Zaps in the side of neck like electricity?

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by kemistudent, May 5, 2006.

1. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Does anyone know what that weird zap is you get on the side of kneck that feels like you have just been stung with electricity?! I swear I hate that feeling and dread ever feeling it again but it seems like that happens once a month or so. Why!?

I have never had a seizure but I can imagine that feeling being the first stage of what a seizure feels like. If anyone knows what the hell is happening to the body when that zap takes place please share! If there is a way from preventing it please share to. If you have had a seizure before and can explain what that feels like please do. Thanks.

2. kemistudent

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    C'mon, am I the only one that knows what I am talking about? Does no one else get these zaps on occasion??

3. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Does the zap just come out of nowhere or is there something that triggers it. Im assuming your not talking about the static electricity shock you can get from other people/things coming into contact with you. Im not sure what your talking about.

And i had childhood epilepsy, but i only got siezures when first falling asleep or just waking up from sleep so i cant tell you what its like when a siezure is about to start, but i can tell you what its like during. For me it was completley random and uncontrollable convulsions, like there was nothing (including any zap) i felt that seemed to be causing my muscles to spasm so severely they just did it for no reason. But i may not have been paying much attention because these seizures would wake me up and my right side would be paralyzed and i was unable to talk, kinda scary for a 3rd grader.

I may be way off in what you were asking but i thought id give it a try. Maybe a little more detail would shed some light on the situation.

4. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    actually, I have had serious twitches from time to time. no idea if this is anything like your "zaps" but I get really big twitches. doctor says its from adhd, but Ive seen a lot of these from drug-users(I know you are not one though), and especially from the ones who has adhd AND drug-issues. mostly from cannabis and amph I believe. sorry for the very peronal question but do you have adhd? doctor told me that adhd can cause a lot of "twitches", which actually feels like like theyre caused by an electric shock, quite embarracing sometimes. dunno if its true but it may be an explanation he said.

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Could be static, could also be ssri 'aftershock'. Many people have reported electric shock-like symptoms during and after ssri withdrawal. Could just be that you're weird...:eek::crazy:eek:...:D! If it worries you though, get it checked out (if the insurance'll run to it!).

6. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Yes, happens to SWIM very often. He has spoken with a doctor about it, but she didn't seem to know what he was talking about. I am not on any SSRIs. The only meds he takes are cetizerine (Zirtec), an antihistamine.

7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Are you sure it's not just whiplash?

8. kemistudent

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    No, it's not static electricity!!

It's like the nerves in your neck get twisted together and it produces a very powerful zapping like feeling in your neck. Sometimes it happens when you move your neck in a odd manner.

SOrry if I wasn't clear, hopefully someone can relate here because im starting to wonder if this is just me.

9. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Ahh i know what your talking about now. i get them when i move my neck in a wierd way, but not any other times. The feeling is a sharp pain that does feel alot like a shock and that muscle contracts very hard and you whip you head back to where its comfortable. Is this similar to what you experience?

10. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    sounds like somebody needs to see a chiropracter (yes, swip is intentionally throwing that into the contriversy lol)

11. kemistudent

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yes, it is painful in a odd sort of way. It only last for a split second, that feels more like a full second, and sometimes it sucks much more than other times. When I posted this I had gotten one of the worse ones ever and I wasn't even moving my neck funny or anything. I was just sitting here looking at the monitor when all the sudden ERrZAP! The after effects lasted a while which were just a weird feeling. I kind of feel like it's going to happen again, and soon. I should rest my neck and lay down for a bit.

Maybe a chiropracter isn't a bad idea? Maybe the cables are all twisted in my neck?

12. oz_steve

oz_steve Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Does it happen before sleep? It may be a hypnagogic incident - neurones firing off spontaneously - this is the mechanism that underlies both epilepsy and deja va.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  13. glitterfly

glitterfly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The hynagogoic state is also a part of narcolepsy (hynagogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis)
    but yeah this happens to me sometimes too. this is one of the things that was happening the other day when I thought she was dying. she couldn't decide if it was her jugular or not, but I had been injecting ritalin but was also withdrawing from SSRIs, and an hour or two after picking up her meds she felt better, so je ne sais pas it is weird though, swim gets weird aches and pains all the time and she's probably just being paranoid thinking its her veins n such, kemi keep us posted on this one please :)

14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Like I said, it's whiplash. Your description fits perfectly.

15. davidBuster23

davidBuster23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    WOW!

This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone describing this. It happens to me once every few weeks and has been since I was a kid. I don't know what it is and have just kind of learned to accept it -- I used to almost fall over from the pain and surprise, but now it sometimes happens while I'm talking to someone and they don't even notice that anything is wrong. I think it has something to do with how I move my neck, but I can't be sure. I've asked a few doctor friends over the years, and none of them have had a clue what I'm talking about. Thanks for making me not feel like a freak guys :)

16. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Is it possible that you are attracted to ultraviolet light fixtures and you have little, smooth wings on your back? And does this usually happen when you are outdoors in the lawn or garden?

If this is the case, it would appear that you are a winged-insect and are flying into a bug-zapper. Good quality sunglasses should help you be able to ignore the ultraviolet light used to lure you into the machine.

17. Voices

Voices Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Seriously? no, never.

Maybe a chemical components in the soul... of your shoes-:D is, due to the friction created by pedestrian locomotion, causing negative Ions to be pulled from teh atmousphere around you, making you a sort of weak lightning rod. In which case I'd be thankful that I didn't wear size 13s.

18. davidBuster23

davidBuster23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I can't wait to use your theories the next time I complain to my doctor

19. korky8097

korky8097 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    well i had seizures back a while back and might have actually had one for the first time in a few years, im not sure though. Stood up too fast, tried to lean against something, all the sudden im like shaking in a epileptic manner trying also to keep my self from falling on the floor, could just be the standing up to quick, but this time was a little weird, could have been a seizure.

I have never remembered when i went into a seizure, but when you snap to you just dont know what the hell is going on for a few minutes. It feels like your brain just crashed and rebooted. I mean ive never experienced an actual feeling i recal from seizures, just before and after most of the time.

20. BlackCook

BlackCook Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I do have it, too.
    But only sometimes...i hadnt have this years ago.
    My doctor dont know what i was talking about, too.
    But i know a lot of people who have this.
    A pain which lasts only miliseconds from the neck to the head...feels like a nerv is twisted or gettin disrupted.

But interesting that noone knows what it is... and the wiplash...i dont know..