Addiction - Zyban (Bupropion)

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by darkglobe, Dec 24, 2006.

1. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I would just like to report that Zyban - a smoking cessation still relatively new in the UK - seems to have a lot of potential for being the most effective stop-smoking aid available.

I would recommend that anyone attempting to quit smoking, who hasn't tried Zyban, to go see your doctor about it.

I'll be honest, the side effects list is humungous, but I felt none of the side effects. My only other gripe is the fact that it sounds like something out of Star Trek....

~dark

2. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Zyban

Swim used Zyban to stop smoking....3 times. It did help me quit each time and I give it the credit it deserves. Foolish I started to smoke again after quitting cigs for almost 5 years. I have been an on and off cig smoker many years now, but each time SWIM quit....ZYBAN gets the credit....a painless quitting and withdrawal process.

I did not experience any side effects from the drug.

3. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

dark globe: how did Zyban help you? What are the side effects (even though You didn't feel any)?

If You is going to make recommendations, then they have to be backed up by some kind of explanation.

4. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

no side effects. SWIM's only read good things about zyban. Do you know how fast it works (seconds, minutes, days). And how big are the positive effects, would you say that it gives a smaller or bigger "high" than cigarettes?

5. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:

i would think nicotine patches or gum would be better than an anti depressant since you're still getting yor nicotine fix, just weaning off of it to reduce withdrawal.

6. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

i too have used zyban with excellent results for stopping smoking. When your using it your desire to smoke is pretty much nonexistent,it starts working in a day or two depending how much you take.the only side effect I noticed was insomnia,vivid dreams,increased libido
    and dry mouth. It take about 2 or 3 weeks for an anti-depressant effect to be produced.

seems like there is potenial for analogues or similar drugs which could help cocaine or meth users to quit, or to at least be a better alternative to using these drugs which have such a stigma and serious side effects for the people who get addicted to them;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_reuptake_inhibitor

7. bloot

bloot Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I actually take Wellbutrin ( same chemical just different names ) for anxiety.. Since I have been taking it quitting smoking became a breeze.. I would definitely recommend it, although for the first two weeks I experienced quite a bit of harsh nausea.

8. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia

Just wanted to clarify that Zyban is bupropion. There are quite a few threads discussing this drug. I am going to start taking it in the next week or two and she is hoping it will help her with a range of problems that she is fairly certain are symptoms of low dopamine levels since quitting methamphetamine. These are some of the things I think it may help her with:

Smoking cessation
    Methamphetamine cravings
    Weight loss
    Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
    Energy levels
    Concentration
    Depression

Bupropion (INN; previously known as amfebutamone,[1] brand names Wellbutrin, Zyban, Budeprion and Buproban) is an atypical antidepressant that acts as a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, and nicotinic antagonist.[2][3] Bupropion belongs to the chemical class of aminoketones and is similar in structure to the stimulant cathinone, to the anorectic diethylpropion, and to phenethylamines in general.
    Initially researched and marketed as an antidepressant, bupropion was subsequently found to be effective as a smoking cessation aid. In 2006 it was the fourth-most prescribed antidepressant in the United States retail market, with more than 21 million prescriptions.[4]
    Bupropion lowers seizure threshold and its potential to cause seizures was widely publicized. However, at the recommended dose the risk of seizures is comparable to the one observed for other antidepressants. In contrast to many psychiatric drugs, bupropion does not cause weight gain or sexual dysfunction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

9. thisaintjohn

thisaintjohn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    Bupropion sounds like a good idea because it mostly works as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and partially noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. It doesn't cause weight gain, treats SSRI induced sexual dysfunction, and is a terrific smoking cessation aid! +2 pts for zyban.

10. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    It didn't really work for SWIM, maybe she didn't stay on it long enough (only a couple of weeks) but it really just made her moody and did not make her want to smoke less at all. Bit of a let down really! Still looking for the miracle drug!

11. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    I found Bupropion took a minimum of 6 weeks to build to full proper effect (i.e. blocking nicotine receptors, full antidepressant effect, and diminishing of somewhat unpleasant side effects). He has been on it for about 10 months now, and 8 months completely smoke-free. I have a theory about its effectiveness (completely clinically unproven): that it is most effective in people who use nicotine (whether they know it or not) to self-medicate against depression. i.e. If you get depressed when quitting smoking, it may not be "grieving for your lost friend the cigarette" but a neurochemical thing, a dopamine imbalance that bupropion can address.

12. bloot

bloot Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    The thing is is that if you want to quit smoking cigarettes you have to want to not smoke. The bupropion won't just make you not want to smoke, but if you really want to quit it will help it out.