Ethan Nadelmann is the founder and executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, a non-profit organization working to end the War on Drugs. Ethan Nadelmann is known as a high profile critic and commentator on U.S. and international drug control policies.
Life and Career
Early YearsNadelmann was born on March 13, 1957 in New York City. He had a strict, Sabbath-observant upbringing in Yonkers, by his Father who was a Jewish Rabbi, my mother came from an Orthodox family. He admired his father's ability to unite a diverse congregation that included both fellow rabbis and members with barely a high school education.
When he was 18, he left home to attend McGill University in Montreal, where he began smoking hash. His drug use amounts to his marijuana use, which he knows remarkably little about and just recently got it straight between indica and sativa blends. Cocaine which he tried a few times and related it to drinking too much coffee and having post-nasal drip. And is more keen to psychedelics where he compares mushrooms to fasting on Yom Kippur "Once a year, it's a good thing." But finds ayahuasca to be the king of the hallucinogens.
While in graduate school and law school he found himself in a quandary about what interested him the most. He realized he was fascinated by the whole issue of how drugs and crime were dealt with. So he got a security clearance and went to work in the State Department’s Narcotics Bureau. He wrote the first classified report on the U.S. efforts to deal with drug related money laundering, and interviewed DEA and other law enforcement agents in 19 countries around the world.
Finding the whole policy as absurd lead to him devoting the rest of his life to teaching and educating about drugs and the way we deal with these things, and addressing broader issues in our society.
EducationMaster’s degree in international relations from the London School of Economics
B.A., J.D., and Ph.D. degrees from Harvard University
Nadelmann began his career after receiving his Ph.D., teaching politics and public affairs at Princeton University from 1987 to 1994, where he lectured and wrote extensively on drug policy, attracting international attention.
In 1994, Nadelmann founded the Lindesmith Center, a drug policy institute, created with and funded by philanthropist & social reformer George Soros. In 2000, the growing Center merged with another organization to form the Drug Policy Alliance, which advocates for drug policies grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights.
He has authored two books and his writings have appeared in most major media outlets in the U.S. as well as top academic journals (e.g., Science, International Organization), policy journals (Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, Washington Quarterly, Public Interest) and political publications from the right (National Review) to the left (The Nation). He is interviewed frequently by media, including The Colbert Report, The O’Reilly Factor, Real Time with Bill Maher, and news programs on all the major U.S. networks as well as dozens of networks elsewhere.
Notable Events and Accomplishments
ControversyNadelmann has referred to the United States' drug policies in Latin America as brutal and prohibitionist. He is an advocate for legalization in Latin America.
And has been a strong advocate of less restrictive cannabis laws in the United States including legalizing the use of cannabis for medical purposes, regulating recreational usage, and imposing civil rather than criminal penalties for those who are caught using or possessing small amounts of cannabis.
PoliticalNadelmann and his colleagues have played crucial roles in most of the major drug policy reform ballot initiative campaigns in the United States on issues ranging from medical marijuana and marijuana legalization to prison reform, drug treatment and reform of asset forfeiture laws. They also have reformed state and federal laws involving drug sentencing, access to sterile syringes to reduce HIV/AIDS, access to drug treatment, prevention of overdose fatalities, and all aspects of marijuana policy.
CultureIn the late 1970s during his collegiate youth, it was a time thought of as America's marijuana spring. In the Carter years, ending the federal war on marijuana seemed like a possibility with Carter himself in favor of decriminalizing the drug. But that would soon be squashed with the rise of Ronald Reagan and his strict ideas and policy concerning illicit drug use.
As he internalized his personal rage against the absurd nature of the drug war he quickly established himself as a top young expert in the field, lining up a professorship at Princeton, just as the drug war was reaching an all new level. While teaching at Princeton he formed the Princeton Working Group on the Future of Drug Use and Alternatives to Drug Prohibition, at a time when the drug reform movement was growing in strength and scope.
Was Influenced ByJohn Stuart Mill –Philosopher
Alfred R. Lindesmith
Has an Influence OnNadelmann plays a key role as drug policy advisor to George Soros and other prominent philanthropists as well as elected officials ranging from mayors, governors and state and federal legislators in the U.S. to presidents and cabinet ministers outside the U.S.
- Policing the Globe: Criminalization and Crime Control in International Relations [with Peter Andreas] (2006)
- Cops Across Borders: The Internationalization of U.S. Criminal Law Enforcement (1994)
- Psychoactive Drugs and Harm Reduction: From Faith to Science [with co-editors Nick Heather, Alex Wodak, and Pat O'Hare] (1993)
- Say it, Mr. President / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2013, February 12. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/obama-mass-incarceration_b_2669817.html
- “When Will Obama Adress the Issue of Mass Incarceration in America? Will he wait until it's too late?” / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / February 12, 2013 http://www.alternet.org/when-will-obama-adress-issue-mass-incarceration-america
- NY Times ad : prohibition is finally coming to an end / Nadelmann, Ethan., 2012, December 19. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/ny-times-ad-prohibition_b_2333287.html
- Parsing Obama's words on legalizing marijuana / Nadelmann, Ethan., 2012, December 14. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/obama-legalizing-marijuana_b_2300728.html.
- 5 Reasons the Feds Should Not Crack Down on Legal Pot / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / November 15, 2012 http://www.alternet.org/5-reasons-feds-should-not-crack-down-legal-pot
- Obama and the marijuana legalization initiatives / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, November 14. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/obama-and-marijuana-legal_b_2133049.html.
- Column : states right to legalize marijuana / Nadelmann, Ethan. USA Today, 2012, November 7. (Opinion) http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2012/11/07/marijuana-legalize-washington-colorado/1688121/.
- The genie has escaped the drug prohibition bottle / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, July 30. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/the-genie-has-escaped-the_b_1719640.html.
- You can't end AIDS unless you end the drug war / Krim, Mathilde; Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, July 24. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mathilde-krim/aids-drug-war_b_1698664.html.
- Colombia decriminalizes cocaine and marijuana, as Latin American momentum for drug policy reform continues / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, July 2. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/colombia-decriminalizes-c_b_1638395.html.
- Chicago to decriminalize marijuana / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, June 27. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/chicago-to-decriminalize-marijuana_b_1632417.html.
- Regulate drug use, don't criminalize it / Nadelmann, Ethan. New York Times, 2012, May 30. (Opinion) http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...n-drugs/regulate-drug-use-dont-criminalize-it.
- Obama's hypocritical war on marijuana / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, May 25. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/obama-marijuana_b_1546921.html.
- Will the push to legalize pot fade away? / Nadelmann, Ethan; Piper, Bill. Politico, 2012, May 25. (Opinion) http://www.politico.com/arena/perm/...per_4E3FCDAE-9C20-45F5-8515-8EB8C2EAD9E4.html.
- Drinking Your Own Urine to Survive? Just One of the Millions of Drug War Atrocities /AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / May 4, 2012, http://www.alternet.org/newsandview...st_one_of_the_millions_of_drug_war_atrocities
- The Prohibition of Ideas: Latin America's Rapidly Increasing, Historic Calls for Legalization Meet Staunch U.S. Resistance / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / March 12, 2012 http://www.alternet.org/story/15451...for_legalization_meet_staunch_u.s._resistance
- Legalization debate takes off in Latin America / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2012, March 10. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/legalization-debate-takes_b_1337053.htmll.
- Who We Are and Why We Fight: "People Who Do Drugs, and People Who Don't, Will End the War on Drugs" / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann /December 14, 2011 http://www.alternet.org/story/15344..._people_who_don't,_will_end_the_war_on_drugs"
- Reefer madness / Nadelmann, Ethan. The New York Times, 2011, November 6. (Opinion) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/opinion/reefer-madness.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=Ethan Nadelmann&st=cse&.
- The forty-year quagmire : an exit strategy for the war on drugs / Nadelmann, Ethan. The Nation, 2011, June 17th. (Opinion) http://www.thenation.com/article/161505/forty-year-quagmire-exit-strategy-war-drugs.
- Drug war anniversary a time for reflection and action / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2011, February 11. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/post_1717_b_821935.html.
- The Disastrous War on Drugs Turns 40: 5 Ways to Stop the Madness / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann /February 11, 2011 http://www.alternet.org/story/14989...on_drugs_turns_40:_5_ways_to_stop_the_madness
- The Prospects for Drug Reform in This Country Have Never Been So Good / The Nation / By Ethan Nadelmann / December 13, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/14917...eform_in_this_country_have_never_been_so_good
- In the Face of the Drug War's Total Failure, Can California's Legalization Battle Kick-Start a Movement for Change? / AlterNet / By Terrence McNally, Ethan Nadelmann / September 5, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/14809...ation_battle_kick-start_a_movement_for_change
- Obama Takes a Crack at Drug Reform / The Nation / By Ethan Nadelmann / September 3, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/148078/obama_takes_a_crack_at_drug_reform
- Marijuana legalization : not if, but when / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2010, November 3. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/marijuana-legalization-no_b_778222.html.
- Why Ending Marijuana Prohibition is a Racial Justice Issue / Change.org / By Ethan Nadelmann / May 12, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/146854/why_ending_marijuana_prohibition_is_a_racial_justice_issue
- Sting, Soros, Montel and More: We Are the Drug Policy Alliance / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / May 17, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/146895/sting,_soros,_montel_and_more:_we_are_the_drug_policy_alliance
- The Beginning of the End of Marijuana Prohibition / Change.org / By Ethan Nadelmann / February 16, 2010 http://www.alternet.org/story/145706/the_beginning_of_the_end_of_marijuana_prohibition
- ONDCP's fiscal year 2011 national drug control budget : are we still funding a war on drugs? / Nadelmann, Ethan. -- New York: Drug Policy Alliance, 2010. (Testimony)
- Walter Cronkite Knew a Failed War When He Saw One: Vietnam and the War on Drugs / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann /July 18, 2009 http://www.alternet.org/story/14141...when_he_saw_one:_vietnam_and_the_war_on_drugs
- Hey Progressives: Why Don't you Care About the "Drug War" Like You Care About Other Issues? / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / June 11, 2009 http://www.alternet.org/story/14050...e_"drug_war"_like_you_care_about_other_issues
- Help Mexico by Legalizing Marijuana / AlterNet / By Bill Piper, Ethan Nadelmann / March 23, 2009 http://www.alternet.org/story/133005/help_mexico_by_legalizing_marijuana
- Obama nominating Seattle police chief as drug czar / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2009, March 11. (Opinion) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/obama-nominating-seattle_b_173921.html.
- Let's End Drug Prohibition: Most Americans agreed that alcohol suppression was worse than alcohol consumption. / Nadelmann, Ethan A. Wall Street Journal, 2008, December 5. (Article; Electronic document on Web) http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...ine.wsj.com/article/SB122843683581681375.html.
- Opportunities for Drug Reform in the Obama Era / Drug Policy Alliance / By Ethan Nadelmann / November 7, 2008 http://www.alternet.org/story/106238/opportunities_for_drug_reform_in_the_obama_era
- Prop. 5 vs. the prison-industrial complex / Nadelmann, Ethan. Los Angeles Times, 2008, November 3. (Opinion) http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oew-nadelman3-2008nov03,0,3924232.story.
- America's Gulag Just Keeps Growing ? / AlterNet / By Ethan Nadelmann / April 24, 2008 http://www.alternet.org/story/83434/america's_gulag_just_keeps_growing
- Calderón y el combate al narcotráfico [Spanish] / Nadelmann, Ethan. La Jornada, 2007. (Article) http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2007/03/08/index.php?section=opinion&article=007a1pol.
- Fund Drug Treatment Rather Than Mexican Anti-Drugs Operations / Nadelmann, Ethan. San Francisco Chronicle, 2007. (Article) http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Fund-drug-treatment-rather-than-Mexican-3301949.php.
- Governor Richardson Poised to be First Presidential Candidate to Enact Medical Marijuana Legislation/ Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2007. (Article) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/governor-richardson-poise_b_43533.htmll.
- Mexico President Calderon Should Not Repeat Drug War Failures of the Past / Nadelmann, Ethan. Huffington Post, 2007. (Article) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/mexico-president-calderon_b_42376.html.
- Think Again : Drugs / Nadelmann, Ethan. Foreign Policy, 2007. (Article) http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2007/08/15/think_again_drugs.
- Keep Cigarettes Legal / Nadelmann, Ethan. The Huffington Post, 2006. (Article) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ethan-nadelmann/keep-cigarettes-legal_b_32477.html.
- Ethan Nadelmann - Speech at Cornell Law School / Nadelmann, Ethan. Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy, 2005. (Speech)
- Global War on Drugs : Part of the Edinburgh Lecture Series / Nadelmann, Ethan. Action on Alcohol and Drugs in Edinburgh, 2005. (Speech)
- II y último : La guerra antidrogas, peor el remedio que el mal / Nadelmann, Ethan. La Jornada [Mexico], 2005. (document) http://www.drugpolicy.or...s/LaJornadaEN120105.pdf.
- La guerra antidrogas, peor remedio que el mal / Nadelmann, Ethan. La Jornada [Mexico], 2005. (document)
- Reducing the Harms of Drug Prohibition in the Americas (English Translation With Footnotes) / Nadelmann, Ethan., 2005. (document)
- Addicted to failure / Nadelmann, Ethan. Foreign Policy, 2004. (Article)
- Criminologists and punitive drug prohibition : to serve or challenge? Ethan Nadelmann writes about criminal justice and the drug war. / Nadelmann, Ethan. Criminology & Public Policy: American Society of Criminology, 2004. (document)
- An End to Marijuana Prohibition. National Review Article by Ethan Nadelmann / Nadelmann, Ethan. National Review, 2004. (document)
- John Walters v. Ethan Nadelmann in National Review : Drug Czar Takes on Alliance Executive Director Over Marijuana Policy / Nadelmann, Ethan; Walters, John P. National Review, 2004. (document)
- Letter to the Ford Foundation / Nadelmann, Ethan.: Drug Policy Alliance, 2004. (document).
- Ethan Nadelmann's Letter to Frank Sapienza, Ph.D., Chief, Drug and Chemical Evaluation Section, Drug Enforcement Administration / Nadelmann, Ethan., 2003. (Letter)
- The drug war's failures / Nadelmann, Ethan. Project Syndicate, 2002. (Opinion)
- Nightline : The Battle over How to Fight the War on Drugs / Nadelmann, Ethan. ABC News Nightline, 1998. (Speech) http://www.mapinc.org/tlcnews/v98/n490/a04.html?2444.
- The War On Drugs Is Lost / Nadelmann, Ethan. National Review, 1996. (Article)
- Global Prohibition Regimes : The Evolution of Norms in International Society / Nadelmann, Ethan. International Organization v. 44., 1990. (Article)
- Drug prohibition in the United States - letters / Nadelmann, Ethan. v. 246.: Science, 1989. (document)
- Latin summit to discuss approach to drug war/ Nadelmann, Ethan; Montagne, ST].
- Obama's Colombia visit renews call to retool U.S. drug policy, PBS Newshour/ Calderon, Felipe; Nadelmann, Ethan; Santos, Juan Manuel; Suarez, Ray; Walser, Ray. / PBS.: PBS, 2012, April 13. (audio)
- Some Latin leaders want new approach to drug war/ Forrero, Juan; Nadelmann, Ethan; Perez Molina, Otto; Santos, Juan Manuel. / NPR. -- Bogota, Colombia: NPR's All Things Considered, 2012, April 12.
- Making the Case for Legalizing Marijuana / Nadelmann, Ethan; Siegel, Robert.: NPR Radio, 2007.
- Drug policy reform 2000 : opportunities and challenges / Nadelmann, Ethan. -- New York: Lindesmith Center, 1999, October 21. (Audio file on Web; Audio tape; Seminar presentation) In Lindesmith Center Library video and audio tapes collection.
[*]New York governor wants to decriminalize pot. Ethan Nadelmann on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell/ O'Donnell, Lawrence; Nadelmann, Ethan. / MSNBC., 2012, June 4. (Video)
- Obama refuses to back growing call for drug legalization to stem spreading violence in Latin America / Goodman, Amy; Nadelmann, Ethan. / Democracy Now!., 2012, April 16.
- Will legalizing drugs help end narco terrorism? Ethan Nadelmann debates Kevin Sabet on Hardball with Chris Matthews / Matthews, Chris; Nadelmann, Ethan; Sabet, Kevin. / MSNBC., 2012, April 16. (Video)
- Ethan Nadelmann : "The worst thing that could happen to organized crime is the legalization of drugs" interview with Moises Naim on Efecto Naim / Nadelmann, Ethan; Naim, Moises. / Efecto Naim., 2012, April 15. (Video)
- Class is dismissed : medical marijuana school raided / Johnson, Adam; Nadelmann, Ethan; Regan, Trish. / Bloomberg. -- New York, 2012, April 4. (Video)
- Push to legalise cannabis / Nadelmann, Ethan.: Network Ten, 2010.
- Atlantic exchange with Richard Branson and Ethan Nadelmann / Branson, Richard; Clemons, Steve; Nadelmann, Ethan. The Atlantic, 2012, March 15. (Video)
- The role of science and individual rights in drug policies/ Nadelmann, Ethan. -- Guatemala City, Guatemala, 2012, February 16. (Video)
- What is the role of science and individual rights in drug policies? Is the war on drugs, a lost war?] / Nadelmann, Ethan. -- Guatemala City, Guatemala, 2012, February 16. (Video) http://newmedia.ufm.edu/...leofsciencedrugpolicies.
- Constitutional freedoms, the uses of psychedelics, and MAPS' mission / Nadelmann, Ethan. / Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. -- Oakland, CA, 2011, December 11. (Video) http://www.livestream.co...-4318-9f35-cc51c3d41643.
- Drug policy during the Obama administration : an asssessment / Nadelmann, Ethan. / Harm Reduction Coalition. -- Austin, TX, 2010.
- Ethan Nadelmann speaks at NUAA / Nadelmann, Ethan. / NSW Users & AIDS Association. -- Surry Hills, Australia, 2010. (Video) http://www.nuaa.org.au/i...catid=14:news&Itemid=63.
- Ethan Nadelmann speaks with User's News editor Gideon Warhaft / Nadelmann, Ethan; Warhaft, Gideon. / NSW Users & AIDS Association. -- Surry Hills, Australia, 2010. (Video) http://www.nuaa.org.au/i...catid=14:news&Itemid=63.
- Ethan Nadelmann: The White House Experiments With Weed /By Big Think / Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, explains that recent marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington isn't simple. The Federal response (or lack thereof) will determine how the policy is actualized…
- Ethan Nadelmann Fox & Friends /by DrugPolicyAlliance / Time to Tax and Regulate Marijuana in California? Fox News Channel debate between Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance and David Evans of the Drug Free America Foundation.
- Ethan Nadelmann Debates O'Reilly About Failed Drug War / by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance debates Bill O'Reilly about the Failed War on Drugs. The segment also shows a DPA video that features Sting and Montel Williams.
- DPA's Ethan Nadelmann at Vail Symposium /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Drug Policy Alliance's Executive Director Ethan Nadelmann gives a spectacular speech at Vail Mountain College at a marijuana debate with Congrhttp://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/local_links.php?action=play&catid=144&linkid=13157&page=1essman Jared Polis and Colorado Attorney General John Suthers and recently retired DEA agent Anthony C…
- Ethan Nadelmann on C-SPAN Talking About the Global Commission on Drug Policy (part1of3) / by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of Drug Policy Alliance, appears on C-SPAN's Washington Journal to talk about the Global Commission on Drug Policy
- Ethan Nadelmann on C-SPAN Talking About the Global Commission on Drug Policy (part2of3) /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of Drug Policy Alliance, appears on C-SPAN's Washington Journal to talk about the Global Commission on Drug Policy
- Ethan Nadelmann on C-SPAN Talking About the Global Commission on Drug Policy (part 3of3) /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of Drug Policy Alliance, appears on C-SPAN's Washington Journal to talk about the Global Commission on Drug Policy
- DPA's Ethan Nadelmann Debates Former DEA Head Asa Hutchinson at University of Arkansas /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann the Director of the Drug Policy Alliance and former DEA Administrator and US Congressman Asa Hutchinson debate. The debate was sponsored by the Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) chapter at the University of Arkansas and …
- Legalization Update /by DrugPolicyAlliance / Ethan Nadelmann, the Executive Director of Drug Policy Alliance, talks about the latest developments in the struggle to legalize marijuana. With polls showing that nearly half of Americans support legalizing marijuana and budget woes causing lawmakers
- Drug War Update: Prohibition Violence in Mexico /by DrugPolicyAlliance /DPA Executive Director Ethan Nadelmann discusses the correlation between America's 40th anniversary of the war on drugs and prohibition-related violence in Mexico…
- Drug War Update: Obama and Medical Marijuana Raids /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, talks about the latest developments in the world of medical marijuana in the US. He also discusses President Obama's difficulties keeping his campaign promises and word as President …
- Drug War Update: Overincarceration /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, talks about overincarceration in the U.S. and how it's linked to the war on drugs.
- Drug War Update: Sovereignty /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, talks about individual rights and how the war on drugs oversteps those bounds.
- Drug War Update: Global War on Drugs /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, explains how Nixon's U.S. war on drugs was actually a global offensive that allowed America to spread its prohibitionist strategies worldwide.…
- Drug War Update: Why Are Some Drugs Illegal? /by DrugPolicyAlliance /Why are some drugs legal and others illegal? DPA's Executive Director Ethan Nadelmann breaks down the surprising history of drug prohibition in the United States.…
- Ethan Nadelmann Responds To DEA Claim That Marijuana Has No Accepted Medical Use / by DrugPolicyAlliance /Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, responds to the recent decree by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) that marijuana has no accepted medical use. The decision by the DEA comes almost nine years after medical marijuan…
- Ethan Nadelmann on Obama's Escalating War on Medical Marijuana Patients /by DrugPolicyAlliance
(At 37 seconds a correction is being offered. It should be state law not federal law)…
- Envisioning America Without the War on Drugs - A Talk with Ethan Nadelmann /by RooseveltICDP This talk is provided for free by Roosevelt University's Illinois Consortium on Drug Policy and Students for Sensible Drug Policy (Roosevelt University chapter).…
- Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance on drug violence in Latin America /by NoMoreBloodForDrugs / During this 'Minute for No More Blood,' Ethan Nadelmann, the director of the Drug Policy Alliance (www.drugpolicy.org) discusses real solutions to the violence unleashed in Latin America as a result of the drug war.
- Ethan Nadelmann: The Failure of the War on Drugs and a New Way Forward / by DrugPolicyAlliance /
One of the most influential and effective voices in the drug reform movement, Ethan Nadelmann (Executive Director, Drug Policy Alliance) presents Distorted Incentives: The Failure of the War on Drugs and a New Way Forward at TNP 2013…