1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Your new Reviews Section is here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Alfa, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    Today is a big day for me and hopefully for the site as well. After years of work and trying to get superb reviews functionality now the day has finally come to present it to you.

We have always had simple reviews functions with 11k rehabs, book reviews, coffeeshop reviews, dispensaries, etc. In the coming months I will import the old reviews to the new system.

Until then I have added a number of categories, like:
    • Drug Test Labs
    • Drug Testing Kits
    • Lawyers
    • Paraphernalia
    • Scales
    You can browse them here. I need you to start posting new items and Reviews.

The reviews section works like this;
    1. You can add a new Item (product or company) to the appropriate category.
    2. The Item Details should contain specifications and general details. No review or opinion.
    3. A discussion thread will be automatically created for the Item.
    4. Once an Item exist then you and others can add reviews to the item.
    5. You can also post questions or answers to the 'Question' tab of the Item.
    So check out what products and companies you have experience with and post items for this in the appropriate category.

For instructions on how to use the Reviews Section please see here:
    Reviews FAQ - How to review items, create items, and more

If you encounter any bug with the reviews section then please post your bug report here: Bug tracker
    If you have suggestions for a new review category then please post here: Improving DF
    If you have feature requests for the Reviews section, then please post here: Functionality Requests

Please mind that we review products and services but we do not allow vendor reviews. Vendor reviews are only allowed in restricted area's.

If you want to sponsor the development of an import for our recovery centers to our reviews, then post here: Rehabs to Reviews Importer

I believe that its important to have objective reviews on the internet. Especially when it comes to drug related products and services. An accurate milligram scale or reagent test kit can save someone's life. A good addiction treatment center can help people regaining control over their life while they are at their most vulnerable. Its essential to be able to make an informed choices based upon the experiences of those who have gone before you: the reviews of the Drugs-Forum community.

I hope that you will enjoy these new review features.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. Cwb20022

Cwb20022 Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Pennsylvania
    Simple answer. I for one will love this function as we can now direct members to what should help. Or what helped them.

Hope a lot of members rate. Hint hint please go a vote on products and forums.

3. nomoremommyfood

nomoremommyfood Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is a fantastic idea! I don't post as much these days, but a chance to help others - combined with the site's overall emphasis on smart critique - is pretty tempting!

The concept of a review section in general got me thinking. I had a few questions (and maybe some answer, too!) to pose Alfa or anyone else. As always, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot - I'm a bit rusty...

- Would this be a good area to review drug-related movies, books, TV shows, visual art, or other creative media? I, for one, would love to see if critique from actual drug users differs from the larget public.

(DISREGARD: Alfa covered my first AND second observations, which I either overlooked (and I'm a professional editor...stay off drugs, kids! ;)) or Alfa managed to traverse back in town...or lives in a different zip code but what's the fun in that? I did keep the text should anyone want to discuss review categories or nuances between the DF and the DW
    - Would posting Dark Web vendors be appropriate? I have existing qualms about members openly discussing the DW already (I think it adds to negative assumptions and risks an important harm reduction resource); in this case, would reviewing individual vendors be "sourcing? Reviewing websites, however, could be illuminating.

- How do members know if there's a conflict of interest? For example, if someone posts their own legal services or works for a rehab center, would rules dictate that posting include a disclaimer? Probably not a huge deal, but something to consider.

In the end, I'm super excited about this new feature. It's apt for the site while encouraging a new kind of posting and conversation. On one visit, I learned about a product I never knew existed!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Our book reviews section will be imported. This will take a little time because the importer first needs to be build and funding found.
    If the multimedia or trailer is available on multimedia hosting sites then you can add it to the media gallery and add a review there.

We do want our reviews to be objective so we want people to be honest about their affiliation to a product, company or service. Or if they have received free products.
    We do notice that sometimes and address it.

For instructions on how to use the Reviews Section please see here:
    Reviews FAQ - How to review items, create items, and more

5. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    Could the paraphernalia subforums which are superceded by the reviews functionality be made invisible or something? Reason being, viewing them is a little confusing now. The review I posted for the vaporite 3 in 1 platinum vaporiser was a 4 star review, but the thread I posted has a 5 star review. When one views the forum it looks as though the product received a different review to the one actually given it at the moment.

6. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    All review items have discussion threads which need to be visible in the forum and will come up in the new-posts function.

7. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    What about turning off thread reviews for those subforums? Or perhaps a different image for one rating to another?

To be clear this is the problem I'm talking about where the same item appears to have a five star and a four star rating from one review because one is the thread rating but that isn't clearly identified.

2017-06-04 (1).png

8. mess clean

mess clean Elemental Metal Member Silver Member Supporter Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from In your head.
    I think this is a great functionality. I have even used it a bit, to review a scale and answer a question. This isn't exactly bug testing, but things have worked well so far.

I think I'll look for a product to put up next. Maybe a vaporizer or my particular brand of CBD tincture?

9. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I think that will be needed. it implies that I will need to move review threads out of forums that also host other content, like the law forum.
    I will add a CBD category. CBD products will probably need certain specifications in the custom fields. I will think about that one.
    There is a vaporizer category where you can add a vaporizer and your review.

10. phil9262

phil9262 Solution User Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Question, since I've been a member, I've heard a lot of discussion and debates on good brands for poppy seeds. Would it be possible to make a review section for members to put brands of poppy seeds to review? Forgive me if this is against the rules but I don't see how it would be since we are allowed to discuss brands.

Thanks,
    Phil

11. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Rainbow Sprinkle Titanium Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from the opium den next door
    That might not be such a good idea... I don't think any of those companies would be too keen on being associated with "alternative" uses for their products...

Publicity is not our friend here.

12. mess clean

Reputation Points:
    from In your head.
    And, brands are one thing...but, openly discussing poppy seeds which can most obviously be used for illicit purposes...well, that's something else entirely.

13. phil9262

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    I hear where you coming from but maybe if it were only for a star review and no description?

14. mess clean

Reputation Points:
    from In your head.
    Alfa's call, as always.

15. phil9262

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Maybe you guys are right. I didn't really put too much thought into this. My apologies.

16. Bg DupeC.T.

Bg DupeC.T. Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from София град
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 24, 2017 ---
    Здравейте, голям thank for that Alfa

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
  17. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    We now also have review categories for:
    • Rehabs
    • Books
    • Drug testing, self screening tests, detox
    • CBD products
    • MMJ Dispensaries
    • Coffeeshops
    Your reviews are welcome here. See the above instructions.
    I have started to port book reviews from forum to the new system. If anyone wants to identify low quality images and post better ones, then that would be welcome.

18. phil9262

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    @Alfa Would it be possible to create a category for E-liquid reviews? I personally have a ton of products worth posting and I'm sure there's probably a good number of members that vape since the past few years it's becoming so popular especially with recovering addict that decided to quit smoking.

Thoughts?

19. Alfa

Reputation Points:
  20. phil9262

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Awesome! Whenever it's ready I'll post all the products I've tried.