You guys probably get this a lot but....

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by DeadlyRipped, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DeadlyRipped

DeadlyRipped Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I LOVE WEED....

I love the combination of spending my whole day sober, then contrasting it with a fat blunt at the end of the day. I'm a biochemistry major at college with a job in the bio dept. and I do volunteer work at the local rehab center. I love my weed so much that I think it's beginning to get in the way of school. I still have mostly A's, but would my grades be higher without the buds? Of course I'd never deal, but if I did it would mean I smoke for free, which just enables me to get high ANYTIME I want. If I were a dealer, I'd have an endless supply of buds from which to pick (and always smoke up my friends of course). I am proud of my ability to balance school with weed, but regardless of how much my intellectual side tells me that I'm doing alright, I FEEL like I am in trouble with it. Unless I start getting straight A's, I think this feeling will continue. I feel so much pressure from school, and weed takes that pressure away, even if only for the three hours that I watch TV just before going to bed after a long day of studying and working. I suppose I would do better in school without it, but where's the fun then? I don't know. I'm confused about it, mostly beacuse I don't know anybody who's managed the way I have. It seems that most of the people that I smoke with up at school (although never on school grounds because we all know that no one does that ) get straight C's and "hope to pass" their classes. By comparing my external life to theirs,I might not be doing so bad. Still, inside it feels like a constant battle. When I start smoking, I think about the damage it does to my lungs and the possible long term psychological ramnifications. When I'm sober I think about getting high. If I'm going to get high on a given night, that whole day will be wasted in anticipation. I'm just curious to hear what others think about my situation. Does anyone here think a little counseling at the addiction center where I volunteer is in order? Sorry if this is aboring rant, but I needed a break from studying the 180 notecards I have stacked on my desk. Yes spring break just started for me....

Thanks for having a forum for me to post!

-DeadlyRipped

2. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I used to worry that weed was getting in the way of my goals but i think thats just because we've been told for so long that "drugs are bad... mmmmkayyy?". Not everyone is an A grade student all the time and if you find the balance between smoking and work you'll prolly be ok. As you say when the pressure of college gets to you a joint can be just what you need tohelp you chill out, and thatcant be all bad!

3. DeadlyRipped

DeadlyRipped Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Always good to have a second opinion/perspective on things.

GFG DARE

Thanks,

DeadlyRipped

4. alexdigital

alexdigital Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you having a constant battle then something is probably wrong.

If you think about it all day then its affecting you life, so it probably needs sorting out.

I have a similair problem, which i've just posted. I suggest just
    trying to cut down your gear, and focus your life on something else,
    something more important than a spliff.

I want weed to be "nice at the weekend" like beer and wine and nice food.

Not something controlling my life.

-Alex

5. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    gfg dare? i haven't the foggiest what that means! must be an american thing....

6. DeadlyRipped

DeadlyRipped Newbie

Reputation Points:
    GFG is "good fucking game" which is derived from the remark at the end of online sporting matches. i.e. halflife counterstrike. The ettiquette is to say gg which is short for good game at the end of a match or round. When someone is displeased with the match, whether it be because they got creamed, or beacuse the other team left early, they might reply with a sarcastic "gfg" to indicate said distain.

DARE is an American drug education program usually administered to 3-6 graders in public (and often in private as well) schools. They address the health problems associated with drugs in the same way that first graders are told that thecivil war was fought over slavery. Eventually we all learn the truth, but the truth is twisted and bent for the consumption of our youth, with the intent that it'll scare them out of trying drugs for a while. I was referencing it to compound iggy's statement that this feeling that we've got a problem when we really may not is due to the engrained social beilief that drug use is abuse, and anything more than experimentation is addiction.Edited by: DeadlyRipped

7. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    well thanks for clearing that up for me! I dont think you could have explained that any betterat all, it's all so clear to me now...... You sound like an intelligent guy!

8. DeadlyRipped

DeadlyRipped Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Alex: the only time it occupies my constant thoughts is when I haven't decided that I'm not smoking that day. For instance: let's say I've got a lot of work to get done, then I'll decide early on that there'll be no weed smoked today. From then on it's clear of my mind. Unfortunately though, on those days when I've got some work to do, but not so much that I don't have time for a little of that sticky icky, I find myself VERY unproductive.

It seems kinda like GET HIGH OR BUST. Either I take on the role of TOTAL stoner, and do jack shit all day and then get high and say fuck it all, or I study like a fucking madman and get it done like it needs to get done. My main problem is that I want to get A's, but I'm not sure being a biochemistry major will afford me that luxury regardless of my study habits. They're just beyond attainable. One might make the case that it's easier to get B's than A's, and therefore one can slack off a little and still get those B's, which would definitely make more time for recreation i.e. smoking. I'm still trying to recognize what's motivating this logic. Am I just making excuses to smoke more, or do I have a legitimate argument? I can't answer this question, and I doubt I'll make the decision at all. I'll probably just keep it in the back of my head and keep letting myself smoke a little more often and a little more often and a little more often; kinda like getting drunk and letting your ex put your hand on her crotch, even while you know you're cheating on your girlfriend. You can watch it happening, but unless you've got the willpower, that hand isn't going to move farther away from 'cheating' (poor grades or other personal problems)

At the same time I do feel that I can quit without a problem. I've got weeks without smoking, even months. On the flipside, in the past I'vegone more than 8 months without skipping a day of smoking. It's kinda like I feel afraid about it and confident at the same time, and my mood dictates how I feel about it. My mood at times may itself be dictated by my current level of desire to smoke, and is therefore as said above.... my positive reassurance of my own strength is like putting my hand over my eyes and telling myself that my ex isn't trying to make me cheat on my girlfriend even though it's still happening. I don't know....Edited by: DeadlyRipped

9. billyloner

billyloner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o

we got it over here too. drugs awareness resistance education, isnt it? they do t-shirts and pens too.

anyway, in response to your question. im not sure how helpful this will be, but often what motivates us to study is a desire to do what we have been told is the right thing. throughout our early lives we are told how important grades are, and when we finally get enough independance that we can truly affect how well we do, we feel it is wrong not to work constantly. however, a social life is just as important as study - how well would you study if, for the entire duration of your course, all you did was study, without anything you find relaxing or entertaining thrown in? i got told at university that i should study for 45mins-1hour, then take a 15minute break. and it is a similar principle to this, just at a slightly wider angle. personally i found weed after study to be less enjoyable, i prefer drink after a hard day as my brain feels fried. but whatever you find relaxing is what you should do. i mean, you wouldnt be posting this if jogging or football was your way of relaxing would you...

10. forty1

forty1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm kind of in a similar situation. I've always been pretty much a straight A student and just started smoking about a year ago. I'm constantly worried, too, that smoking will eventually have a bad effect on me. I've thought about quitting for awhile, but I just can't get myself to do it. If between studying and working I enjoy having a nice smoke then so be it. I say as long as you get your shit done, smoke til your hearts content.

11. purplehaze

purplehaze Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Have u ever thought about that weed helps u relate to reality and school both at the same time while keeping you from feeling the total effects of school related stress?

Sometimes a good blunt can help just dont let it get out of control. You have a lot to look forward to. As far as making straight A's its good but if ur making A's then why worry.

Maybe weed helps u throughout the day and like most people helps u get away from stress. Hell u never know it might even be making u get better grades. I doubt it tho but it probably sure is helping the stress of everyday life.

LIFES A BITCH AND THEN U DIE SO FUCK THIS SHIT AND LETS GET HIGH.

12. DeadlyRipped

DeadlyRipped Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Billyloner: actually weight lifting was my primary method of relaxation for the past two years. Through my senior year of high school and my freshman year at a community tech college, I didn't have shit to do. Since I'm now a biochem major at a four year university, the free time to lift weights has disappeared, along with top-notch, comfortable, roomy excercise facilities that I was accustomed to. This previous summer I spent my mornings high, afternoons sobering up, later afternoons lifting weights, and then my nights high as hell again. It was a great fuckin time until I got strep throat, then a lung infection that led to bronchitis, followed by mono, and capped off with your standard flu bug. I've been out of shape for 6 months, sick as a dog the whole time...

Just talking about it here seems to have helped me eliminate some confusion about it. I spoke with a friend who's a political science major, and he said that in politics, most higher-ups prescribe to the notion that a wrong decision is still better than indecision. What he meant by that, is that I should pick a schedule, and abide by it until it appears to be working, or making things worse. I've decided to smoke as often as I have free time, but only after 10 PM. This way, there's never a question about whether I'm studying during the day or not. My days are for studying, and my nights are for getting high. I'll give it two weeks, starting as soon as I get back from spring break to see how it goes. I'm still planning on hanging out on this forum, as it seems like a pretty chill place to shoot the shit about my favorite topic.

Thanks,

-DeadlyRipped

13. armatitumor

armatitumor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Actually I pulled my D average up to a B+ when I started smoking weed. Funny how that works out.

14. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    You have lot to learn my friend.

Turn on, tune in, drop out

15. hogg

hogg Newbie

Reputation Points:
    DARE means...

D rugs A re R eally E xspensive

in my book

16. damania

damania Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I don't know about everyone else but I must say that i believe weed
    affects your marks in a bad way. Maybe it was just me but after I
    stopped smoking it for a month my marks went up. Honestly, I do not
    believe it was the actual substence that affected my marks it was
    everything else besides actually smoking up. Everyday I'd roll a spliff
    then sit down smoke it then play video games or watch tv and that left
    barely any time for studying. But then again that might just be me... [​IMG]

17. max17

max17 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I have the same problem. I do Track and Field - middle distance mostly and quite good at it, and I enjoy running. On the other hand I won't turn down my friend's bubbler. When I smoke I don't want to continue with running and just quit track. My grades are going just ok, i passing all subjects except one. I'm kind of torn between two things I enjoy doing. [​IMG]

18. Lysergium

Lysergium Newbie

Reputation Points:
  19. austin

austin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i do too man...I do too[​IMG]

20. Mezza

Mezza Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.S.A.
    well bro I love my weed as well but if you feel its getting in the way of important things in life, just take a break. Marijuana is like a good friend, she's always there when you need her and she's not going to be offended if you dont come around for a while:) I was a once-a-day smoker for nearly 3 years, and now I smoke maybe once every couple of weeks. My highs are much more intense and I appreciate that state of mind much more now.

I hear you with the constant battle complex. When you start thinking like that, its time to back off from the cheebaa bit. Smoke if you want to, but dont smoke because you think you have to.

Mezza