XR and IR (extented and instant release)

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by izzy31, Sep 29, 2006.

1. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    I have always been on adderall xr, perscribed from my doctor. I wanted to try the IR and see if it worked better and had greater benefits than the xr.

Ok, I've read many people's opinions on both types of adderall and it seemed alot of people said that the IR (which some people might only have tried with crushed up contents of an XR capsule but it does qualify as IR) works much better than xr. Supposedly, the XR feels weak and has little effect compared to the IR.

If you are wondering what the hell I'm talking about with "XR" and "IR" then heres a brief review of it.

XR stands for eXtended release
    IR stands for Instant release

The difference is that the xr is made to be effective all day, whereas the ir has a shorter time of duration (contrary to reports however). The xr mechanism works by controlling the amount of time it takes to be metabolized. Half of it dissolves as soon as the stomach begins to digest it, and the other half takes is absorbed about 4 hours later when the chemical keeping it from dissolving elimated. The ir version is metabolized normally with no modifications done to it. It's able to be snorted, dissolved and injected, or swallowed.

Here's a list of things that people have said about the IR version.

IR -

-takes effect quicker (that one is a fact yes)
    -Gives a greater euphoric feeling
    -More intense onset
    -Wears off quicker and without making you feel "tired but awake"

Ok, now here's what I think -

I honestly didn't feel all that different than I do when I take the xr, but noticed some disadvantages of it and prefer to stay with the XR. It didn't feel as strong as the xr and it wears off within about 3-4 hours. I felt no euphoric-intense onset at all. What was 80 mg of adderall IR felt to me like 20 mg of xr.

I don't understand how it could actually feel weaker when its a fact that its absorbed quicker and all at once.....Well I've gained the opinion that IR, is in my experience crappy and a waste of what could have been XR. Does anyone know how this might have happened? It's strange that everone says it does this and that and that it's stronger than xr version which by the way might feel less effective.....and then having the complete opposite experience.

2. Darksanity

Darksanity Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That's pretty weird. SWIM cleans his XR and snort it do lots of homeworks in smaller amount of time (enhance productivity) and take it normally when a full day of concentration is needed.

3. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    Know just what you mean by work ability being increased. But wouldn't it be easier just to take regular IR adderall since its already in a solid pill form?

4. TheFonz

TheFonz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:

I've been prescribed XR and generic IR by my doctor. After a couple months on IR, I asked to be moved back to XR, which I think is way better for my purposes. I find that the XR is a smoother ride, where the IR was a little more rollercoaster like...

I know that all pharmaceuticals are supposed to be heavily monitored and standardized, but i've even noticed that variation exist among the generic IR when I've had to get my Rx refilled at different pharmacies and I get a different type of pill. I have also read other post about the differences between the old Abbott Labs Desoxyn and the new company that makes them and others have also said the same thing about the differences that exist among pills, which is kinda scary.....

Maybe it's quality? or something to do with T(peak) rates and how you body handles it? Definitely a question I will be asking the pharmacist...

5. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    I've noticed the same thing over the years, with many kinds of pills, both prescription and OTC. Someone posted a link (I think somewhere in the Opiates forum, if I can find it again I'll link it here) that said that, although generics have to have the same AMOUNT of active ingredient, that they have to make sure the various binders and fillers don't deactivate it to more than 80% or, er, overactivate it to more than 125%.

So it appears that, yes, the "same" pill from different companies CAN, in fact, feel like they aren't working as well (or that this generic works better than that generic). Proven to me ONCE AGAIN by my local pharmacy, which switched to a different generic of one of my medications for a few months and have recently switched back. The original one lasted 7-8 hours in me, the new one only 5-6 hours.

Sadly, the generic "brand" I got when I was FIRST prescribed this medication a number of years ago worked even better, not only lasting 8-16 hours, but it didn't even have an appreciable "wearing off" period. Often, I'd only realize I needed to take it again by glancing at the clock. The generic brands I've had since I can feel wearing off in my body and over the last 2 months I'd become a clock-watcher! It's not so bad now that I'm on the other company's again, but I'd love the orginal one! As it's also a controlled substance, attempts to call around to various pharmacies to locate one that carries that particular company's formulation have been fruitless. *sigh* And the doctor's have been no help, of course, as they believe that they're all the same (despite the patient complaints and documentation online otherwise).

So, that was my roundabout way of saying, yes, it appears they can be different.

Oh, here's the link to the other forum post:

Generic and brand name oxycontin questions (ABG, Endo) and & skip down to post #11 by BANGINCOLOR for the quote & link.

~K.Elise

6. richgirlblah

richgirlblah Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    the thing about IR is that it is great for snorting and gives a great high that way (in swim's experience, anyway). from swim's extensive experience, IR is much better for recreational purposes, whether that entails 'getting high' or using it for a particular purpose that requires overt attention such as a study or cram session. it's much stronger in this sense. however, XR is much, much better if You plan on taking it in a medicinal capacity, as in, every day to treat ADD or some such thing. anyway, you should stick with the one that you feel better on.

7. blinkKDX

blinkKDX Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    for fun IR is better, or its nice if its late in the day and need to study a bit and dont want to stay up ALL night long. The Fonz is right about xr being a smoother ride. it def. is, but not as "fun". but for productivity purposes, go with Xr.

8. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    I see what you mean, but I try to get studying out of fun and keep the cycle of "euphoria leads to productivity, satisfaction from productivity equals euphoria". I don't know if it's only me but it DOES work.