The term narcotic (ναρκωτικός), based on the Greek word ναρκωσις (narcosis) has several meanings.
- A substance which when administered induces drowsiness, sleep, stupefaction or insensibility.
- Specifically, an opiate / opioid derivative, synthetic and natural.
- In United States legal context, narcotics refers to opium, opium derivitives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes. Cocaine and coca leaves, which are also classified as "narcotics" in the Controlled Substances Act (CSA)
- Inducing drowsiness sleep, stupefaction or insensibility [can be used of people, places, as well as substances]
- opium-like in its effect. Tags: