr would mostly likely have alprazolam handy when he just wanted to "chill out" because of its strength, effects, and short duration.

11. Nonoo

Nonoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    also valium have a low toxic level whereas xanax is higher thats why some people can take massive ammounts of valium in one go you have to be more carefull with xanax

12. dumakey1212

dumakey1212 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    It would take 11,000+ 2 mg Xanax bars to begin reaching lethal doses as extrapolated from the LD50 mice studies, which obviously can't be fully trusted, but say even half that at 5,500 to even reach close to lethality is extremely unrealistic and insane; unless someone's gong to back down 5.000 legitimate bars lol. Benzos in general, aside from some of the nitro analogue exceptions seem incredibly safe relatively compared to opiates as far as opiates compared to with easily overdoses, the trade off is withdrawals since ipiates are nonfatal (while extremely unpleasant) and benzos are also extremely unpleasant mentally/psychological for more than anything

13. anywherebutup

anywherebutup Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've taken both extensively, by prescription: took xanax 3-6 mg a day for about 20 years and valium up to 35 mg a day for about 1 1/2 years.

They're almost the same at the higher doses, from what I can tell, which I will explain in a moment. I would personally, based on my experience, say that 10 mg valium is equal to about 1 mg xanax, except that xanax is more anxiolytic by a long shot and valium is more sedating. Neither gave me "euphoria" in the least. Xanax is easier to operate on in ones daily life. Both "come on" in about the same amount of time and peak at about the same amount of time, about 20 minutes to come on at all and about 45 mins to an hour to peak. Valium has effects for about 6-8 hours and Xanax, it's arguable, but maybe 2-6 hours depending on who you are and what your metabolism is like. Valium has active metabolites that seem to not cause interdose withdrawals even though it really doesn't keep an effect as long as its half-life by a long shot. Xanax has definite interdose withdrawals that are killer.

I don't see that big of a difference otherwise. I prefer Xanax because it's not sedating and more anxiolytic, but I prefer Valium because it doesn't cause interdose withdrawals and is still pretty anxiolytic. I think there is a Xanax XR that would knock out these issues, but I personally won't take it.

Oh, and coming off Valium is a lot easier than Xanax, so that is a plus for it too.

14. AKADB

AKADB Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from U.S.A.
    In my experience with both I was addicted to Xanax without a script and they would make me blackout drooling on myself. I have script of valium 3 10mg a day and its like taking a Tylenol except no anxiety or panic attacks. I do take them as prescribed though and the first few days it did make me insanely tired, but it doesn't do that anymore.

15. benzochap

benzochap Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    It's been fairly well covered in deeper depth but to sumerise:
    Xanax >diazepam (also bare in mind valium technically doesn't exist anymore as Roche pulled it.)
    Xanax is far far shorter acting but stronger and thus seems to be abused more..
    Both highly addictive and detox improperly done can be deadly so watch it on that... Also they're both, especially Xanax, strong CNS depressents so mixing with alcohol is dangerous even if it potentates it, not to mention opiate class narcotics (we've all heard of army's of celebrities dying from this holy triad of drugs.
    Stay safe and monitor the dose as unlike diazepam it's a lot easier to OD on (so I hear)

16. Roxii83

Roxii83 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes Valium is still being used. I take it but it's so weak. Even Xanax don't work for my anxiety anymore my body's tolerance level is so far gone that 4 Xanax 2mg barz do nothing for me.

17. Benzocodone

Benzocodone Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My 2 cents on the 2.

ALPRAZOLAM

Short acting, almost an instant peak, kicks in very quick. Great for panic attacks and instant relief.
    It's considered a very potent benzo. It's the most abused in the class of Benzodiazepines.
    Its abuse potential is so high because of its potentcy and instant rapid peak. Another reason it's more abused is because of the shorter half life thus people keep re dosing to achieve the desired effects of sedation and euphoria.

DIAZEPAM

Very long acting Benzo. Excellent for muscle relaxation, alcohol withdrawal, and benzo detoxification.
    It's great for anxiety, of course, benzos are mostly Rx'd for that very reason.
    It's abuse potential is there, like most benzos, but Diazepam has a ver long half life, making it less addicting than the benzos with shorter acting half lifes, such as Alprazolam.

SUMMARY

ALPRAZOLAM = Short acting, Better for panic attacks, and instant relief of anxiety. Abuse potential is very high.

DIAZEPAM = Long acting, Better for muscle relaxation, alcohol withdrawal, and benzo detoxification. Abuse potential is high.

18. fishfish1

fishfish1 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from croatia
    I also consider xanax to be much stronger. Valium never helped me much, it did a little, but it never made me fall asleep on the spot like xanax did. Literally as soon as it hits me, I can fall asleep in my clothes right away, whereas I never experienced that with Valium.

All in all, xanax last much shorter but is much more potent.